What Survival Bag do you use?

For hiking and general purpose I use a black medium Tacforce hydration pack and a Large OD army issue rucksack stowed away for serious business.

Finally couldn't resist any longer. Ordered the Molle II ruck from armygear. Did NOT order sustainment pouches, though, because I THINK I had looked before and they were out. Looked today after I made the purchase (stoopid me:mad: ) and they had the sustainment pouches. But I think I'll look at it first and see if I think I need them.

If it hasn't shipped yet, you can call them and have these added. They're pretty okay folks over there.

Did you get the package deal, or just the ruck? If you got the whole thing, you might just decide that you don't need the sustainment pouches once you see how large it is. Or are you wanting them for organization. Anyway, don't feel bad about spending the bucks. These really good deals come every once in a while, then they go away and you kick yourself for missing out.

If it hasn't shipped yet, you can call them and have these added. They're pretty okay folks over there.

Did you get the package deal, or just the ruck? If you got the whole thing, you might just decide that you don't need the sustainment pouches once you see how large it is. Or are you wanting them for organization. Anyway, don't feel bad about spending the bucks. These really good deals come every once in a while, then they go away and you kick yourself for missing out.

I got the whole kit/package deal: frame, belt, straps, pack, and sleep-system bag. Not TOO worried about organization; I used to use a Gregory.... um... heck, now I can't remember. Their pack that was basically nothing except a long top-loading bag, no external pockets, nothing [edited to add: just remembered, it is the Gregory Shasta]. It was a good pack, but I don't "back-pack" anymore, so I'm getting into slightly smaller stuff, and more modular. My main pack now is the Condor II, and I attach extra stuff to the exterior of it as needed. Right now, I am using it as a hunting pack, and it has one canteen pouch on it on one side, and a Maxped bottle holder on the other side, right now being used as an extra gear pocket. So that is the reason I looked at the sustainment pouches. But, i also looked on ebay, and there are a lot of them on there, from used to new (most of the new ones are expensive :eek: ), with used ones being comparably priced. So I figure I can pick up the sustainment pouches later, and possibly even in a matching pattern (armygear only had woodland).

I'm using the Snugpak rocket at the moment. It's proven to be very versalite - just unzip the 'rocket's and you've got a 45ltr compartment good for day trips. Zip them back on and you have enough room for shelter and sleeping bag.

AG_RPS01_L_1.jpg

I got the whole kit/package deal: frame, belt, straps, pack, and sleep-system bag. Not TOO worried about organization; I used to use a Gregory.... um... heck, now I can't remember. Their pack that was basically nothing except a long top-loading bag, no external pockets, nothing [edited to add: just remembered, it is the Gregory Shasta]. It was a good pack, but I don't "back-pack" anymore, so I'm getting into slightly smaller stuff, and more modular. My main pack now is the Condor II, and I attach extra stuff to the exterior of it as needed. Right now, I am using it as a hunting pack, and it has one canteen pouch on it on one side, and a Maxped bottle holder on the other side, right now being used as an extra gear pocket. So that is the reason I looked at the sustainment pouches. But, i also looked on ebay, and there are a lot of them on there, from used to new (most of the new ones are expensive :eek: ), with used ones being comparably priced. So I figure I can pick up the sustainment pouches later, and possibly even in a matching pattern (armygear only had woodland).

If you can figure out a way to attach them securely, the radio pouches are almost the size of a sustainment pouch and only run about $5 shipped on ebay (300439332731) brand new. And they are the right color :thumbup:

Edit: some better pics here: http://cgi.ebay.com/220480450761
Another Edit: never mind, they're open top. Glad I never bought one. They do look good for internal organization though.

Last edited:
Yeah... open topped... not so good. ;)

I'll see where I go after I see the pack up close. Like has been said, lots of pouches out there.

I like the True North Gear Loadmonster. Sharing weight between the shoulders and hips helps. I can have a 1qt Nalgene and a metal cup in each side pocket. My environmental layer of clothing is secured to the top, for easy access. This works much better for me than any backpack.

Spud

Why do you carry two metal cups ?

I carry two metal cups also.
Although I'm not sure why. Because I can?
I have a USGI canteen cup and ... stove(?) on one side, and a Maxped bottle holder and GSI stainless cup on the other.

In truth, the reason I carry both is just because they fit there, fit well, are minimal extra weight (on the short hunting trips around here), and I always know where they are.

Oh, and Halberdier, I'm apparently a total gear whore. I also just bought a Spec-Ops Recon Ruck Ultra on clearance. And I may or may not get a Downeastinc ALICE frame for it. If I decide it will primarily become my Jeep GHB, I doubt I'll put the frame on it. And it depends on its size, too. If it is more like a patrol pack or something, a frame would be kinda overkill.

In the summer I just sling a wool blanket bed roll over my shoulder. Inside the roll I keep a tarp and a small axe, along with whatever food items I am carrying. On my belt I keep a knife and a canteen / canteen cup for water and cooking. In my pockets I keep a first aid kit and a fire kit. Sometimes I carry a fishing pole in my hand.

