What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

I'm not trying to be a jerk at all, so that said could somebody please explain the TC barlow thing to me? Somehow in my time of collecting traditionals this passed me by. Thanks.
Since December 2012 I have been commissioning GEC to make me the most traditional Barlows possible, and people on this forum have enjoyed owning them and using them!!
By far my favorite Special Factory Orders!! IMO they are everything a Barlow should be and a little more!! I still have and use the first one out of the box!! Here's a pic from 2015!!!
Old Boiley Aug 2015 A.jpg

View attachment 1215704

Charlie, they are truly works of art!! Thanks waynorth waynorth

And I want to thank our moderators Frank and Gary. It takes a night like tonight to make it crystal clear that the Porch would not exist without them. If this Forum was allowed to become rude and obnoxious like so many others are, all the good people would clear out very quickly leaving what is left to the bad ones.

Misplaced Hillbilly Misplaced Hillbilly , man you are so right! I just checked in here for a minute last night and was shocked to see what was happening. Frank jumped right on it, and the deadman flamed out within an hour! Good riddance! It did make for an exciting evening, but I can do without that kind of excitement.

Last edited:
They're not art. They're copy cats of the past so market as such.
There are thousands out there who disagree with you! Even Sal Glesser, a kind and knowledgeable man, admits they design knives to use, not to look at also!! "For the hand Not for the eye" in his words!!
GEC's are not copycats, but tributes and improvements!!
Ignore the past and you are doomed to repeat it!!
You are no where near understanding!!! It comes of not doing your homework!!:rolleyes:

I'm not trying to be a jerk at all, so that said could somebody please explain the TC barlow thing to me? Somehow in my time of collecting traditionals this passed me by. Thanks.

GEC TCs reinvigorated the interest in traditional Barlows. As a result, other cutlery manufacturers have now reintroduced (or introduced) Barlows because of the TCs....including Lionsteel like yours pictured above (a beautiful knife but doubtful you would have if it weren't for the TC). None of the other Barlows including GEC's own 77s, however, have the soul that was poured into them by Mr. CC...he sweats the details and much of this attention to detail is spelled out on the tubes in which the TCs are shipped. Spears, clips, sheepsfoot, one-arm, and spey; nail notch and long pull; secondary pen blades behind or in front of main; as well as traditional cover materials, a wide variety of models all tied to historic Barlows BUT brought to a level of fit and finish not seen on older originals. I'll put a blood red soup bone TC up against any traditional knife for beauty AND function. I guess it is just one of those you either get it or you don't things.

The deadman account has been removed.
Multiple insult and trolling posts plus sassing a mod (me) in his response to an official warning.
Close to record time for accumulating 50 warning points.

This is life where one would say - "well at times you need to be unhappy to know true happiness", also you will need to experience life's losers to know the good guys", but we didn't need Deadman to prove this as we know it already! :D
The Porch is full of Good Guys and Gals :thumbsup:

It's like people complaining of poor tv programs. Noone forces them to watch...
992864928.gif

Deadman lives in Infamy!!:D But is soon Forgotten!!:)

Back to knives; Bill won't put Stag on Tidioute knives usually, and I couldn't Bear the micarta, so I decided to kill two birds with one stone, and had Evan rehandle my forum Barlow (2017) with good old Sambar!!
RE BF 2017 1.jpg RE BF 2017 2.jpg RE BF 2017 3.jpg

Here is a good old barlow that was rescued thanks to Dale V. Half of the center pin was gone and the blades were not working properly, nothing was in pieces but it was no good. Now it has a new center pin and all is well. I sharpened and re tipped the blades so it is now a carryable. I'll take this over buying a new barlow any day. :)

IMG_5516.JPG
IMG_5517.JPG

Back