What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

I'd go for an Ebony...one of my favorite cover materials !

THIS!

Honestly, I don't have a GEC in ebony for one reason..........I have not seen an ebony scale with a long pull combo! (they are probably out there, and I am just dense).

If the Northfields came in ebony (which I see no reason they have not made that combo, ebony and long pull), I would be all over them.

Last edited:
I am really looking forward to the saw cut bone, when done right it is always interesting. Ebony would be great too, it always works. I would really like to see some of the acrylics, the root beer would be great IMHO.

Both sawcut and ebony on the barlow would really round out the design of this knife and make it a true "traditional barlow," from bolster-stamp to cover... IMHO. This is really shaping up to be an awesome pattern, I can't wait to add one, or two, to my pile!!!

I was given this over 20 years ago...
WesternBarlow006.jpg

Nice long-pull clip, Bones! Looks like that knife has been used and appreciated!

Going to be some very nice looking Barlows! GEC is just killing it! They're
making some fantastic "old school" knives... Thanks for all of your hard work Charlie!

Jason

Nice long-pull clip, Bones! Looks like that knife has been used and appreciated!
Thank you sir, but I'm not familiar with "long-pull clip."

Yeah, my grandfather used to use a electric sharpener, so its worn considerably.

I really like this thread, it makes me look at more of the older patterns.

Thank you sir, but I'm not familiar with "long-pull clip."

Cross Bones,

The main blade on your barlow is a clip blade. Its pull, or indent in the blade by which to open it with a thumb- or fingernail, is a long straight line-- a "long pull." Alternate indents are crescents called "nicks."

Long pull on a clip blade:

GEML281111BS.JPG

Nail nick on a clip blade:

GEML281111EB.JPG

Specific to this thread, here's this picture again:

849.jpg

At the left of the picture, the main spear blade has a long pull, the smaller secondary pen blade has a nail nick-- just like on your barlow, although the nick on your pen blade is longer.

I hope this helps. :)

~ P.

Last edited:
It's more along the lines of the spear mains on the White Owls. :thumbup:

~ P.

Yep, the White Owl's spear shape is nice, and both knives are 3.5" closed. I am guessing, though, that the #15's blade will be a bit thicker than the W.O.'s, and that the #15 overall will be a noticeably beefier, more rugged knife. Would that be right?

Andrew

Thanks for keeping us informed ~P, AWESOME!, man that HJ6 is a beautiful looking knife!,.
Charlie-great news about the Ebony coming on through! - this will be a true Traditional Barlow!!

At the left of the picture, the main spear blade has a long pull, the smaller secondary pen blade has a nail nick-- just like on your barlow, although the nick on your pen blade is longer.

I hope this helps. :)

~ P.

Thanks, I've been getting more into traditionals lately, but there is a lot to learn.

Hey Duncan, what are you doing hanging around here?? Shouldn't you be ironing your Kilt for the big day??;)
Hope it goes wonderfully for you and Sue!:thumbup:

Last edited:
Back in the my toasty home...the wind and cold at bay....coffee brewing ...Barlow theosophy. I feel the attraction!

What constitutes the subtle attraction? Is it the evocation of the magic of Quadrivium geometry? The linguistic invocation of the symbol of the bolster stamp?

The bolsters visual insight into the theory of thirds?

I too ...must ruminate

I never forgot this post, Gev. At one time I learned a little about the Quadrivium, part of the Ancient Greek theory of education, which leads hopefully, to pure philosophy. However it was mostly lost on my hormone jumbled noggin, at the time.

But indeed contemplation of what makes the Barlow such a pleasing blend of art and function, can surely be a form of pure philosophy.
I suspect my "kids" will find me often, in future years, snoozing in the rocking chair, a Barlow or two in my lap!!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back