What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

I only have two barlows... well, three if you count my "euro-barlow" from Lionsteel. One is the Bear and sons that I took a chance on... it's actually pretty well put together, with the exception of the opening of the pen blade.. they managed to get an extra "stop" in it at about 130 degrees. My biggest complaint about it is the "squareness" of it. The edges are not rounded much at all, making it feel too angular in the hand.
Bear%20barlow_zpspliwwayy.jpg

My other... the one I have in my pocket as I type this, is a vintage Kutmaster. It just feels great, handles well, comfortable, and it takes a really nice edge. Scales are uuuuugly, though. I can live with that.

Kutmaster%20face_zpswnyfipnv.jpg

I only have two barlows... well, three if you count my "euro-barlow" from Lionsteel. One is the Bear and sons that I took a chance on... it's actually pretty well put together, with the exception of the opening of the pen blade.. they managed to get an extra "stop" in it at about 130 degrees. My biggest complaint about it is the "squareness" of it. The edges are not rounded much at all, making it feel too angular in the hand.
Bear%20barlow_zpspliwwayy.jpg

My other... the one I have in my pocket as I type this, is a vintage Kutmaster. It just feels great, handles well, comfortable, and it takes a really nice edge. Scales are uuuuugly, though. I can live with that.

Kutmaster%20face_zpswnyfipnv.jpg
Here are some Uticas, cousins of your Kutmaster - Utica-made! Including Case Ka-Bar and Schrade!!UticaMadeBarlows.jpg

Here are some Uticas, cousins of your Kutmaster - Utica-made! Including Case Ka-Bar and Schrade!!View attachment 1145123
Now THAT'S a collection of Kutmasters! I didn't realize there were that many variations. I might have to look for some more.. although I don't know what I'd do with them... but since when has that been a game changer?

I've been really pleased with mine. Takes a really good edge, comfortable to hold and use.. good, basic, "do just about everything" knife.

View attachment 1145076 View attachment 1145078 View attachment 1145077

Does anyone know if these old Case sawcut redbone barlows looked like this when they were new or does the bone change over the years?

Leslie, from what I've observed bone tends to darken with age if it's not a user, if it's used and carried a lot the Case red bone tends to turn orange.

Case red bones can have quite a variety of color, dark, light, browns, whites, spotted, just depends nohow the bone took the dye, I would say yours is pretty close to what they would look like new.

Several pictures of little used Case red bones showing the wide variety of color,

IMG_4025.jpg IMG_4772.jpg IMG_8408.jpg IMG_5611.jpg IMG_5612.jpg

Then we have the users turning orange,

IMG_5322.jpg IMG_0027.jpg

Here are some Uticas, cousins of your Kutmaster - Utica-made! Including Case Ka-Bar and Schrade!!View attachment 1145123
WOW Charlie. Glorious array of barlows!
- think this'un speaks for itself..!

T%20Ablett%2001.jpg
Yes it does Paul .. and quite eloquently.:eek:

Leslie, from what I've observed bone tends to darken with age if it's not a user, if it's used and carried a lot the Case red bone tends to turn orange.

Case red bones can have quite a variety of color, dark, light, browns, whites, spotted, just depends nohow the bone took the dye, I would say yours is pretty close to what they would look like new.

Several pictures of little used Case red bones showing the wide variety of color,

View attachment 1145205 View attachment 1145206 View attachment 1145207 View attachment 1145208 View attachment 1145209

Then we have the users turning orange,

View attachment 1145210 View attachment 1145211
What a treasure trove John. Thanks for posting them.

Did Queen ever make a grand daddy barlow? If so did they ever make one with a stamped bolster? By Queen, I mean tang/bolster stamped Queen not S&M or any other.

edit - I am beginning to realize they made some. I have just never come across one made like the classic older Queen barlows (reg size).

Last edited:
Did Queen ever make a grand daddy barlow? If so did they ever make one with a stamped bolster? By Queen, I mean tang/bolster stamped Queen not S&M or any other.

edit - I am beginning to realize they made some. I have just never come across one made like the classic older Queen barlows (reg size).
to

I contacted a seller on craigslist that had one of these, however he never responded.
rEG4apJ.jpg

Not my pic btw. Also Google Queen Dan Burke large Barlow, those are beautiful pieces imo.

Back