What traditional folder do you bring hiking/hunting/fishing?

Macchina

Gold Member
What knife do you throw in your pocket when you head into the woods? Do you bring something stainless because it's safe or do you keep it carbon because it's awesome? Do you have a dedicated knife or pattern?

When backpacking I tend to carry my Buck 301 or a Victorinox Electrician Plus, but a day out in the woods is usually my Red Sawcut 77 clip:

How about you?

I don't have a slick outdoors picture like you guys, but this one is always with me. Great utility and a great bird knife, its got a nice patina from waterfowl this fall.

Usually a large, stainless stockman for me. This 440C Cuban GEC #53 works very well.

userSScuban_zpsc172ce00.jpg~original

Last edited:
Many, many, many, moons ago, when I had time to hunt and fish (and the money to buy the combo hunt/fish license) I carried a Schrade LB7 or 7OT when hunting. When fishing, a 4 inch Rapalla filet knife was usually in my tackle box, along with a Camillus scout/camp/utility knife ... and a dedicated toenail clipper to cut the fishing line.

There are a few folders that I take hiking with me, but most often, over the past couple of years, has been this lovely old Carl Schlieper, which Duncan gifted me. The steel is great, and it has a good, solid, dependable feel to it :thumbup:

I don't hunt anymore. I just don't have time or the days off for it anymore. But the family and I do hike and camp a lot. So, I tend to take fixed blades with me during those times. On the weird occasion we have to go to town though I'll throw in my pocket any folder I have with me. Usually a SAK. I will say though that since my traditional collection has increased over the last few months some other sort will be making those trips.

Like, I reckon, most of us, I'll generally carry more than one. I usually carry a SAK of some sort and, if I need/want a larger cutter, I'll go with my carbon Opinel no. 8 ...

-- Mark

I carried a Victorinox Farmer and a Marbles Fieldcraft for many years. I decided to switch things up this year, and find a new combo. I've been carrying a Remington R-4, and recently added a Mudbug. Between the two, I'm quite comfortable.

YON2o1Hh.jpg

95h8X0Rh.jpg

Depends on what I feel like. Often a SAK Farmer, Case 6375, or Sodbuster for a folder.... Often a Mora or a Craftsman (Schrade) that was my old man's for a fixed blade.

I carried a Victorinox Farmer and a Marbles Fieldcraft for many years. I decided to switch things up this year, and find a new combo. I've been carrying a Remington R-4, and recently added a Mudbug. Between the two, I'm quite comfortable.

YON2o1Hh.jpg

95h8X0Rh.jpg

What about the #72 Buzz?

Lately it has been my Opinel #7 paired with a sak. In the past i carried a full sizes Trapper and a sak a lot.

Jim

What about the #72 Buzz?
It was the #72 that got me going on the Mudbug. I originally purchased the #72 in an effort to find a lockback that was lighter on my belt than my Buck 110. The #72, as awesome as it is, was just ssmaller in the grip than I wanted for outdoor use. So I moved up to the #42, the #72's big brother. But the grip on the #42 was still just a little too small and thin. So now I've moved up to the MudBug.

The Mudbug is very nice, but I'm still not sure it's what I'm after. The grip is still thinner than I'd prefer. And I'm not in love with the sodbuster blade shape. It may end up getting reground into a spear blade.

I don't know what it is about GEC lockbacks, but the grips always seem to be too thin for my hands. As much as I prefer GEC, I may end up with a Queen Mountain Man.

For now, the #72 is one of my EDC options. The size is great for me for office and home use. I'm not sure where the #42 will end up. It's too big for EDC, but too small for outdoor. It has no real place in my carry rotation. It's too bad. It's an awesome knife.

nqfN2F7h.jpg

qtyo7B8h.jpg

It was the #72 that got me going on the Mudbug. I originally purchased the #72 in an effort to find a lockback that was lighter on my belt than my Buck 110. The #72, as awesome as it is, was just ssmaller in the grip than I wanted for outdoor use. So I moved up to the #42, the #72's big brother. But the grip on the #42 was still just a little too small and thin. So now I've moved up to the MudBug.

The Mudbug is very nice, but I'm still not sure it's what I'm after. The grip is still thinner than I'd prefer. And I'm not in love with the sodbuster blade shape. It may end up getting reground into a spear blade.

I don't know what it is about GEC lockbacks, but the grips always seem to be too thin for my hands. As much as I prefer GEC, I may end up with a Queen Mountain Man.

For now, the #72 is one of my EDC options. The size is great for me for office and home use. I'm not sure where the #42 will end up. It's too big for EDC, but too small for outdoor. It has no real place in my carry rotation. It's too bad. It's an awesome knife.

nqfN2F7h.jpg

qtyo7B8h.jpg

Buzz,

What color is that reddish brown 72. Really liking that one.

I don't hunt (yet) but I do enjoy hiking, fishing and spearfishing.

When I do freshwater fishing I always have an Opinel on me, usually a no. 6.

When I do saltwater fishing I have a modern stainless one hand opener.

When I go spearfishing I have my diving knife which really isn't anything special. That's for when I'm in the water. When I get out I have either an Opinel no. 8 or 9 or Mora companion for gutting the fish I shot

When I hike its usually my victorinox waiter. The thing is so light and useful and the tool selection is everything you need but not more

Camping (I know it's not listed but its still outdoors! ) I bring my victorinox Spartan for carry and have my Opinel no. 9 for kitchen duty

I don't know what it is about GEC lockbacks, but the grips always seem to be too thin for my hands.

You already know what the solution is. Stag. Get yourself a knife with nice, fat stag covers.

Back