What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Finally Case is looking at some traditional Barlows, and making new ones look right!!!:thumbsup:
Way to go Case XX!!:D

That may be true but still no TC...not trying to suck up here but so many of the newer Barlows including those from across the pond don't have the long narrow tapering bolster as exhibited on a TC...to me they look like a tongue depressor.

To me,this is a Case Barlow that never gets old.
Iy9IM3W.jpg

If y'all don't mind, I'm going to quote myself from the Case Barlow thread:
I find this answer from Case fascinating. When I look at almost all old sawcut bone, the cuts are curved and diagonal. Basically they are the marks left by the saw when cutting the slabs of bone for handles. It leads me to a question. (maybe I should ask it in the "what makes a traditional Barlow thread")

I always assumed that bone was cut into slabs for handles, later to either be polished smooth or jigged. On an inexpensive working knife like a Barlow, those finishing steps are skipped, and the saw marks remain. Over the years, this became so associated with the Barlow pattern that when Delrin covers were used, the molds were made to simulate sawcuts. I'm wondering, in this current production run of Barlows, are these actual saw cuts, or are they a type of jigging applied to the bone?

I'm not really complaining, but the straight horizontal lines on mine don't look to me like marks made by a saw. Maybe more like a coarse rasp file run across the flat bone, or some other jigging technique.

mzxmRrG.jpg
8vvyWwK.jpg

I rather like the mottled, appaloosa effect of the dye. It should go well with a patina. :):thumbsup:
Since this is the thread that asks, "What makes a traditional Barlow?" does anyone have any insight into what makes traditional saw-cut Barlow covers? Am I right in assuming that the marks were actually left from cutting with a saw? Are they still done that way, or is it a kind of jigging applied later in the process?

Back