What SAK are ya totin' today?

Tmy4Wlf.jpg

I'm carrying this old girl today. It has the tool set of a Huntsman, no scale tools. I don't know much about these early ones.

I have a mid-70s model that also has the same tool set as the current Huntsman but no toothpick, or tweezers, also no bail and the secondary is a pen blade. From my research it is a Woodsman, a name that Victorinox has recycled a few times. Any idea as to the age or model of yours?

I have a mid-70s model that also has the same tool set as the current Huntsman but no toothpick, or tweezers, also no bail and the secondary is a pen blade. From my research it is a Woodsman, a name that Victorinox has recycled a few times. Any idea as to the age or model of yours?
It's late 60's In 1968 the Bail got officially replaced with keyring. That's about the best I can age it.
It has a five turn corkscrew.
This mystery is what I like most about Saks. Always something to learn.
Thanks for the tip on the name mate.
Dan

It's late 60's In 1968 the Bail got officially replaced with keyring. That's about the best I can age it.
It has a five turn corkscrew.
This mystery is what I like most about Saks. Always something to learn.
Thanks for the tip on the name mate.
Dan

Mine has the grooved corkscrew, but it is a four turn version. All these variations are interesting! Here's something from the SAKWiki:

Name Disambiguation:
The name Woodsman has been used for several models at different times, and maybe differently in different markets. The 93mm Alox Woodsman is one example of a different knife with the same name, there was also a very early variation of the Huntsman (no toothick and tweezers) that was also known as the Woodsman. (emphasis added)

The best scrapers I've found on SAKs is the file blade like on the Champ and even the little Executive. I've tried to convince myself to buy a pack of those little Firefly fire steels but I'd rather have the toothpick (I use those multiple times a day. When I hike, I always have an additional knife (than my little EDC SAK) and all have proper fire steels with them either in the sheath or pack they reside in. Still... ;) In my wallet, I carry a couple of untreated cotton balls flattened out in a little tiny zip lock bag and a couple single use generic Neosporin anti-biotic packs along with a couple Band-Aids (habit learned when my kids were little). Also always have a Chapstick in my pocket along with the Executive. An argument I could win with myself is to simply slide a long Firefly into the wallet. I never go anywhere without it. Oh, I also have a little credit card Fresnel lens in there but not for firestarting, for reading tiny print on the ingredient lists at the market.

Of course, in my nearly 70 years, I can't recall a single time where I needed to start an emergency fire but once a boy scout...

Last edited:
The best scrapers I've found on SAKs is the file blade like on the Champ and even the little Executive. I've tried to convince myself to buy a pack of those little Firefly fire steels but I'd rather have the toothpick (I use those multiple times a day. When I hike, I always have an additional knife (than my little EDC SAK) and all have proper fire steels with them either in the sheath or pack they reside in. Still... ;) In my wallet, I carry a couple of untreated cotton balls flattened out in a little tiny zip lock bag and a couple single use generic Neosporin anti-biotic packs along with a couple Band-Aids (habit learned when my kids were little). Also always have a Chapstick in my pocket along with the Executive. An argument I could win with myself is to simply slide a long Firefly into the wallet. I never go anywhere without it. Oh, I also have a little credit card Fresnel lens in there but not for firestarting, for reading tiny print on the ingredient lists at the market.

Of course, in my nearly 70 years, I can't recall a single time where I needed to start an emergency fire but once a boy scout...
I didn't like the idea of not having a toothpick either, but hey I have a good knife...so I grab a small stick and fashion it into a toothpick. A great excuse to do something with your knife.

It's a scientist replica, I recently made it from SAK parts (including the scale, it was a pain taking it off) . Recently, I've been buikding some SAKs since I'm at home all the time now.
Where are those scales from? I've never seen victorinox wooden scales with T+T slots.

Back