What Survival Bag do you use?

Thanks Halberdier. That looks like a really good pack, even though it is heavy. I gotta take a look at that.

One of these days, I'm going to learn not to click on these types of threads. :mad: :thumbup::D

Edited to add another question: You say that your current pack weight is probably 5# empty. Different pack? Or this pack, but not all the "stuff" attached?

Nevermind... just saw your post above that, the Molle2 Assault Pack is the one I'm guessing is 5# empty.

I like the look of this full pack, though. It is kinda like the new ALICE.

It's the old pay-per-click. I already got bit once this week. :)

There are so many so called 'assault' packs out there that you got to just ignore the titles and look at the specs. The smaller pack I got has an internal stiffening panel instead of a frame, and that saves a lot of weight. So yes, it's about 5 lbs with all the accessories and empty canteens.

The larger pack is so awesome words can't describe it. I forgot to mention that for $60, it's actually brand new! I know I'll use mine sooner or later, but I can't justify the extra weight for regular use. It would have to be something special like taking a lot of cold weather gear.

I've been eying the Pygmy Falcon II and Falcon II for at least a year or so and couldn't decide which I wanted so finally bit the bullet and ordered a Pygmy II along with a medium Rollypoly pouch for my water bottle and a Rollypoly backpack from Going Gear.

I received them last week and as I feared both the Pygmy II and the Rollypoly backpack were a little smaller/too basic than I wanted so I've got a Falcon II and Rollypoly Extreme backpack inbound from Battery Junction where they were on sale.

I like the Rollypolys(?) as back-up bags, especially when on vacation, etc when I don't need to carry the full stash of gear in the Falcon/Pygmy. I plan to use the Falcon/Pygmy as my main EDC/BOB bags and keep one of the Rollypoly bags attached or inside as backups.

As a side note, I bought black versions of each as it's easier to keep things coordinated that way!

Dude, that's a kiddie size pack. You might want to reconsider.

You do realize the MOLLE pack system is designed to attach many different types of pouches and bags, holders, holsters to? I will add the pouches that I need for things that don't fit in the main pack. I can buy many different ones on ebay. For what I am doing it will work good.

Filson Small Field Bag with the essentials.

picture.php

Jeff

I received them last week and as I feared both the Pygmy II and the Rollypoly backpack were a little smaller/too basic than I wanted so I've got a Falcon II and Rollypoly Extreme backpack inbound from Battery Junction where they were on sale.

Having a little pack-away daypack can be handy. I used to keep a super-cheapo (free with a magazine subscription) daypack in the tail of my motorcycle for those times I was out for a ride and decided to buy something that wouldn't fit in my pocket. I liked it because it was thin nylon and folded up into a tiny package. It worked well but barely fit on me. It didn't last long.

I replaced it with a Maxpedition Merlin. I looked at them several times but couldn't make myself cough up the money. I finally found them on clearance somewhere for a more reasonable price. It's a nice pack, and large enough to be useful (15"x12"x6" main compartment plus a couple of pockets).

Stay sharp,
desmobob

You do realize the MOLLE pack system is designed to attach many different types of pouches and bags, holders, holsters to? I will add the pouches that I need for things that don't fit in the main pack. I can buy many different ones on ebay. For what I am doing it will work good.

That's cool man. I was just giving you a heads up. I got this exact pack as a throw-in with some other stuff and was really surprised when it showed up looking like some 1st grader's commando backpack. :thumbup:

My survival gear is in my Ribz frontpack (I've go thte camo version). Works way better than any vests I've tried. This setup allows mw to have all my survival essentials on me even if I have to dump my ruck, or otherwise am seperated from my gear.

My Pack is a heavy old large swiss alpine rucksack which expands out to 5000+ c.i. No waist belt and yet extremely comfortable to carry even with heavy loads. I never have cared for waist belts.

