What makes you laugh about the knife community?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get annoyed when you come in contact with someone who thinks of you spend less than $100 on a knife that you don't know better.

The obsession with Ti framelocks. I've owned several, still own two, but they just don't appeal to me, as much as I like flippers.

The whole overbuilt/hard use trend. I don't need a folding knife to cut down a sequoia. I'm more like going to use my knife to cut some cheese.

Knife--singular. Knives-plural. Some of y'all need to go back to 3rd grade.

People who spend lots of time and money customizing production knives, then sell them in S&S.

Skulls, crosses, griffins etc. on pocket clips. Looks lame and uncomfortable.

Obese "operators" with overbuilt "tactical" knives.

Sorry guys, I'm bad man.

The fact that the supposedly heavy buck 110 widely ( not completely ) went out of favor when the lightweight spyderco hit the scene, and now pocket bricks are a common trend with custom makers.

I also laugh when I see any pointless swoops or curves to a knife.
A knife is a knife, and it doesn't a need weird shape to look good. Not one single thing on a knife should be pointless.

The past one is when I see an assisted opening knife with a flipper and a right hand only stud, that means that only right handed people have a choice of how they want to open their knife.

Skulls, crosses, griffins etc. on pocket clips. Looks lame and uncomfortable.

Obese "operators" with overbuilt "tactical" knives.

Both of those are very good points IMHO.

We need more of your caricature/drawings of the BFC members... :thumbup:;):D

I struggle to understand the ones who take beautiful pictures of their multitude of knives, over and over again - same knives with different backgrounds, that show none of them have been used enough to require a sharpening, although I do understand, from personal experience, that, when you have that many knives, it's hard to use them all.
That's closely followed by the ones who buy a new knife, start a thread with lots of pics and a review proclaiming it to be the best knife ever, can't see it leaving their pocket for the foreseeable future - only to see it up for sale in a week or two. And I know that impulse buys on a limited budget are the main reason.
The frenzy that accompanies a new release of some of the GEC traditionals is almost like schools girls gushing over the latest teenage hunk. It's embarrassing - or should be. :barf:
Finally, I really get a kick out of the ones who post pictures or videos of themselves carrying a large fixed blade or two smaller ones, tip up for "rapid deployment, edge out". :eek: :yawn: If they ever had to actually use a knife in self defense, those pics would not support a desirable outcome at trial - unless they intended to plead insanity. :rolleyes:

I don't mean to offend anyone in the community, but we're all, myself included, a bit unbalanced, when it comes to knives. There - I said it. :) :p

It's been said before, but I simultaneously laugh and curse when someone asks for a knife recommendation in a certain price range, and without fail some mook tells them to up their budget.

"I have $20 for a light-use fixed blade, should I get a Mora or Cold Steel Lite model?" "Up your budget to $35 and get a Buck 115."
"I'm looking for a sturdy folder, and I have $60." "Come up with another $15 and buy a American Lawman in XHP."
Gimme a break people, he's stated his budget for a reason. I swear, one day a member will post "I won the Powerball! I have $20 million to spend on a custom!" and some jerk will post "If you're willing to go to $30 million, I know some scientists in need of a grant to develop a lightsaber."🙄

People who think buying knives from some brands (Strider, Medford, SOG, Microtech...) will instantly turn them into bad ass, seasoned knife fighters.
The Karambit Kraze.

The fetish for extremely thick and heavy folding knives. I'm talking about 0.25"+ blades. Can I get suspenders with that?

That designers that make "hard use" knives but have thin skin.

Zing. ;):D:thumbup:

When I see guys with high end custom Ti-framelock collections then see a vid of them driving junker cars (only vehicle too!). Talk about priorities LOL. (mostly the instagram types LOL). ;)

It's fun to pretend to be wealthy. :foot::rolleyes:

Here's a quick pic of my $5,000 Stan Wilson NFF and oops; my jalopy in the background LOL. :eek::D

People who think buying knives from some brands (Strider, Medford, SOG, Microtech...) will instantly turn them into bad ass, seasoned knife fighters.
The Karambit Kraze.
The karambit craze started because of csgo. Ahaha funny enough I did betting on that game and made enough money from a VIRTUAL KNIFE to get a buck 119 aha

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

When people with $500+ pocket knives use chipped, dull, garbage kitchen knives, or better yet, don't use them at all and resort to a folder or fixed blade that's incredibly poorly designed for such tasks. I know we can't all be really into cooking, but if you're a self-described "knife nut" it seems like you'd want to at least take a passing interest in learning how to use and maintain a decent kitchen knife.

Bingo.

The number of guys who'll obsess over which sharpened prybar to bring for TEOTWAWKI... but forget all about food prep, is insane. :eek::D

A few that come to mind in no particular order:
1. The power of marketing over fundamentals. Busse.
2. Interest in chopping knives. I was a part of this large group for awhile before discovering the axe.
3. Obsession with the latest steel. I admit I've been guilty of this at times. I've heard "I won't buy a knife with S30V."
4. The market for high-end Chinese-made knives from non-US based companies. I'm sure these are high quality knives but who is the company standing behind the product? How easy would it be to make a warranty claim? I've never owned a Chris Reeve but it appears that they are now bargains when compared to competing Chinese knives.
5. How a low-end Chinese-made folder comes with a perfectly centered blade just as often as a much more expensive folder. Doesn't seem like poor centering should be acceptable. I'm thinking of Benchmade.
6. How MAP pricing has caused rapid price jumps in Benchmade and Spyderco.
7. How Spyderco makes so many expensive folders with niche designs that cannot possibly sell well (and are often rapidly discontinued). Are they able to profit from lower production that in the past or do they just support losses with better sellers like the Para2?
8. The amount of custom folders I see almost everyday added to the "new" section at my favorite knife retailers like knifecenter. I thought I was knife obsessed. I can't believe there's a market to support all those pricey customs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back