What size drivers do I need?

Hi all, I’m a knife newbie but I’m learning. Haven’t done any tinkering yet, and I’d like to start. I saw a Kershaw driver set with T6, T8, and T10 bits on Amazon. Will I be able to change scales and belt clips with these? I have knives from Spyderco, Benchmade, Kershaw, Cold Steel and SOG, nothing unusual or exotic.

I’m not looking for a complete maintenance kit, just something cheap to do the basics. Thanks!

It sounds like all the bits you will need. However, I would advise you to buy quality tools - otherwise you will change them often(unless you use your tools once in 10 years). Speaking from personal experience. If you want Ill post pics of cheap tools being used few times.....

Much appreciated. I’ve spent so much on knives lately there’s not much left. If it turns out I really get into customizing, I can buy a better set, but first I want to reverse the belt clips on my 2 Blurs. :D

Some that can see over the steering wheel so they don't have a wreck.:)--Sorry, I couldn't let that one slide.--KV

If the Kershaw set you saw is their "pen" set with changeable tips, it should have the common sizes you'll need for most folders. But you should know that not all torx bits are created equal. Sometimes sizing is "hit or miss". That can have the undesirable effect of rounding out a screw head if the driver doesn't fit tightly enough to give a secure grip. Also, I have occasionally run into folders with a T7 or T9 screw, as another poster mentioned, but not often.

I've never handled or seen the Kershaw tools, so I don't know anything about the quality of their steel or the preciseness of their sizing. It may be that their pricing accurately reflects the quality of the tools. I can speak to both the steel quality and the precise sizing of Wiha torx drivers. You can get a set of 6 drivers from them that will include the T7 & T9 recommended in the other posts and the cost is just over $20. I went with Wiha a few years ago because I've rounded out a few torx heads in my time from bad tools. The Wihas were cheaper than blood pressure medicine and easier to deal with than a rounded out torx screw.

If the Kershaw set you saw is their "pen" set with changeable tips, it should have the common sizes you'll need for most folders...

Actually, I bought the Kershaw pen set for around $8. It worked fine for changing around a couple of belt clips and slightly loosening a couple of pivot screws that were taking a long time to break in. Good fit, no rounding on both Kershaw and Benchmade knives, or the bits, but I'm sure they're cheap steel nonetheless and won't last long.

That being said, I thought about buying a set of Wiha and changing the scales on my Benchmade Bugout, but I watched a bunch of Youtube videos and changed my mind.

Seems there are two types of videos... those where the guy shows his stock knife, then proudly unpacks a set of new uranium/plutonium scales and says "There are hundreds of videos showing how to change scales so I won't do it here", then the video stops and cuts to his finished knife. Then there are those where the guy takes his time and shows which screws he removes and what size bit he's using, but every time her gets to replacing the pivot screw he has a problem, shuts off the video, fixes it offscreen and when he comes back his knife is finished.

I figure, if these knowledgeable knife guys can't change the scales without running into a problem, a klutz like me probably won't do any better. I'd hate to wind up with $200+ in loose knife parts and scales, so I guess it'll have to stay the way it is for now. Maybe there's an easy way to change the scales without having washers and blades fall out but I haven't seen one. I'm talking specifically about the Bugout now... it might be simpler with other knives.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

:D Yeah... I understand. We all had to start somewhere, though, and many, or even most, of us ended up with some "spare" parts on our first attempt or two. If you watch some of Nick Shabazz's disassembly vids, he will usually go all the way through from taking it apart to putting it back together. Not all of his videos feature disassembly, but many do. Work slowly and focus on what you're doing. Use a cell phone and take pix at each step for reference when reassembling if you need to.

I started with simple liner & compression lock folders. They seemed to be the easiest to get apart and back together for a beginner. After a few times on them, I tried my Sebenzas, then moved on to back locks, AXIS & ball bearing locks. And I did have to send a bag of parts to the factory once or twice. But I learned, and YouTube videos helped.

Good luck... hope you enjoy the ride! It's a lot of fun and it'll be very satisfying when you get your first couple of jobs done and you find that everything works!

Wiha is a safe bet. Im pretty sure the boker driver recommended has wiha bits. You may have a tough time defeating locktite with the kershaw tool. If you can get the leverage required easily this will help avoid stripped screws. I would suggest t6 t8 t9 t10 and t15. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I started out with the Kershaw 3 driver set, then a Benchmade Blue Box, then a Lowes Husky set, then finally a Wiha set so you should probably just go ahead and get the Wiha up front and actually save some $$$.

The Kershaw set was OK for moving clips but that is about the extent of their usefulness. I tried to take a 0561 apart to clean it up and stripped 2 body screws so I keep it in my desk drawer at work in case a clip comes loose during the day. I got the BM Blue Box free with an order and I would rate it about the same as the Kershaw set. The Husky set had all of the required sizes but they always seem a little too small for the screws...not sure why.

I have not had any issues with the Wiha set so that is what I would recommend.

Back