what stone after 1k?

Not looking for a mirror finish specific stone but would like to take my blade to the next level after sharpening on the king 1000k

After searching and reading for a few days I settled on the "rika" 5k. It was a choice between that and the King 6K

This stone is for sharpening varies folders, fixed blades and kitchen knives. Also on a budget, dont want to purchase a 150 dollar stone.

I also have a Rika 5000. I've bought and used and sold MANY stones, and the Rika 5000 is one I've kept and always will. It's a phenomenal stone and a very good decision among stones at that level. Just make sure you're plenty sharp when you move to it. It will give you a wonderful sub-mirror finish. (There's actually a Japanese name for that level of polish, which Japanese knife makers prefer). The Rika will give you a super finish for push cutting, which is especially useful with some kitchen applications. I don't use my Rika much though, as I've gravitated to a little more toothy edge. I find that slicing a tomato is actually easier after my Cerax 1000, than after my Rika 5000 due to the toothier edge. I like to use the very high grits for push-cutting blades (whittling, wharncliffe/sheepsfoot, and the 1000 for main cutting blades (clip/spear/pen) which makes my Calf Roper my favorite all-around knife: each blade with a different sharpening and for a different purpose. Also, soak the Rika just until the bubbles stop (about 10-15 minutes), as I find the stone gets a little soft if soaked much longer. And because this is a fairly soft stone, be extra careful with your technique, as it's easy to gouge. One additional note: don't waste your time using the 5000 on softer (German) kitchen knives, but it REALLY shines (pun?) with good Japanese knifes. Another great alternative to the 5000 is an Arkansas surgical black or translucent. ENJOY

Suehiro Rika G8. Is an 8k stone, but if you use it as a microbevel in conjunction with a medium or coarse stone you can make any edge quality you want.

Just get a strop, use 1um diamond spray
Not looking for a mirror finish specific stone but would like to take my blade to the next level after sharpening on the king 1000k

After searching and reading for a few days I settled on the "rika" 5k. It was a choice between that and the King 6K

This stone is for sharpening varies folders, fixed blades and kitchen knives. Also on a budget, dont want to purchase a 150 dollar stone.

I also prefer the 2k, I probably have more 2k stones than any other grit. Its my preferred finishing grit.

The Rika 5k is just fine to use after a 1K stone.
I enjoy using mine and it is one of the best mid to high grit water stones that you can buy.

Really the only shortcoming for some could be is that it is a soaking stone.
If it were splash and go it would be pretty perfect.

It leaves a nice hazy finish on the bevel and normally after 5k I strop with diamond spray 1 micron.

Guys, what 5000K finish do to a blade: does it make it polished or it makes it sharper? My knives after 1200 diamond plate feels pretty sharp (they cut yellow pages in any direction of the paper) but I can not forget sensation of one budget knife which I bought from Amazon which came so sharp I never saw before. I can not replicate that WOW feeling. I am thinking about buying a stone over 1200 grit and everybody tells different - from 2000 to 6000. If I want to buy only one stone what grit should it be and which brand if I want to stay on a budget?

Don’t make the mistake that finer necessarily equals sharper. Ultimately it will do but just be mindful that your technique could potentially be the limiting factor here.

If you do want to test this theory then I’d recommend a King 6000. The price point is almost budget but it’s a fantastic stone for the money and may be the cheapest way to examine if this is the direction you wish to go in.

Back