What to paint Ontario RAT2 "Nylon 6" scales with? Nail polish, acrylic paint?

Hashishiin

Gold Member
So, I've just done some scale-swapping and made a RAT2 with a black D2 blade and a Coyote Brown AUS-8 blade. First disassembly of a knife. Boy, that was more difficult than I thought it would be. Messed the centering up once or twice, but all good now. It already looks Star-Wars-y, reminds me of the Microtech Exocet or something. Looks quite cool, the black-on-white.

Now, I have had an idea for a painting for a little bit, the R2D2 as it is so affectionately dubbed should maybe portray the droid. I'm gonna do so with a bit of red, blue and black, and the big black pivot screw is actually a big advantage. I may share the concept drawing in the comments if anyone is interested, but mainly I'm interested in what I should use to paint on this material. Ontario calls it Nylon 6. I've heard of people painting Griptillians with nail polish... once painted a zinc alloy with acrylic pain, which I have access to, and no finisher, and the paint started to strip, but this time I intend to use finisher. I have heard GFN, GRN, FRN, FRCP and presumably Nylon 6 is similar stuff, so has anybody painted something on a knife with material like this to success, or just know what I should use?

I really should have bought these things (white-handled RAT2 off Ontario's website) for cheaper while they were on sale during the holidays, so I could have hooked some people up with R2D2 RAT2s, only problem is, they're in AUS-8 till I changed that, ha. Also, I'm almost scared to buy a RAT2 off of Amazon, they're faking those now, too, can you believe it? 1 and 2. Price almost doubled on Ontario's site... think that's cause the sale is up, or world issues?
Anyways, thank you for any answers! This is gonna be an awesome knife.

Since you pretty much can't glue to nylon any paint isn't going to "stick" to it very well. Probably your best chance at getting paint to stick would be to sandblast the scales where you want to paint them as a prep.

Back