What makes you laugh about the knife community?

Status
Not open for further replies.
-People who are Asking for reccomendations on a good knife for self defense, but don't want to take the time to actually get some training on how to use a knife in a dangerous situation. Knife fighting is not as easy as it is portrayed on tv, you have to get close ( swords don't count).

-The guys, even on this thread, that get pissy about someone's OPINION of said knife, or brand, or maker. They read between the words and come up with something that's not even there. If the guy doesn't like your Emerson, cool it's not his knife. If you don't like his sodbuster. Cool it's not your knife. Everyone will have a different taste. Get over it.

- The obese zombie/ apocalypse preppers that can't walk a mile in 20 minutes. If it hits the fan, your body's physical condition is just as if not more important than that $500 dollar knife that you don't know how to use.

- I just hate people so that makes this thread easy for me. :cool:

Why would one be less great the second time you use it?

Used a Robust to field dress a medium size doe. First cut went great..then it ran out of gas rather quickly. I was not impressed. I understand it is a sub $20 blade- I guess I expected too much.

Net to me.
Add 30% for PP fees.
Shipping insurance is fine.....if you pay for it.
Joe

"The sheathless fixed blade I shipped to someone in an envelope never arrived. No no way could it have fallen out the post people must have stolen it. Insurance? Why would I buy that? It's expensive the postage people should have paid attention to it."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, a wider blade is better cuz it's stronger in cross section? Always? Why don't you use your thumb instead of your pinky to dig out a really well stuck piece of dried up snot in your nose. The thumb is stronger but it won't fit in there to get that booger that's high and tight. ;)

Pretty sure he meant that a broader blade allows for a thicker spine without increasing the grind angle. Since rigidity increases cubically with thickness, a small increase in blade width can help make a blade with a thin grind angle much more rigid. That's part of the reason why high hollow grinds are common on a lot of small traditional folders--it allows for a thinner cross section while maintaining a given spine thickness, though at the expense of causing wedging in deep cuts.

Used a Robust to field dress a medium size doe. First cut went great..then it ran out of gas rather quickly. I was not impressed. I understand it is a sub $20 blade- I guess I expected too much.
Ran out of gas? So how was it's first use great if that was the case?

The steel is fine. Particulary the laminated blades.

Ran out of gas? So how was it's first use great if that was the case?

The steel is fine. Particulary the laminated blades.
I must have really struck a nerve. Let me rephrase my statement.

The Mora I used dulled rather quickly 'after the fist cut or two'. Because I would rather cut with my knife than sharpen it every couple of minutes I was not impressed with it's performance so I bought a better knife. I'm sure Mora makes decent knives. In this particular case it wasn't for me.

I'm sorry if you disagree. That is my opinion of said knife.

1. The jump on the whatever is hot steel bandwagon folks who probably have zero experience with the "hot" item.
2 The folks that recommend brand x high-end heavy-duty fixed blades to someone who asks for opinions on a small light weight pocket knife. That is an extreme example but you get the point.
3. People who trash talk certain brands without ever owning them. See #1.
4. Maker/manufacturer's cults/cliques who will accept arrogant attitudes and shitty business models because they need to feel justified in purchasing said products.
5. Same people (see#4) who recommend "their" brand no matter what brand is being discussed or asked about (see #1).
6. Tabletop reviewers who refer to their reviews as "field evaluations".
7. People who want to replace the handle on sub $20 knives.
8. Knife fighting "experts" who push techniques that will never work in the real world.
9. "This knife is made for/used by Seals".We all know operators want knives that weigh more than their guns. Right?
10. The buy American only people with homes that are filled with Chinese made products.

This seems more like a pet peeve list but at times can be humorous.

Reviews of a knife that involve opening the package, handling and fondling in front of the camera for the first time while giving opinions just based on that.

People selling used/carried knives on the exchange, that can be acquired from most sellers, NIB, at equal or lower price, shipping included

7. People who want to replace the handle on sub $20 knives.

This can be taken two ways. To me, when someone expects aftermarket handles to be produced for sub $20 knives are annoying.
However, people who buy sub $20 knives to practice making handles makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That how many pounds a lock can hold without failing is not only a selling point but results in an echoing cacophony of a knife's overall superiority.

Agree, but the other side of that is.....a totally useless lock resulting in an echoing cacophony of a knife users inferiority. "Not supposed to cut with the spine, you dumb ass!" Cracks me up.

"hey guys, I'm looking for a folder with a budget of 50$. I know I could expand my budget if I saved but I'm kind of in a tight spot and need a cheap knife quickly. P.S. nothing made by Spyderco please"

Everybody else- "I know it's out of your budget, but get the PM2"

....10. The buy American only people with homes that are filled with Chinese made products.

I prefer American made, but it is nearly impossible to not buy Chinese stuff. But Swiss, Japanese, Taiwanese, Korean, German, Italian, French, Brazilian or Salvadorian, and Norwegian knives are okay, right? Oh, and not buy Indian or Pakistani... unless it is a kukri, right? It is actually kind of humorous how we discriminate between products made in different countries.

There probably wouldn't be a COMMUNITY without the forums. .... just folks that own and use knives.

I prefer American made, but it is nearly impossible to not buy Chinese stuff. But Swiss, Japanese, Taiwanese, Korean, German, Italian, French, Brazilian or Salvadorian, and Norwegian knives are okay, right? Oh, and not buy Indian or Pakistani... unless it is a kukri, right? It is actually kind of humorous how we discriminate between products made in different countries.

I know that there are legitimate concerns about work conditions in China and I'm not blind about that but I'm betting that conditions aren't that much better in some of the more "accepted" countries. Like you I prefer USA made but if I like a given design done elsewhere I'll go for it.
I'm old enough to remember when Japanese made product was looked down on. The Seki stuff squashed that in the mid to late '80's.

the people with hard use knives that wont loan them out because minor abuse might happen. people with a cheap knife that get butthurt over fit and finish.

I know that there are legitimate concerns about work conditions in China and I'm not blind about that but I'm betting that conditions aren't that much better in some of the more "accepted" countries. Like you I prefer USA made but if I like a given design done elsewhere I'll go for it.
I'm old enough to remember when Japanese made product was looked down on. The Seki stuff squashed that in the mid to late '80's.

My father refused to buy any Japanese product after WWII. He was not happy when I purchased a Toyota. I agree with what you said. It comes down to cost and perceived value for 90% of Americans. Damn the torpedoes. Full speed ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back