What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Harry, it looks even better than the sellers photos you posted the other day:thumbsup:
Thank you very much Jim . I think it does look better than it did in the sellers picture , but I have to in my hands . To me , it appears that the guy who bought this new , put it in a drawer and left it there . He also sold one 5 minutes earlier that also looked very nice .

Harry

Good to see this one here on BF, glad you got it before I went over budget:thumbsup:
Very crisp bone and full blade:thumbsup:

Harry, my understanding from what I have read is Russell would use the bolster stamping die until it was worn out so the depth and sharpness of the bolster stamp will vary.
I just picked this one up that has had little use, you can still see original grind marks in blade and bolster. Mine was stamped with a worn die as it is not sharp and some of arrow fletch is weak or missing.
I love the Russell Barlows but finding any in high condition is hard, they came from a part of the country that believed in using a tool until you wear it out.

View attachment 1310330 View attachment 1310331 View attachment 1310332 View attachment 1310333

This is the first pocket knife I've used to cut fruit. It's pretty fun watching the patina develop.

ICoiUWA.jpg

IdR4ZB0.jpg

From the great Furness family of knifemakers! Crude, but they have the right stuff!! These two knives still walk and talk better than many new knives!!! Made with not much extra, to do a job right, when everyone needed a knife! Now, they are venerable old tools!!!Furness duo 1.jpg Furness duo 2.jpg Furness duo 3.jpg

Love the red bone:eek::thumbsup:

From the great Furness family of knifemakers! Crude, but they have the right stuff!! These two knives still walk and talk better than many new knives!!! Made with not much extra, to do a job right, when everyone needed a knife! Now, they are venerable old tools!!!View attachment 1314500 View attachment 1314501 View attachment 1314502

Nice one:thumbsup: awesome etch:thumbsup::eek:

Picked up a minty Hibbard Spencer&Bartlett, was able to match it up to an Ulster, always like being able to figure out who made the knife for the hardware store.

View attachment 1314772View attachment 1314773

Back