What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Good and traditional...

Rto23RL.jpg

Joan Mae at GEC also told me the "R" stands for REPAIR! It was an intermittent policy to mark the knives as such!
I sent a knife for repair once. They told me it would be stamped as such, but when I had it returned, it wasn't stamped. So I was a bit hesitant to be too affirmative.

This almost 1000 page thread has made me REALY want an Old Sheffield Barlow for my collection :D

A good while ago I placed a backorder for a Boker Hornbeam Barlow and a regular Boker Barlow at my local European dealer.
Yesterday however, I received an email from them informing me of a limited run they were doing with Boker. When I saw the materials and the price I just had to jump on it. I contacted their customer service asking the regular Barlow to be shipped with this order instead of the hornbeam backorder.

Long story short, since I got immobilized by ripping a tendon yesterday, I was home to welcome the mailman on my crutches.

Here they both are. The regular Boker Barlow in Grenadill wood handles and with a 440c blade, as well as the limited (mine's 10/325) in natural canvas micarta and O1 tool steel.

I apologize in advance for the pictures but they had to be taken inside with artificial light due to me being unable to move around much right now.

Both in opened position:
mCQJVm4.jpg

Both opened again:
GLPgJek.jpg

Half stops (smooth backspring):
mfZWEzq.jpg

Closed. One is dead center, the other one slightly preferring one side:
KFOb22c.jpg

The regular one has no markings. The exclusive has the steel and # stamped on the blade.
bf4bv3t.jpg

Both closed, sideshot.
VEZAy38.jpg

I must say I am very, very happy with both of these. They are both just very well crafted. No major gaps to speak of, walk and talk is very nice and snappy but not too strong. Pins are flush, scales and bolster are flush. These knives offer a lot of value for the price you pay. They honestly make me quite disappointed in the Case vault smooth bone Barlow I got a few weeks ago. Speaks a ton about the quality our friends in Germany are delivering right now.

Back