1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What makes you laugh about the knife community?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Krelldoggy, Jun 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ragnar Lothbrok

Ragnar Lothbrok

Jun 6, 2016
    I respect Craytab. He is cool

2. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    A thread a little while ago mentioned something about the "apex". It was a complaint thread. I'm still trying to figure out what the apex of a knife is... point?

So from this thread's point of view, using knife jargon that few know what it means is humorous.

3. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod

Apr 6, 2000
    The edge. When you sharpen a blade, you want the sharpened sides to meet in a smooth precise line: the apex.

4. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    That was my other possible definition. The edge. Why not just call it the cutting or sharpened edge?

5. Ragnar Lothbrok

Ragnar Lothbrok

Jun 6, 2016
    Some people deploy their knife, some people open it. Some people sharpen the edge, some people sharpen the apex.

6. RedLynx

RedLynx Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 5, 2011
    A photo of me can be found in your average dictionary when you look up the word "apex." Because I am the bestest.

7. Mecha

Mecha Madscienceforge.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013

Real classy, Kelama. Good manners.....riiiiight. :thumbdn:

8. jill jackson

jill jackson

Sep 5, 2006
    I thought it was against the rules to insult another member in this forum? Gleefully pointing out someone is "ugly" is pretty insulting, IMO.

9. ourgon

ourgon

Feb 27, 2013
    You can do that but only in W&C.

10. jill jackson

jill jackson

Sep 5, 2006
    Yeah, I realize that.

11. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    You will be surprised If there is a rule that next to the avatar is standing information of age of that members . Probably 80 % is teenager, adolescent ..............:)

12. BladeScout

BladeScout Basic Member Basic Member

May 16, 2010
    WTH!
    In GeeDee, really!
    A serious error in judgement .......or meltdown.
    You should know better.

13. brancron

brancron

Dec 14, 2011
    Because the edge can include the entirety of the bevel (and micro-bevel). The apex is a specific part of the edge, where the bevels meet.

14. BenchCo Spydermade

BenchCo Spydermade

Feb 10, 2014
    The edge of the edge!

15. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    So what makes you laugh about the knife community?

16. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    More specifically, the bevels are what are sharpened and their junction, the apex, is what dictates the effective "sharpness" by its width and uniformity. The angle of the bevels relative to the blade's centerline is your edge angle, but the width of the apex is your sharpness. It's all just an effective way of further breaking down the terminology of what makes up an "edge" so that individual variables can be discussed independent of other aspects.

17. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    I haven't read the entire thread, but here's my addition:

People who have disdain for a certain knife brand (whichever brand it happens to be), yet whenever thread concerning a knife from that brand comes up, they are compelled to post and get into arguments about how much it and the brand itself is overpriced and sucks.

Jim

18. scubisino

scubisino

Dec 4, 2015
    what make me laugh?
    Spyderco knives.... I donĀ“t know why, I think is the ugliest knife ever made... sorry guys..
    another thing that make me laugh? full serrated knives...
    Best regards..

19. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod

Apr 6, 2000
    No, it's not funny. And the irony of the last line is overwhelming. Thread closed.

20. Guyon

Guyon Biscuit Whisperer Staff Member Super Mod

Mar 15, 2000

Hmm... Just a quick note to point out that it's June and I'm still here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.