What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

I like them either way, Ron! I think I've seen it, but I'm not really sure till it arrives. When I bought it, the gentleman selling it said this was the actual shot but I won't know for certain till it gets here. That's all part of the fun!:)
This is the shot that he posted, when it was for sale, then I bought it. BTW, he has changed his shot to another since I bought what I think is this one.

As you can see, this new posting shows a different knife.

Last edited:
Oops. Credit where credit is due addendum.
The general pattern and blade shape was ripped off from a GEC 15 that was taken apart traced, scanned and blown up a little and the squared off end idea was stolen from a John Lloyd Barlow I saw on VCM3’s site.

Ripped off and stolen????
I prefer the words Adapted and paid tribute to.
One to be very proud of.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Looking forward to the next #14 TC. This was my first TC Barlow from Bob @ Old Hundred Collectibles. Bob was nice enough to get a hold of me and sell his last 14 TC. He was a great gentleman to deal with.

XzGkWWF.jpg

Looking forward to the next #14 TC. This was my first TC Barlow from Bob @ Old Hundred Collectibles. Bob was nice enough to get a hold of me and sell his last 14 TC. He was a great gentleman to deal with.

XzGkWWF.jpg

I had forgotten how beautiful the heartwood model is, Tim! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you Dean & Jerry. My pics unfortunately do not do these covers justice. They have this really nice simmer / glow in the right light.
pmek5

They definitely have a shimmer to them. It is very hard to capture the look you get when held in hand. I tried a lot of pictures without much luck. This was the best I was ever able to do on mine for catching the potential of the wood.
VE90CvC.jpg

MhePHYE.jpg

The Muscadine handles vary through several shade of Port-style wines; somewhat oxidzed.
That's a nice one, Perry!:thumbsup:

pmek5, Burnt Stag, Perry and Jerry, I am glad to see some folks appreciating that heartwood! I keep one right in front in a drawer next to my desk, so I can CE and CF it once in a while!:)

Paul H, that Ivory bone ages and mellows real nice! Like 80-year-old Ivory, but in a very short time!! Wonder how it will look in another 10-20 years??? Post it again, then, will you please??:D

Nice comparison shot, redsparrow! You just have to fill in a couple more for a full set!:rolleyes:

Dont cha just love this thread? The diversity and uniqueness of the Barlow:thumbsup: subtle things like how the smooth Ivory bone mellows with time. A 2013 Sheepfoot in now mellowed bone:thumbsup:
tluZeI.jpg

OV1jqp.jpg

does this go right in the pocket or in a slip Paul? Been hunting for something in smooth ivory bone but I believe there were very few 15 clips made.

does this go right in the pocket or in a slip Paul? Been hunting for something in smooth ivory bone but I believe there were very few 15 clips made.
Jack, this one is pocket carried (no slip) solo without anything else in me pockets;)

Jack, this one is pocket carried (no slip) solo without anything else in me pockets;)

and the bone is staying quite smooth! nice! ive seen some smooth bone with that shiny coat sort of worn away over time, and it just gives the impression of a well loved knife

Back