What traditional folder do you bring hiking/hunting/fishing?

You already know what the solution is. Stag. Get yourself a knife with nice, fat stag covers.

So true. I just bought two #77 barlows from pre-order. The micarta for myself. The stag for my father-in-law. Both came with leather pocket slips. My micarta fit perfectly in my pocket slip. The stag would have busted the seams if it was put in the pocket slip. Thick slabs!!!

More often than not, it's an Opinel (lately this green #8):

A0z9vcM.jpg

Sometimes it's a SAK, or some other knife.
To add more details to my answer, I tend to carry a small fixed blade as well when I'm hiking, and I don't hunt. :)

Fausto
:cool:

I always have my Leatherman Wave on my belt and a folder in my pocket. Currently the folder is a Case Copperlock.

I haven't hunted in many years, but I still fish and woods ramble. When I do, one of these will go along, depending on my mood.

14504302427_3253769170_c.jpg

I generally have a 111mm SAK in my pocket. So, unless I am thinking about it, that is what ends up being carried the most for woods walking. If I am hunting, I generally choose the two bladed GEC #42 along with the sak (just because) and a modest fixed blade. Fishing, more than likely all I will have with me is the SAK as I do mostly catch and release. I do most of my cutting while fishing with a clippers.

I was out fishing Wednesday, A Northwoods IRJ in my pocket and a Leatherman Rebar in a belt pouch.

I have many to choose from but I tend to Buck's - I like the stainless steel for a hunters knife and I like the design features of the 100 series - my favorites in the fall are a Buck 307 in my pocket, a Buck 110 on my belt, and a Buck 118 in my pack. I do change it up, sometimes I carry an old Schrade USA 8OT in lieu pf the 307, a Buck 112 in lieu of the 110, and a Buck 102 or 105 in lieu of the 118. OH

IMG_23722.JPG

IMG_49361.JPG

Recovered_Core-Lokt_s_and_Buck_118.JPG

Ps You fellows own an awful lot of nice hunting knives, shown in these pictures, that I would like to try! OH

You already know what the solution is. Stag. Get yourself a knife with nice, fat stag covers.

Brother, of course I read your sig line in James Earl Jones voice. Thulsa Doom, taking cues from Darth Vader!

As for which knives I take. I always have my single blade Damascus Case peanut, in addition to my ebony Case Bose Tribal Spear. If I'm going hiking, I usually have either my Gossman 3.5" blade Kephart, or my 3" blade Kephart. The UNK from Scott does a great job too, used that on a deer my little brother took, my father was amazed at the knife. Wharncliff, razor sharp, it cut through that deer like butter. I've been known to take my Gossman PSK Jr too, but for most short walks, I've got a couple slipjoints. 3" blade seems to be ideal for me. I used to carry the gigantic tactical folders with 4" or more blades, sharpened prybars, and they did nothing except take up space and weight in my pockets. I like the few large blade slipjoints and lockbacks I have left, but pair a 3" blade with my peanut, and I'm good to go.

Case Damascus single blade peanut
Case Bose 2010 Tribal Spear

(Then we go OCD :D)
Tracy Larock dogleg jack O1, micarta
Tracy Larock small Lanny's Clip O1, micarta, linerless
Gene Wiseman spear point barlow D2, micarta

I might just take the peanut and a Victorinox alox pioneer, black.

Last edited:
Case Sodbuster Jr. accomplishes the usual cutting tasks but also does a good job of spreading peanut butter. :peaceful:
PA090390_zpsoobwk1va.jpg

My father-in-law sent me home with his old hunting knives, for me to sharpen. I thought you might like to see what old school looks like. He's 85 now, so the knives are probably about 50 or 60 years old. One is a Mora. The other has no markings whatsoever.

NBT7hAgh.jpg

ZgvOmrjh.jpg

My father-in-law sent me home with his old hunting knives, for me to sharpen. I thought you might like to see what old school looks like. He's 85 now, so the knives are probably about 50 or 60 years old. One is a Mora. The other has no markings whatsoever.

NBT7hAgh.jpg

ZgvOmrjh.jpg

Now these are great old time hunters:thumbup:

Back