WHAT TO USE TO SHARPEN A COMBO BLADE ?

I bought a knife with a combo blade and I don't know what to use to sharpen it with. Been looking at a combo whetstone 1000/6000 grit and a work sharp guided sharpening system.Trying to keep it under a $100. The steel is 154CM.I don't know how to sharpen a knife.I think every man should know to sharpen his own knives.So this going to be my new hobby.What do you guys think?

You should probably get familiar with Youtube. By combo blade, do you mean partially serrated? You'll need two types of sharpeners to do the full blade. They make file type sharpeners for serrations and you can use a regular stone for the non-serrated part of the blade. I have an Edge Pro and a strop system but I also don't have to worry about serrations because I don't own any serrated knives (other than a few kitchen knives that I rarely use).

You should easily be able to get started for under a $100 with the basic tools you'll need. I think you can get a work sharp kit for like $30 and just add a diamond file for the serrations.

And you're right, every man should know how to sharpen his own knives.

Edit to add: You wouldn't "need" two type of sharpeners for serrated blades. The Sharpmaker is certainly capable of doing both edges as a single tool. My style or preference would be stone for plain edge and diamond file/ceramic rod for serrations.

Last edited:
May I also suggest visiting the Maintenance subforum. Lots of great information about sharpening in there.

Spyderco sharpmaker works awesome for serrations used on serrated 154cm bunches always works great

This^^^^

It's my "go to" sharpener for serrated/partially serrated edges and it works great for standard edges as well.

And congratulations! Wanting to learn how to sharpen your knives is commendable. The Sharpmaker is great for beginners.

Agreed on the Sharpmaker. I have a KME, but use the Sharpmaker to keep everything maintained and it has no problems with serrations. Easy to use and learn.

I bought a knife with a combo blade and I don't know what to use to sharpen it with. Been looking at a combo whetstone 1000/6000 grit and a work sharp guided sharpening system.Trying to keep it under a $100. The steel is 154CM.I don't know how to sharpen a knife.I think every man should know to sharpen his own knives.So this going to be my new hobby.What do you guys think?

You should probably get familiar with Youtube. By combo blade, do you mean partially serrated? You'll need two types of sharpeners to do the full blade. They make file type sharpeners for serrations and you can use a regular stone for the non-serrated part of the blade. I have an Edge Pro and a strop system but I also don't have to worry about serrations because I don't own any serrated knives (other than a few kitchen knives that I rarely use).

You should easily be able to get started for under a $100 with the basic tools you'll need. I think you can get a work sharp kit for like $30 and just add a diamond file for the serrations.

And you're right, every man should know how to sharpen his own knives.

Edit to add: You wouldn't "need" two type of sharpeners for serrated blades. The Sharpmaker is certainly capable of doing both edges as a single tool. My style or preference would be stone for plain edge and diamond file/ceramic rod for serrations.

I think women should learn to sharpen their own knives just as much as men :thumbsup:

The main things I use to sharpen are a double sided Norton stone from the hardware store and an inexpensive ceramic rod, maybe a smiths brand? For that you are talking under $40. The key will be learning to use them. Practice on some knives you care less about like those cheap kitchen knives we all have. Another key is to not let the knives get fully dull for a long time. Touch up with a ceramic rod or strop regularly. For serrations, keep in mind most are a sort of chisel grind. I use serrations a lot on my Spyderco salt knives. I sharpen them sort of like a regular knife but cut the angle real low on the chisel side and don't do many passes.

Do head over to the Maintenance sub-form. Lots of good information there.

Lots of combo blade has the plain portion also chise ground. My advice is get a Spyderco Sharpmaker, watch the youtube where Sal Glesser demonstrates how to sharpen serration and treat the plain edge as serrated (if it’s also chisel ground).

If the plain edge is not chisel ground but ground symmetrically, the Sharpmaker still can be used, but the method needs to change: do the serration and plain individually, the plain should follow normal plain edge angle.

I think women should learn to sharpen their own knives just as much as men :thumbsup:

The main things I use to sharpen are a double sided Norton stone from the hardware store and an inexpensive ceramic rod, maybe a smiths brand? For that you are talking under $40. The key will be learning to use them. Practice on some knives you care less about like those cheap kitchen knives we all have. Another key is to not let the knives get fully dull for a long time. Touch up with a ceramic rod or strop regularly. For serrations, keep in mind most are a sort of chisel grind. I use serrations a lot on my Spyderco salt knives. I sharpen them sort of like a regular knife but cut the angle real low on the chisel side and don't do many passes.

Do head over to the Maintenance sub-form. Lots of good information there.
Thanks.i cannot seem to find the maintenance sub-form.

Thanks.i cannot seem to find the maintenance sub-form.

The Maintenance sub-forum, shorthand for the 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' sub-forum, is where your thread is posted now, so you're good. Hang around & look at the threads here, and you'll also likely get more input in this thread. No worries. :)

Last edited:
Back