What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

I like the size of them, not too big a blade so that you lose where the tip is or cut things you didn't intend to cut, also the two bladed versions provide some thickness to the handle so it fills the hand better for control, at least for me, I know not everyone would agree but that's why they make other versions ;)

IMG_7327 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr
G2

Last edited:
Yeah, I like the two bladed versions too. The fit & finish on my two is really good & they seem like solid users. I may need to get one of the red bones, with the etching on the bolsters though. Just because :).
IMG_0783-X3.jpg

IMG_0782-X3.jpg

I gotta quit visiting this thread... I'm still waiting on delivery of a jigged bone Case CV barlow... no idea when Case will produce it. I was told it would be a couple of weeks, but it's been that already...:(

View attachment 1146033 View attachment 1146034

Thanks so much for the informative post @Augie ! That was exactly what I wanted to know. You have an incredible barlow collection. I will probably stay pat with these three.

@Chui , that Ablett is off the charts Paul. I am very sorry that I began collecting after he was gone. I would have loved to own one or two of his knives. Thanks for showing it.

Well, the best thing about this thread is that Charlie is posting again. Am so very happy about that and it has been quite incredible to see the outpouring of concern from a multitude of BF members. Restores one’s faith in people. Now, onto infinitely more trivial matters. I probably won’t get the opportunity to take this type of photo again. After a long time I found myself with 4 x 15 TC 151113 Ebony Barlows. Let one go recently to an outstanding BF Member. Best to all. MJ.

D2B8BA99-1288-4ECD-952E-15AF247CAFA8.jpeg

I am not the biggest Barlow fan. But this knife is beautiful, and I really enjoy giving it pocket time.

ruyL63J.jpg
Hey nice I have it’s twin she’s in my pocket as we speak and I do use the heck outta it. I have a red soup bone also but that one stays pristine I just can’t make myself scratch that one up.

Back