What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Q1z9ieK.jpg
One of my absolute favourites. And a great shot.

Probably a silly question, but does the extended bolster on the Barlow design make the knife any tougher? I mean does that extra metal support the pivot pin better or make the joint more robust? Or is it just a cosmetic thing?

jstrange jstrange
Others would certainly have better information but to me the added bolster would more support the frame from being bent from the torque of the blade in hard use situations. This would make the overall knife stronger, but I don’t think it lends any more support to the pin than any other bolster.

jstrange jstrange
Others would certainly have better information but to me the added bolster would more support the frame from being bent from the torque of the blade in hard use situations. This would make the overall knife stronger, but I don’t think it lends any more support to the pin than any other bolster.
Sounds logical to me. Thanks.

Probably a silly question, but does the extended bolster on the Barlow design make the knife any tougher? I mean does that extra metal support the pivot pin better or make the joint more robust? Or is it just a cosmetic thing?
Not a silly question at all. I believe that, in theory, that was basically the whole point behind the creation of the barlow. In other words, that added strength isn't just incidental; rather, the bolster was lengthened specifically to that end. Now, how much increased strength actually results, I don't know. I've often shared J jsdistin 's thought about it not really doing THAT much more to support the pin. But I believe that was the original motivation behind the design. There are certainly people in this thread who know a lot more than me on the subject.

Last edited:
Case made a handful of these as prototypes in 1970 (ten dots), but never put them into full production!! An avid 10-dot collector made me an offer I could not refuse, so it's moved on!:rolleyes: Shown here with a TC for comparison.
View attachment 1101737 View attachment 1101738

Interestingly, after posting the older picture of Case's 10-dot Prototype, I found another Prototype from the same year. The collector I got this one from thinks Case was trying a few variations in 1970. This one has an alternate jigging, the same brass liners and nickel bolsters!! Always interesting to see another chapter in the long history of Case. Does anyone have more information about these???
Daddy Proto 1.jpg Daddy Proto 2.jpg Daddy Proto 3.jpg Daddy Proto 4.jpg

Killer picture, C-dog!! cigarrodog cigarrodog

Interestingly, after posting the older picture of Case's 10-dot Prototype, I found another Prototype from the same year. The collector I got this one from thinks Case was trying a few variations in 1970. This one has an alternate jigging, the same brass liners and nickel bolsters!! Always interesting to see another chapter in the long history of Case. Does anyone have more information about these???
View attachment 1104338 View attachment 1104339 View attachment 1104340 View attachment 1104341

Killer picture, C-dog!! cigarrodog cigarrodog
That jigging is something else!

That jigging is something else!

Thanks, MCar!!:thumbsup:
After staring at the jigging for a while in the pictures, I realized that the two knives were jigged on the same machine!! The jigging cutters were set deeper on the second, most recent, knife!!
Or, the surface was sanded off on the first one, either way getting the same effect!!!

Here they are again, albeit in the reverse order. With a little imagination, you can see the depth of cut shows the difference in appearance!! I hope!!:rolleyes:
Daddy Proto 4.jpg Case Daddy Pro 2.jpg

Hi Charlie and thanks for helping with the question on the 10 dot Grand-daddy - well I can see why those Cases you have kindly shared are a wee bit on the Rare side- and to boot- so soooooooo beautifully tidy - can I say Mint!
Wow Factor there my friend.
the jigg Work on those cases is exceptional!

Steve C love those Winchesters, Hillbilly last page- the colour saturation looks good on those two Oldies.

Augie - nice to see that I*XL in with those gorgeous older examples mate, I love the iron Bolsters and the rawness of that Knife

rasta-bomb - nice 10 dot G/D gorgeous Bone!

Back