I use a Maxped Vulture II and Proteus combo. The Proteus piggy-backs and can be strapped on for foraging, firewood gathering, etc. while the larger pack stays at camp/home. I usually fill the Proteus with a poncho, heat sheat, first-aid, survival kit, energy bars, fire kit, Mora etc. and the larger pack holds extra clothes, blanket/sleeping bag, secondary kits, chopper/machete, and whatever else I feel like packing about. I used to use an EMS day pack that left a lot to be desired and before that, a Snugpak Rocket Pack with a PLCE yoke for the side packs. I feel that the Maxped setup is a lot easier, faster, and more compact with more modular versatility than the Snugpak system. I can't wait to pick up some other Maxped stuff to strap on, specifically the bottle pouch and a Roly-poly or two.

I have the Maxpedition Condor II. About 1900 Cu. inches. Large enough for a decent amount of gear but not too big to slow you down..

Having a little pack-away daypack can be handy. I used to keep a super-cheapo (free with a magazine subscription) daypack in the tail of my motorcycle for those times I was out for a ride and decided to buy something that wouldn't fit in my pocket. I liked it because it was thin nylon and folded up into a tiny package. It worked well but barely fit on me. It didn't last long.

I replaced it with a Maxpedition Merlin. I looked at them several times but couldn't make myself cough up the money. I finally found them on clearance somewhere for a more reasonable price. It's a nice pack, and large enough to be useful (15"x12"x6" main compartment plus a couple of pockets).

Stay sharp,
desmobob

Yeah the small sling/cinch packs do come in handy. I've got some half-decent ones that I normally keep in my pack. On my trip to Punta Cana last month I only took a cheapy one (that Skechers was giving out when you buy shoes), which I was using for the beach and on excursions I did (dune buggies, zip-lining and speed boating) and the Skechers bag took a serious beating. The nylon straps are fraying, etc, but I knew it wasn't a very durable bag. That's kinda what prompted me to get the two Rollypoly packs. I know they're much more durable and I like the RP Extreme in particular because it has the two extra front pockets.
I was considering the Merlin too but went with the Extreme instead.

Cheers bud!

For a new EDC bag, i plan on picking up a "Bail-Out-Bag" Gen 5 by countycomm, but will do some modding to it in terms of sealing the fabric (will use a silicon sealer conconction). It looks about the right size to hold my immediate gear needs w/o being too huge and cumbersome.

However, right now i use my camera bag - a Kata 3n1-30 - to carry my gear plus my event-specific photo gear (35mm, 6x6, 6x7 and/or dSLR - all depends on the assignment/event).

http://www.amazon.com/Kata-KT-D-3N1-30-Sling-Backpack/dp/B001BP1YEE

I don't have any pics of it being used my me, but it's a SUPER versatile bag - 2 shoulder straps (or one), hipbelt, and a great capacity for immediate stuff.

...For a new EDC bag, i plan on picking up a "Bail-Out-Bag" Gen 5 by countycomm, but will do some modding to it in terms of sealing the fabric (will use a silicon sealer conconction). It looks about the right size to hold my immediate gear needs w/o being too huge and cumbersome.

However, right now i use my camera bag - a Kata 3n1-30 - to carry my gear plus my event-specific photo gear (35mm, 6x6, 6x7 and/or dSLR - all depends on the assignment/event).

http://www.amazon.com/Kata-KT-D-3N1-30-Sling-Backpack/dp/B001BP1YEE

I ordered one of those Gen 5 BOBs back in '06 or '07 when they were on sale for $39US + $10 S+H, but the $40 and change customs fees to Canada doubled the price of my order to over $80 Cdn, which I wasn't expecting. Talk about pissed off!! It's a great bag but I stopped using it after a short while because the weight of it when loaded out was uncomfortable to carry for long periods of time. It throws your body off balance trying to over-compensate for the weight being on one side of you, hence the reason I went back to backpack style bags. Just something to consider.
For now I'm using my recently purchased Pygmy Falcon II and am looking forward to getting my Falcon II sometime this week.

