What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Klj62WT.jpg

I know I've posted these before, but with all the big bad daddy barlows, and red bone being posted I couldn't resist getting another shot in :D

Charlie, love that jigged bone Grand Daddy Case, that's got to be rare.

I've had a busy winter and not much time to post but I have still been acquiring knives, have to catch up. Added a bolster stamp I did not have, RCC for the Robeson Cutlery Co, nice saw cut on this knife and the handles are proud like the old English Barlows.

IMG_0033.jpg

Also added a spey blade Diamond Edge, pretty sure Schrade made, vintage spey blade Barlows are hard to find but I have managed to acquire 5 so far.

IMG_0043.jpg IMG_0042.jpg IMG_0046.jpg

Robeson made a lot of Redbone Barlows, like several of this group! Robeson made them with semi-sunk joints and lots of "rounding" - very smooth in the pocket!
Oh my goodness Charlie they are sublime.

This C.F. Wolfertz is my favorite Barlow
A beautiful saw cut Kevin!

Case made a handful of these as prototypes in 1970 (ten dots)

Schrade Cut Co Barlows, (one Case at the top of the second pic) likely after WWI
Thanks for posting these Charlie. Amazing

I know I've posted these before, but with all the big bad daddy barlows, and red bone being posted I couldn't resist getting another shot in
Fine examples David!

Charlie, love that jigged bone Grand Daddy Case, that's got to be rare.

I've had a busy winter and not much time to post but I have still been acquiring knives, have to catch up. Added a bolster stamp I did not have, RCC for the Robeson Cutlery Co, nice saw cut on this knife and the handles are proud like the old English Barlows.

View attachment 1102005

Also added a spey blade Diamond Edge, pretty sure Schrade made, vintage spey blade Barlows are hard to find but I have managed to acquire 5 so far.

View attachment 1102007 View attachment 1102009 View attachment 1102010
Wonderful additions John.

Another Robeson picture! Shows the semi-sunk joints. Note how little of the Tang Corner shows, compared to the Queen-made example at the bottom!!
View attachment 1101719

Queen slapping the RCC stamp on a 69 frame Barlow never sat right with me. They did manage a good approximation of the old Robeson worm-grooved strawberry bone, however (IMO).

Nice Knives :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Would I like a GEC rounded bolster barlow?

You Betcha! :D

69c314b6b99c139576a6a9a395184aabc734e186c41b764594f8a053c852eb6f.jpg

We may have created a monster...

Kevin, Ulster and Schrade made knives for Wolfertz. That sure looks like an Ulster or a Schrade.

Felt pretty validated reading some of these comments about the big Wolfertz. Schrade popped out at me pretty quickly and I'd bet dollars to donuts that thing came from Walden, NY.

Wolfertz seems to have a wide array of manufacturers do runs. The Wolfertz standard Barlow I have (different stamp) seems to be Camillus.

30373066280_d9a0dce727_k.jpg

Charlie - Case never actually released a 10 dot Graddaddy barlow then?
I sure hope so, otherwise the one I carried last week for Red Bone Barlow Bonanza is an elaborate and well-crafted fake.

29003699780_2b0208e447_k.jpg

Back