Recommendation? What steel to choose for a Push Dagger ?

What steel to choose for a Push Dagger ?

• ELMAX

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • 440A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 440C

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • 12C27

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • SB1

• O1

• D2

• Total voters
Hi i work in private security industry and i want to buy a custom push dagger so i want your opinion in what steel is better for it.

My knifemaker's options are ELMAX, 440A, 440C, 12c27, SB1, O1, D2 and 5160.

What do you recommend ?

Hi i work in private security industry and i want to buy a custom push dagger so i want your opinion in what steel is better for it.

My knifemaker's options are ELMAX, 440A, 440C, 12c27, SB1, O1, D2 and 5160.

What do you recommend ?
Its gonna be (hopefully) carried more than used, so it wont matter much.
Maybe choose something relatively rust resistant, as itll be carried close to the body and if you live where the humidity is high.

Go with something rust resistant. A push dagger is unlikely to be used as an EDC, and for the very limited use edge retention is not going to be an issue. You just wants something that holds together made from a material that will resist rusting and binding in its sheath.

n2s

I would look at AEB-L. Stainless, takes a fine edge, easy to sharpen and one of the toughest steels out there.

Wirh those choices, Elmax, then 440c, 12c27, D2, 5160 probably in that order. I've never used SB1 (that I know of)

440A will be very stain resistant but won't hold an edge as long as 440C. Bur I'm not going to order a custom knife in 440a... while I do own and love a custom I have in 440C.

Polished D2 for me has been darned near stainless. Even in sweaty all year round pocket carry.

Holds an edge well, but a bit harder to sharpen, than other steels on that list. It is much harder to do major thinning or reprofiling. I've done full regrinds if the main bevels on 4 of my D2 blades, and it took "forever" compare to other steels I've done.

I like 5160, it is tougher and less rust aggressive than 01. I own knives in 5160 that have held up well in rough use, but it does patina. I find 01 to be much more stain prone, and rust aggressive than 5160, and even compared to 1095 steels....

Elmax is supposed to be higher abrasion/edge retention, and decent toughness. A great balanced steel, with higher than average edge retention if done well.

I own 12C27, and gave found it to be very easy to sharpen to sticky, scary edges, but the edge retention is not nearky as high as Elmax (whichbis nipping at the heels of other super steels with a focus on edge retention).

My D2 takes more effort, but holds the edge longer in use than my 12C27

Part of this depends on how well the custom maker knows his heat treat.

Also, the design, thickness, thickness behind the edge would all inform my decision.

Last edited:
Back