What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waynorth, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Augie

Augie Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2014

Thank you Harry, Yes it is, there were several cutlers in the Furness family making Barlows. If I remember right this one is made by George Furness.

Old Engineer likes this.
  2. herder

herder Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Beautiful Barlows everyone, and waynorth, that wonderful old group makes my heart flutter!!! :)

Here is one of the more unusual Barlow models that I have run across. It's a large fellow at 4-1/2 inches closed and has two unusual features. While not terribly uncommon, lockback Barlows are not often seen but
    Russell did offer lockback blades on a few of their models. Most unusual though is the folding handguards which I haven't seen on another Barlow model. The front blade stamp reads "Ideal Products, Inc." which would have been a retailer and not manufacturer. The back of the blade tang read "Solingen Germany" and I believe it was made around the 1950s / 1960s era. It's a fairly well made knife all in all with nickel silver bolsters and folding guards, and attractive celluloid handles.

BF Barlow Swing Guard.jpg

3. matfox

matfox Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 1, 2015
    [​IMG]

4. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Fodderwing, Ironbut, matfox and 14 others like this.
  5. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    I am not sure that Russell made the best Barlows but they were the first to make them in the U.S.A. and actually the very first Barlow that I bought was a Russell . It was and is not in the best of shape . Shown here with my first SEO&S .
    [​IMG]
    So I have been looking for a Better one since at a price that I would pay . It finally arrived yesterday and I posted it on a few of the threads but thought it was now time to put on this thread . Not the best in the world but acceptable to me .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The arrow in the previous picture may look out of Focus but it is not. It was Double Struck and I Like it a lot .
    [​IMG]

Harry

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  6. herder

herder Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2007
    That looks like a very nice and early Russell Barlow.

waynorth and Old Engineer like this.
  7. Old Engineer

Nov 30, 2014
    Thank you very much my friend . I am happy to hear your opinion on the age .

Harry

waynorth likes this.
  8. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    I just recently acquired my first Russell, it was in a box of knives I bought for a odd Camillus tl29 that someone put together from unfinished parts. The blades haven't had edges ground,(future project)anyway more on it later in another thread. The Russell appears to have Iron bolsters as I can see grain in it as wrought iron would. The sad part though its in worse shape than your first,the pivot pin is broken and the main blade is missing :(. I'll be posting pics soon of my find with the other very badly treated knives in that box(quite a few are paki shi...stuff:poop:) Oh well 10 bucks for the lot,theres a Case XX era one arm barlow thats also in really sad shape. :(

9. Travman

Travman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2016
    [​IMG]

10. Onebigbill

Onebigbill Basic Member Basic Member

May 21, 2019
    Hartshead Barlow
    IMG_2249.JPG

[​IMG]

chuck4570, matfox, RDaneel and 9 others like this.
  11. Old Engineer

Nov 30, 2014
    I am glad that you have your first Russell but un-happy for you that it is in very bad shape my friend . Hopefully you will be able to find pieces to bring it back to life . I would still like to see the As Is pictures .

Harry

12. Old Engineer

Nov 30, 2014
    I do not intend to bore you with my latest Russell Barlow but I have been comparing it with my first one . One thing I noticed with my latest was the Chamfer on both edges of the Blade Splines and it is also there on the first one .
    [​IMG]
    My first one was carried so much that you could not see if it was originally Saw Cut Bone . Latest one shows that it was .
    [​IMG]
    Compared Pin Locations and Bolsters ( Same )
    [​IMG]
    I guess some Fakes had the wrong number of Fletches on the Arrow . Latest is 3 and you can barely see that the first one was also .
    [​IMG]

Harry

13. Corso

Corso

Aug 16, 2007
    I could look at these old Barlows all day

waynorth and Old Engineer like this.
  14. Old Engineer

Nov 30, 2014
    Thank you Sir !!!!

Harry

waynorth likes this.
  15. K33ncutter

K33ncutter Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 24, 2020
    The mail came today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fodderwing, Ironbut, Dschal and 12 others like this.
  16. Augie

Augie Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2014

Harry, my understanding from what I have read is Russell would use the bolster stamping die until it was worn out so the depth and sharpness of the bolster stamp will vary.
    I just picked this one up that has had little use, you can still see original grind marks in blade and bolster. Mine was stamped with a worn die as it is not sharp and some of arrow fletch is weak or missing.
    I love the Russell Barlows but finding any in high condition is hard, they came from a part of the country that believed in using a tool until you wear it out.

IMG_1445.jpg IMG_1450.jpg IMG_1454.jpg IMG_1456.jpg

17. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
  18. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Queen Aluminum Frame Barlow

[​IMG]

19. Old Engineer

Nov 30, 2014
    Thank you for the information John . After looking at the pictures of your very nice new old Russell it is very easy to believe what you say . The Saw Cut bone is basically not touched but the Arrow Fletching looks very worn .
    It seems like I remember reading a few years back that some people were making Fake Russels and had the Fletching count wrong . I know that there were a number of well known Repros that do not have the right number . I am sure those companies were not trying to fool people though . In fact , I just won some bidding this morning on one of the Green River ones made in Solingen . I now have only One Model left to find to finish my Quest for the Standard Sized Russels from Russel and Repros. That would be the 1933 to 1941 Russells .
    Take care my friend and be safe out there .

Harry

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  20. Old Engineer

Nov 30, 2014
    Just received this one and have CE & CF'd it and it seems to be a very well made knife . I believe it was made by Boker .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Harry