Off Topic what should be my new EDC?

1595978435131.jpg

what should be my next EDC?

there have been a lot of in betweens but these 3 i've carried the most.

that particular blackout is my 5th one. i carried that model for 10yrs plus. i broke one being stupid, lost two and one was taken by police

i carried the ZT for about a year until it opened in my pocket and cut me pretty bad

the 940 is my current carry but i'm bored of it
(don't judge the broken tip. it fell out of my hand and landed tip down onto concrete)

i have a bradford guardian 3 that i'm considering but i dunno how work will react if i walk in carrying a fixed blade on my belt.

Yeah, a Spyderco in your scale/steel choice would be my suggestion. I’d go with the Military, but I like large liner/frame locks. If that’s too big, you might like the Paramilitary 2 or 3. Personally, I don’t like the compression lock so would go Endura or Delica in ZDP189 if size were the issue.

GWcaK5q.jpg

szFC3hR.jpg

Benchmade Bugout. I carried a Kershaw Blackout for several years--and like you had to replace some over the years due to losing it. I suspect that knife is the reason why I love 3.25" blades so much. After I decided to upgrade from the Blackout I tried several blades, to include EDCing a Benchmade 940 for a time. Well I bought the Bugout and sold the 940 after it became apparent that the Bugout is a perfect knife for me. Been carrying it every day for a week or two shy of three years now. Actually today at work I noticed a guy with a Benchmade clip so I asked him what knife it was. Turns out it was the carbon fiber 940. I showed him my Bugout and he was mesmerized and is now thinking about switching over to that because he likes the Bugout's blade.

Welcome to the forums~

As hhmoore hhmoore stated, a price range would help. I'll throw out a few suggestions in different ranges.

Still a great bargain and workhorse. Ontario Rat 1 or 2 in D2 steel. $40 + s/h.

Can't go wrong with a Spyderco. I'm not the biggest fan of the compression lock either.
Delica, Endela, Endura, Manix 2 or Manix 2 XL depending on the size blade you want.

Cold Steel is another good value for the money option. A CS Ultimate Hunter or Recon 1 if you want a bigger blade. You get Demkos rock solid tri-ad lock too.

Last edited:
+1 for the Delica as a general suggestion
if you've got a budget of up to $500 we can really get into it
in the normal friggin range :p, I'd also suggest a PM2 or 3, as well as a GEC if you like slip-joints

I've also had ZTs and Kershaws with flippers/ assisted-opening open in my back pocket.
Luckily mine went the other way and cut through my pocket...
When I carry my ZT these days, I make sure the spine of the blade is against a pocket seem to help keep it shut ;)
In fact, I'm conscious that any folder I'm carrying is either in a snug-fitting pouch or against a pocket seem, just in case...:thumbsup:

Man I loved my Blackout. Was my sole EDC for 6 or 7 years at one point. Shame they’ve discontinued it (the Whirlwind just isn’t the same).

I agree though, throw in a Spyderco. My vote is a Manix if you can deal with how wide it rides in the pocket.

Your idea of a Guardian 3 is a good option, if you can get away with it at work. But you can always get a pocket sheath for it, so it’s a bit more discreet.

Those just happen to be my two primary EDCs, so I’m a bit biased.

Other good options....
Everyone should EDC a Leek at least once. Super thin and slicy, and light enough to wear in sweats or basketball shorts. Not a super, hard use blade, but a great all-a-rounder if most of your use is fairly light.

Another vote for the Ontario Rat. Just a great budget beater you can rely on.

Steel Will Modus. Again, another budget friendly knife that punches well above its weight. It’s become one of my workhorses, as I’m not worried about abusing a $50 knife... and it just keeps begging for more.

Can’t help you too much with higher priced folder, as they’re beyond my normal budget.

what should be my next EDC?
the 940 is my current carry but i'm bored of it.
i have a bradford guardian 3 that i'm considering but i dunno how work will react if i walk in carrying a fixed blade on my belt.
I have a 940 in S90V ...and I got bored with it immediately.
The Bradford G3 is a great knife. I've carried one in the factory crossdraw sheath for several yrs...and had them in three or four knife-steels.
I might suggest the Spyderco Chaparral...a wonderful slicer...

Don't get a Spyderco. Absolute garbage.:eek:

Kigjw6g.jpg
I agree, please let me help you to get rid of these garbage for free...:D

OP, anyone of these is classic worth trying. Btw, how did ZT manage to open in your pocket to cut you? Just curious.

Cold Steel 4max Scout! Go big or go home! Lol!

Paramilitary 2 would be nice as well.

I'd say the blackout, since you've carried one for 10 years straight (without getting bored with/of it?) and it has apparently meet all of your needs during that time.
It's a known commodity for you.
I'm guessing none of these are exactly a low economic investment. (Depending on income, of course.)
Why spend a "lot of money" (again, depends upon your income level) on something else, then decide it isn't for you, for whatever reason(s)?

Sure, you could probably sell it, but at what loss? Also, selling takes time and at least a little effort -- even if just a eBay listing.
Your time is worth something, right?

Please feel free to continue the trend, and ignore my advice. :D

for carry i'd like to be under $200. i've got a sebenza but i'm not carrying that.
i know the spyders are good knives and i don't own one but i've handled a few and i just don't like them. same with glocks. great guns, just not for me.

FWIW, I'm not a Glock fan either.

Under $200?

What about an automatic. Kershaw and Pro-Tech have nice autos in that range. If you can find one, the Pro-Tech Malibu is a nice manual flipper, CPM-20cv. I'm looking for a blue one myself.

Last edited:
Back