What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Sooooooo. . . . . .some changes to the next Ancient Barlow from GEC!!
View attachment 898191 View attachment 898192 View attachment 898193

Crudely forged Bolster, modifed (for length) spear, squared off handle slabs (at the bolster - like the older ones) . Peened pins. We are going to try for the Bloodwood color (previous post), but it's hard to say how close it will come. I hope this is a knife you can use, and not devalue!!!
Whudda ya think of that??:eek:
:D

PHHHHWOOAARRRR!!! Charlie - this is WAY cool Barlow Charlie
I hope that Swedge does happen as to whats on the diagram! running onto the Tang there 'n all, Peened pins - yup:thumbsup: :cool: the marking on the Blade too - all this is going to be pretty amazing.

These ancients look incredible - really nice job indeed!
Would the spear be longer than the standard #15 spear?

Sooooooo. . . . . .some changes to the next Ancient Barlow from GEC!!
View attachment 898191 View attachment 898192 View attachment 898193

Crudely forged Bolster, modifed (for length) spear, squared off handle slabs (at the bolster - like the older ones) . Peened pins. We are going to try for the Bloodwood color (previous post), but it's hard to say how close it will come. I hope this is a knife you can use, and not devalue!!!
Whudda ya think of that??:eek:

Here you go, @1 ADAM12

PHHHHWOOAARRRR!!! Charlie - this is WAY cool Barlow Charlie
I hope that Swedge does happen as to whats on the diagram! running onto the Tang there 'n all, Peened pins - yup:thumbsup: :cool: the marking on the Blade too - all this is going to be pretty amazing.
PHHHHWOOAARRRR! How do you pronounce that??:eek:
I am campaigning to keep the swedge as seen!

Pardon my ignorance but what is the story behind the bloodwood dye?
Googling a "history of bloodwood" will give a better explanation than I can give, Camillus Camillus .
The dye was used to dye everything from Royal robes to knife handles for centuries!
Not the most stable of dyes, it darkens and/or fades under intense/sun light. Rare to find remaining on knife handles. I have a couple of good examples. I will add pics.

These ancients look incredible - really nice job indeed!
Would the spear be longer than the standard #15 spear?
Slightly longer I believe and hope! You often don't know what production conditions will demand, but longer is the goal!:thumbsup:

Are they all going to be the same or will they have different covers?
Sometimes Bill sneaks in 50 - 100 knives with a different handle. I never know until the end, but the plan is to make them all the same so everyone has a better chance at getting one. When I had 2, 3 or even 4 handle choices, it got expensive for collectors, and made them much harder to get.

Special Orders at GEC are limited to 500 knives, and fewer SFOs are being allowed. I can only get half the number of knives that I used to get since 2005.

I hope I can land one of these!!!! I would be exstatic! I was able to score my first TC during last year's run...just gotta stay O.C.D and check the dealers sights!

Looking forward to it. The previous ancient is one of my favorites. I think it is a lot of fun to see GEC go the extra mile to get that old worn and ancient feel into a new knife.
fsSMe0x.jpg

Looking forward to it. The previous ancient is one of my favorites. I think it is a lot of fun to see GEC go the extra mile to get that old worn and ancient feel into a new knife.
fsSMe0x.jpg
That that is a beautiful collection. What type of bone is on the TC Barlow at the very bottom?

Back