What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Love your Ancient's, my ebony is my favorite of anything Ive had the fortune to call my own, hope to one day acquire a scratted bone. Always appreciate such attention to heritage and history, thanks.

Sooooooo. . . . . .some changes to the next Ancient Barlow from GEC!!
TC as forged BOLSTERS.jpg Ancient 2018 Bolsters rough.JPG ANCIENT BARLOW 2.jpg

Crudely forged Bolster, modifed (for length) spear, squared off handle slabs (at the bolster - like the older ones) . Peened pins. We are going to try for the Bloodwood color (previous post #17120, top knife)), but it's hard to say how close it will come. I hope this is a knife you can use, and not devalue!!!
Whudda ya think of that??:eek:
:D

Last edited:
Charlie, you and GEC have nailed it, love the design and love the full swedge on the spear just like the old ones. If they can get the Bloodwood color right it will be a stunner, glad that original ended up in your collection, looks like you are putting it to good use.

IMG_4041.jpg IMG_4047.jpg

View attachment 898191 View attachment 898192 View attachment 898193

Crudely forged Bolster, modifed (for length) spear, squared off handle slabs (at the bolster - like the older ones) . Peened pins. We are going to try for the Bloodwood color (previous post), but it's hard to say how close it will come. I hope this is a knife you can use, and not devalue!!!
I think you should buff down the bolster stamp, so it looks worn off like the oldies.

View attachment 898191 View attachment 898192 View attachment 898193

Crudely forged Bolster, modifed (for length) spear, squared off handle slabs (at the bolster - like the older ones) . Peened pins. We are going to try for the Bloodwood color (previous post), but it's hard to say how close it will come. I hope this is a knife you can use, and not devalue!!!

Wow, Charlie! :eek: Love the Squared handle slabs. :thumbsup::cool: Hope they make a bunch of 'em!

Most excellent, Charlie! Another Ancient pattern! Yay! Cannot wait to see this one; so when might that be? :)

That looks incredible! I love the shape of the spear and all the tiny details you're putting into it (like the exposed pivot pin)! Can't wait.

Charlie, guild stamp like the first ancient ?
This one has an etch - an enlarged version of the Guild Stamp, John.
We are working on the problems of warpage on the last guild stamp, but we are not there yet.

Most excellent, Charlie! Another Ancient pattern! Yay! Cannot wait to see this one; so when might that be? :)
I am hoping by the end of May, Dean!!

Will there be one with wood covers?

After going 0 for 5 on the #77s I'm really excited for these!

They look like they'll be absolutely killer!!!!!

Back