It's a great bag but I stopped using it after a short while because the weight of it when loaded out was uncomfortable to carry for long periods of time. It throws your body off balance trying to over-compensate for the weight being on one side of you, hence the reason I went back to backpack style bags. Just something to consider.

Thanks Nigel!

Bummer about the Customs...i have to deal with it too (but only for another 2 days!!).

Excellent reminder Nigel!!! I'll need to tatoo this to my forehead to be certain i don't forget.

Yea, i used to carry my photobag like that - one sling over my shoulder. Like you found it to be too heavy on long photo days and especially so on long walks. It made for a sore lower back and shoulders.

However, i'm looking for something thats going to carry basics: Trailmaster; Leatherman Wave; Buck Paklite Skinner; a very basic fire-kit and 1 camera/1 lens as well as my personal documents (need to always have my passport on me as well as other ID docs/VISA).

If its a longer photo event and i need to pack more photo gear, i'll re-load to the 3n1-30 (which is sorta on the big/bulky size).

Thanks Nigel!

Bummer about the Customs...i have to deal with it too (but only for another 2 days!!).

Excellent reminder Nigel!!! I'll need to tatoo this to my forehead to be certain i don't forget.

Yea, i used to carry my photobag like that - one sling over my shoulder. Like you found it to be too heavy on long photo days and especially so on long walks. It made for a sore lower back and shoulders.

However, i'm looking for something thats going to carry basics: Trailmaster; Leatherman Wave; Buck Paklite Skinner; a very basic fire-kit and 1 camera/1 lens as well as my personal documents (need to always have my passport on me as well as other ID docs/VISA).

If its a longer photo event and i need to pack more photo gear, i'll re-load to the 3n1-30 (which is sorta on the big/bulky size).

I hear you, don't even get me started on camera bags! I've got 8 digital cameras (P&S and dSLRs) and at least 2 dozen cases and bags for them! Everything from different sized top-loaders if I'm walking with just camera and one mounted lens, to Lowepro slings (can't remember if it's the Slingshot 100AW or 200 AW I have) and full out AW Computrekker backpacks for full kits with my SB800s, filters, grids, etc, etc!

The most recent one I picked up is the Case Logic SLRC 205 sling. It's pretty neat and should suit your needs for a small sling style bag! I can fit my D300, SB800 speedlite, G11 or S90 P&S, and other odds and ends in it. They're on sale at Amazon but here's the Case Logic web page for details on the pack, not a link to the actual sale.
http://www.caselogic.com/slr_sling/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=138051

Sorry, didn't mean to go off-topic! Back to your regularly scheduled program.

Last edited:
I ordered one of those Gen 5 BOBs back in '06 or '07 when they were on sale for $39US + $10 S+H, but the $40 and change customs fees to Canada doubled the price of my order to over $80 Cdn, which I wasn't expecting. Talk about pissed off!! It's a great bag but I stopped using it after a short while because the weight of it when loaded out was uncomfortable to carry for long periods of time. It throws your body off balance trying to over-compensate for the weight being on one side of you, hence the reason I went back to backpack style bags. Just something to consider.
For now I'm using my recently purchased Pygmy Falcon II and am looking forward to getting my Falcon II sometime this week.

When I carry a messenger style bag like that out in the woods, I usually end up sliding it around behind me anyway. Sort of like a low-riding gearslinger bag. It's not perfect weight distribution, but it's better, and I don't overload that kind of bag with a lot of weight anyway. Just the essentials.

I love my Pygmy Falcon II, and I've actually worn both my Leatherback satchel and the Pygmy Falcon at the same time when I had a lot to carry. Of course, when I do that I can't really push the satchel around behind me. :cool:

Finally couldn't resist any longer. Ordered the Molle II ruck from armygear. Did NOT order sustainment pouches, though, because I THINK I had looked before and they were out. Looked today after I made the purchase (stoopid me:mad: ) and they had the sustainment pouches. But I think I'll look at it first and see if I think I need them.

Back