Ultra-light backpacking at it's finest. It's almost necessary to sleep beside a fire to stay warm, though. So this method requires a lot of extra work at camp to be comfortable. I'd rather spend my time "working" at camp than working on the trail, hauling all that extra gear and weight up, though.

Winter time I just carry whatever rucksack I have at the moment. It just needs to be able to fit some extra clothing, a large tarp, and a sleeping bag. Any pack over 40litres is too big. If I can camp in the -30 Canadian winter with a 35 litre generic name ruck sack, you guys in more moderate areas can certainly do the same or better. I don't understand why massive 60+ litre bags even exist. What would you fill it with??

I carry two metal cups also.
Although I'm not sure why. Because I can?

I usually only carry one, but will start carrying two more often. On a day hike, sometimes it's nice to be heating water for coffee while still eating my soup. There have also been a few times I would have shared a hot cuppa joe if I had another cup....

Stay sharp,
desmobob

I use a vest or 1 of 3 of my Maxpedition packs. Or even a vest combo with one of my Maxpedition packs. It just depends on what I think I need to carry for that trip. It is always better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it.

If I can camp in the -30 Canadian winter with a 35 litre generic name ruck sack, you guys in more moderate areas can certainly do the same or better.

Just because you can survive (thrive?) at -30 and 35 liters doesn't mean I want to. :) I'd much prefer the extra weight. Heck, if i go winter camping, I've got enough stuff with me that my pack won't fit under low highway overpasses. :D

KuRupTD,
Why two cups? It saves time and fuel to have two cups. Both cups heat water from the same heat source. Also, after initial water is consumed, one cup boils water for my Nalgenes, while I cook or drink from the other.

Spud

Just because you can survive (thrive?) at -30 and 35 liters doesn't mean I want to. :) I'd much prefer the extra weight. Heck, if i go winter camping, I've got enough stuff with me that my pack won't fit under low highway overpasses. :D

yup...well, except the highway overpass thing. i don't overpack THAT much. haha!

It's almost necessary to sleep beside a fire to stay warm, though. So this method requires a lot of extra work at camp to be comfortable. I'd rather spend my time "working" at camp than working on the trail, hauling all that extra gear and weight up, though.

either way you slice it you'll still work, just at different points. i'd rather work my legs carrying a heavy load (i'm a mountain biker too so i have pretty good leg muscles) and then play at camp.

either way you slice it you'll still work, just at different points. i'd rather work my legs carrying a heavy load (i'm a mountain biker too so i have pretty good leg muscles) and then play at camp.

Yeah, exactly. You'll be doing work either way; it's just about deciding which kind of work you enjoy! The hike in, or the camping part. I like the camping and bushcraft part, personally.

My legs are the strongest part of my body from years of skateboarding (yes...lol), running, power lifting, and good ol' mountaineering. I'm in very good shape. Despite this, I'd still rather carry a super light load and basically jog up a mountain than carry a typical "backpacking" load out. This way I can make it to my camp spot in 3 hours of hiking rather than 4, for example. Then I get to spend this extra time having fun making shelter and fire, or in many cases fishing. It's more enjoyable than pitching a tent and cooking on an LPG stove :)

Plus the occasional looks you get on the trail are priceless when people ask where your pack is!

okay, i just checked my maxpedition falcon ii's specs and it says it's 25 liters. i can fit everything i need inside for a winter overnighter with a sleeping bag and a tent or tarp strapped on the outside...so now i'm curious how big is your pack and what stuff do you bring? :eek::D and to think i'm an over-packer.

Twenty-five liters is not that large. Only 1500ci. My Condor II is larger than that. My backpacking/winter camping pack is about 5000 or 5200 cubic inches. On the order of 85 liters.

I pack all my tent, poles, and sleeping bag internally in the Shasta. For the winter camping trip where it wouldn't fit under overpasses, I had an OLD 30degF bag that I knew wouldn't be enough, so I had made up a liner for it. The only option on the liner at the time was to use a heavy fleece blanket, which got packed in as well. Along with a couple layers of insulating clothing, and foul-weather gear (gore-tex). By the time all that was packed inside the Shasta's tube, the pack extended about 8-10 inches higher than my head. It was hysterical. Not very heavy, but quite bulky. I would be able to downsize some now, because I have a better bag; that alone would probably bring it back down to level with the top of my head. But it wasn't unusual at all for me to be carrying about 4400ci of gear/food/clothes/shelter/etc. I wasn't efficient, by any means. :rolleyes:

I asked this next bit in Gadgets & Gear and got nowhere.
With the new diligence on separating W&SS gear from W&SS activities, if I post it as a W&SS query, the thread will just get moved.
So I'll ask here...

Does anybody have some clear photos of Maxpedition Olive Drab next to Maxpedition Foliage Green?

Back