What Next, Handyman Or Bushboot?

blue333

Gold Member
Hello all,

Im at a crossroads that I'm sure many many of you found yourselves while trying to decide on your next Fiddleback. Naturally I came here first as I'm hoping I can get some feedback (pics would be sweet!) on the above said x2 knives.
Both are edc options for me and will be carried in a pocket sheath, or horizontal carry.
Of the two, I like them both but the scale combos are making it hard for me, as I like both. One has Blue Glacial scales (Handyman) and the other Green burlap/Natural bolster (Bushboot).
I will add that I would most likely lean towards whichever has the edge on hand/feel aesthetics.
Bith have different handle styles, so curious as to what those of you who own one or both have to say about feel/comfort?

I was hoping to find a youtube video of the Handyman but no such luck? I do own a Hiking buddy and I kniw both look similar, with the HM being more contoured.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If it was me, I’d go for the Bushboot if only for its completely different looks/style from the other two.

Oyster, this has been my thoughts. Bushbaby for the different look but Glacial Blue is so damn sexy! I have a Hiking buddy so that is what is swaying me away from the HM, they may be to similar?
I wish I could find the Bushboot in a Tangerine burlap, Turquoise or Glacial. I would of already made my purchase!
Will have to google pics of both knives and fill my head with more confusion, lol.

They’re all in my preferred size-range so I’ll probably end up with one of each to add to all the other knives in the same range... ;)
Go with the one that has the scales that you like most and wait for the other to appear in a configuration you like.
ETA: it all really comes down to personal preferences. The bolstered scales you describe on the bushboot sound like a winner for many FFs. On the bushboot, with its unique, kinda badass “sexy” look, however, I think I’d prefer something slightly sleeker, if that makes sense. Again, personal preferences...

Last edited:
All great points Oyster, thank you for chiming in. Eventually down the line I hope to own both. I can wait for a Bushboot to come along with a scale combo that I dig.
The Glacial scales just speak to me and with that said, I pulled the trigger on the Handyman with the GB scales!

1zxpp1k.jpg

Regardless of how much it may or may not look/feel like the Hiking Buddy, I will get lots of use out of it as an edc knife. Once I rack up enough miles and can give a comparison to the Hiking Buddy, I will come back and give an update on my thoughts of the two knives.

All great points Oyster, thank you for chiming in. Eventually down the line I hope to own both. I can wait for a Bushboot to come along with a scale combo that I dig.
The Glacial scales just speak to me and with that said, I pulled the trigger on the Handyman with the GB scales!

1zxpp1k.jpg

Regardless of how much it may or may not look/feel like the Hiking Buddy, I will get lots of use out of it as an edc knife. Once I rack up enough miles and can give a comparison to the Hiking Buddy, I will come back and give an update on my thoughts of the two knives.

Can we get an update on your thoughts?

Were you wondering about having both the handyman and hiking buddy and the differences and similarities?

Ive read quite a bit. I just noticed he said hed follow up and hasn't so I was just curious of his thoughts on them.

Here is my thoughts and opinions on these two knives. I have a couple of both and will probably even end up with more because I really like both models. The two that I use the most are both 1/8" TT A2. The HB is the knife that brought me to FF and was my first FF knife. I ended up with a handful of other sub 3.5" fiddlebacks before getting a Handyman. Of the EDC fiddlebacks that I have tried the HB is the smallest handle that really fits my hand. The thin TT on my HB helps the butt of the knife have a more discreet presence when carrying in my front pocket due to it being thinner and less shiny than my other HB. The only reason I bring this up is that not all handle shapes feel or carry the same in the same model because they are hand done and the different steel thickness options really changes the weight and balance. I share the same sheath (Diomedes traditional 3-3.5") for both. I shove it in a front jeans pocket and that works for me when in town. The Handyman sits about 1/2" higher in the sheath which allows more skin contact when deploying and the HB sits lower which makes it more concealed. The slight beak on the end of the HB helps to deploy it even though it sits a 1/2" lower. Both feel just as easy to deploy to me. While on the handle differences, I love the Handyman handle! There is no grip that does not feel great with the Handyman to me. It is my favorite sub 3.5" handle without any doubt.
The blades are very similar on the cutting edge although the HB feels a hare straighter because the Handyman has a taller profile but is more of a drop point to end up with the same cutting edge shape. The Handyman is more of a drop tip and the rest of the cutting edge is also lower on the Handyman. Side by side in the hand the HB feels more like a paring knife, lighter, slimmer and the Handyman feels like it could do a few hours of harder work, more belly, fills the hand more. The traits that make one better at some tasks are the same traits that make it not as good as the other knife in different tasks. Having said all this often my needs fall into the HBs strength area but I pick the Handyman because of how much I like the handyman handle. The HB is lighter (mine is high grind thin taper) and feels more nimble and the Handyman feels a little bigger and more solid thought the blades are the same length.
If I had to dig out large splinters from an open wound or cut the tops out of 50 green peppers or do some intricate carving I would pick the HB every time. If I had to go live in the woods with one of these being my only knife I would pick the Handyman.

157385DD-EDF9-46EA-9325-84CB80CE745A.JPG 3914E360-9E11-461C-9695-9696BF1A769A.JPG

The Handyman is the most well rounded smaller/mid size knife in the fb lineup. I’m kicking myself daily for parting with mine. Need a new one soon.

Handyman is like a smaller KE Bushie

I've been loving the recent clipped point Handymen a lot. Have y'all noticed those? We didn't make a pattern. They had to be cut down from the back because of a surface flaw in the bar of steel. I need to trace one.

A long overdue post is needed here, my apologies guys & gals. I have been away from Blade Forums for a few months & recently just came back.
To answer my original question, I went with the Handyman as I preferred the scales it came with (glacial blue jade). Now comparing the Handyman to the Hiking Buddy, here are my personal thoughts (of course will differ from everyone else). They are both edc-able sizes, with the handyman being a tad longer & taller on the handle. With that said and having both models, I prefer the Hiking Buddy. My reason being, it's a knife that I use more as an edc because its a bit more sleeker and easy to carry in an IPS (inside pocket sheath). To me, I feel like with the Hiking Buddy I am maxing out my dollars in that it gets used/carried more. This versus a knife that I will hardly edc. Not to say the Handyman is not carryable. The HM is a knife that I would pick over the HB for longer outdoor use, as the handle has a bigger palm swell.
I Hope I didn't lose anybody? lol.
I like the handyman handle better, but prefer the sleeker hiking buddy for edc.
With all this said, I literally moments ago bought another hiking buddy. I got it bad lol!

Back