What scales would YOU use?

Mods - Pls feel free to move this thread if another forum is more appropriate.

My son and I are making our first blades under the tutelage of a local bladesmith. The class will take us from a block of steel to the final piece. We're at the point where we'll have to start thinking about scales.

Unfortunately I know what's "right" when I see it, but am not very good at knowing what needs to go together to become "right" (lack of artistic vision, as it were).

Given that these pieces are pretty darn close to the final outline/shape, I'll ask what you think would look good? I'm leaning towards traditional wood (with visible grain patterns) for mine (the drop point); my son is leaning towards "I haven't even thought about it".

Have at it (pictures are appreciated for my vision-less brain!)

P7MNUM

Last edited:
I suggest buying some stabilized scales of some sort of burl.
There are a million choices and most of them will look really nice if you do your part.
I'm always pleasantly surprised how they turn out.

You know me; I like grippy scales so I would go with some G-10 or similar and with a "Frag Patern".
I find the Frag Pattern more grippy than a diamond pattern . A frag is what Spyderco uses but they use a Hot Rodded and Turbo Charged version. (sloping edges, dimples in the middle of each square and oh so much more).

I guess it comes down to are you guys going to use them or look at them. I don't care for slick handled knives for instance I have been EDCing a Buck 102 of late. If I were to use it much I would be cutting a pattern in that handle. As it is it is a nice looker I fool around with.

Cocobolo over thin copper liners with copper pins for the one on the left.

Terracotta burlap with black G10 bolsters over thin black micarta liners with black micarta pins for the one on the right.

Like the profiles, Good job fellas.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Check out fiddleback forge website to draw some inspiration. They have some nice handle designs. :thumbsup:

Another vote for desert ironwood. It can be a little tricky to work with because it likes to chip if the tools are not extremely sharp. If you glue/epoxy the scales to the tang, thoroughly clean them with acetone, gun scrubber, etc immediately before applying adhesive.

2edab6e9-6893-44e8-a916-e40970be2365_orig.jpeg
Thanks folks. Keep 'em comin'!
He did show me some desert ironwood blanks at the shop; the grain was fantastic.
The linen looked pretty good too.

Decisions, decisions...

Last edited:
Back