What stone do you recommend?

Hi everyone

I have a hopefully simple (doubt it :) lol) question....

I have now multiple knives in the following steels
S30V
S35V
S90V
S110V
Elmax
CTS-XHP
M390
And I am really struggling with them.

I have a Norton dual grit stone 220/1000. Also Fallkniven DC4 ceramic and a nice strop. My 1095, O1 and A2 blades do fine on it. On my other steels I can't make a dent.

So I am looking at getting new stone set. What brand would you recommend that can affect these steels?

Bester
Chosera
Nawanina
Sigma Power Select ii
Shapton Pro

I was thinking of a simple set...
100-200 grit
400 grit
1000 grit
3000-5000 grit

Four stones not more for now. I am not a that good yet... Far from it lol

So recommendation? Why?

Thank you

Gabriel

You have a good set up now. Thoes are some tougher steels to sharpen bud. I'd take a lil extra time with them.

Shapton Pro - 220 , 1500 , 5000
Nubatama - 150 , 1k speckled , 2k speckled , 4k (the one jason has)

Add a roo or nanocloth strop with 1u Diamond/CBN. And add an Atoma 140 to the pile for flattening and repairs.

You have a good set up now. Thoes are some tougher steels to sharpen bud. I'd take a lil extra time with them.

Yeah, it's insane difference compared to my regular carbon steels
Even CPM M4 and 3V are easier then these stainless lol

To start I would recommend a diamond plate such as the Atoma 140. It will make short work of setting bevels which is typically the time consuming part of sharpening high wear steels. It's also great for lapping waterstones.

For stones, the Shapton pro work a bit better on high wear steels but I think the glass stone might be the better choice here. I have not used them myself but they are formulated for more modern steels and considering what you have it's a obvious choice.

The Shapton glass 500 and 2000 with the above atoma would be my recommendation.

To start I would recommend a diamond plate such as the Atoma 140. It will make short work of setting bevels which is typically the time consuming part of sharpening high wear steels. It's also great for lapping waterstones.

For stones, the Shapton pro work a bit better on high wear steels but I think the glass stone might be the better choice here. I have not used them myself but they are formulated for more modern steels and considering what you have it's a obvious choice.

The Shapton glass 500 and 2000 with the above atoma would be my recommendation.

Thank you👍

been using choseras for a while and they been working great for me.

atoma 140 for flattening.
400x
800x
2000x
3000x
dlt double sided strop bark river black and white compound

If you can find one reasonable, a black Arkansas stone can produce an incredible edge with the proper technique :eek:

I disagree, I finish everything from cpm m90 cpm m4 s30v s110v and tons of other steels. Even bucks old 440c. That everyone claims it's to hard to sharpen. Arkansas stones cut slow witch = patients. And don't wear out like diamond stones.

Dmt makes these small plates that i love. about 1"X2". very light, and they double as a key ring. i have the fine and extra fine. i also have the dmt "aligner" plates: similarly constructed, but about 4" long. i have three of these: extra course, course, and fine. I can get my edges to pop hair with the dmt fine, so that's all i need. i don't plan on shaving or performing surgery with my knives. sometimes i use the extra fine, then a strop, just to experiment. i never heard of a diamond stone wearing out.

Diamond hones outperform natural and manufactured 'stones' when it comes to high carbide steels. I use DMTs for 99% of my sharpening, including high carbon steels. Once in a while, when I'm feeling nostalgic, I dig out a massive Black Arkansas bench stone inherited from a great-uncle, as it puts a beautiful finishing edge on high carbon blades, but otherwise it's the DMTs.

For the $, I would go with DMT C-F-XF-XXF
But I have heard good things about Sharpton.
And I love my Translucent Arkie from Dan's whetstone company too, even if it does require a little more patience.
I don't care for the added maintenance of water stones. DMT spoiled me long ago.

I've got like 8 diamond stones from dmt and Smith's. There shot, all the grit is gone they wear out very quickly. And as far as diamond "outperforming" natural stones No they out cut or I should say cut faster than Arkansas stones. I've got some Norton stones that will out cut a dmt any day of the week. Arkansas stones polish as they remove material. There highly sought after for a reason. If one would look under magnification, one would see the difference.

Back