What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Effective pairing, Todd. 🤠:thumbsup:
Thanks John, good to have the Jack back! 😊👍
Nice to see the Texas jack again. Kind of missed seeing it. That’s probably a sign I should get one.
Thanks Jon, I missed carrying it. Not sure what it is about it that knife, I guess I just like it.😊👍
View attachment 1646017
My carry for today. I still feel like an idiot for not wanting one when the production schedule came out. Good thing I didn’t make the mistake of passing on it.
Glad to see that you picked one up, it looks great and looks like it works well too! 😄👍

Today only (Wearing sweats today. Jeans & Cargo Pocket Kaki's is in the wash): 1988 to 2004 Imperial Ireland Barlow.
(The 828318 & 852211 & Imperial Engineer's knife are "too heavy" for sweat pants pocket, and no belt loop for a belt, sheath or key ring.)
View attachment 1646263
I dunno ... are the Imperial Ireland knives "inferior" to the Imperial Prov. RI. knives of the same model?
I think they're about the same. Do you have a Rhode Islander to compare it to?

I purchased this 373 on an impulse when I saw it hanging by itself in the local hardware store. I knew it was produced offshore and was curious on its quality.

I would consider it acceptable, but does not have that Buck "feel".

It certainly works fine and has held up well so far living in sweaty and dirty work pants over the last couple of weeks on the farm.

And yes, I really want a Polaris but there are two things holding me back. The six month backlog and the higher than normal pricing due to high demand.

View attachment 1646119
They ain't bad knives, I had one before it was stolen at the gate of a Pirates game.
PS I'd go Honda, no belts.

#92 again and working the Angus Jack into the rotation

C4Y6rKR.jpg

That craftsman looks ulster made to me Jeff. Nice knife, well suited to a man of action!
Thanks, Paul. I’m going to compare it to a jigged delrin Craftsman that you helped ID as an Ulster. And a couple of 881Ys as well. What should I look for?

Edit~ it does have a through pivot pin, so it’s not Swinden cnstruction.
Too bad there’s no model # on the tang.
Man, I love the 29 pattern! It was my favorite for quite a while after it was released, and I acquired several of them. Till I sliced my finger twice reaching into my pocket for mine, because there’s such a gap at the clip point end where there is no wrap around spring. Obviously user error, but it happened two times and that was the end of my love affair with the 29. I still have one, and it’s such a great knife, but in my case I guess I need to carry it in a slip, and I don’t prefer to use those.

Nice one you have there, and a great pic!
Have you considered lowering the kick a wee bit so the tip rides safely inside?

Last edited:
Is that the Michigan or Broadway. I love my Broadway jack.

IMO the best covers on the 29 which is an excellent pattern. I much prefer the awl over a 3rd blade.
Michigan. I had a red sawcut Broadway years ago and i sold it. Regretfully. Just like all the other gec / northwoods I’ve sold.

afX6XaD.jpg

Northwoods Indian River Jack
I’m just saying that IRJ would be better in red. I have a thing for red northwoods knives. The clip slip is awesome. I bought one because of your videos.
Michigan. I had a red sawcut Broadway years ago and i sold it. Regretfully. Just like all the other gec / northwoods I’ve sold.
I can understand. My Broadway is red sawcut. The Michigan is nice too.

Thanks, Paul. I’m going to compare it to a jigged delrin Craftsman that you helped ID as an Ulster. And a couple of 881Ys as well. What should I look for?

Glad to help Jeff. I have a few tips, hopefully they are concise enough.

The bone craftsman you posted today has rogers bone, which was not used by schrade.
The blades are also very important in discerning, there will be differences in the shape of the blades and the way swedges are done. This is best shown with side by side knives, but for example one of the most noticeable blade differences is the 4” schrade stockmans had a swedge that went over the top of the long pull and to the tip instead of starting in front of the pull like your ulster craftsman. In 1957 schrade moved in with ulster in the ellenville factory after a fire at the walden factory, and not long afterwards the two brands blended into the same product. At that point the only differences between ulster and schrade you will see on the 4” stockmans is the swedge and pull of the main blade and blade finish with ulsters being high polished with schrades glazed, and the swedges being the same differences as aforementioned. The secondary blades were identical then and the knives used the same swinden frame. This is the meaning of the term “ulster blades” when one is referring to a schrade. They all used delrin handles at this time but there was still variation. In an ironic twist the ulsters would often have peachseed delrin while the schrades had the wavy jig style delrin. Ulster probably had more craftsman branded knives than schrade in this period but there were a lot of both, some craftsman patterns being specific to one brand and some shared by both brands. For example the ulster 58OT, schrade 855, craftsman 9472, craftsman 9553, and craftsman 9505 are all the same pattern only discerned by variation in branding, handles/shields and stainless or carbon blades. The craftsman scout knives of the delrin era were all ulster styled and occasionally you will see one with a schrade stamp.

Glad to help Jeff. I have a few tips, hopefully they are concise enough.

The bone craftsman you posted today has rogers bone, which was not used by schrade.
The blades are also very important in discerning, there will be differences in the shape of the blades and the way swedges are done. This is best shown with side by side knives, but for example one of the most noticeable blade differences is the 4” schrade stockmans had a swedge that went over the top of the long pull and to the tip instead of starting in front of the pull like your ulster craftsman. In 1957 schrade moved in with ulster in the ellenville factory after a fire at the walden factory, and not long afterwards the two brands blended into the same product. At that point the only differences between ulster and schrade you will see on the 4” stockmans is the swedge and pull of the main blade and blade finish with ulsters being high polished with schrades glazed, and the swedges being the same differences as aforementioned. The secondary blades were identical then and the knives used the same swinden frame. This is the meaning of the term “ulster blades” when one is referring to a schrade. They all used delrin handles at this time but there was still variation. In an ironic twist the ulsters would often have peachseed delrin while the schrades had the wavy jig style delrin. Ulster probably had more craftsman branded knives than schrade in this period but there were a lot of both, some craftsman patterns being specific to one brand and some shared by both brands. For example the ulster 58OT, schrade 855, craftsman 9472, craftsman 9553, and craftsman 9505 are all the same pattern only discerned by variation in branding, handles/shields and stainless or carbon blades. The craftsman scout knives of the delrin era were all ulster styled and occasionally you will see one with a schrade stamp.
Great post. Lots of good information here.

My first traditional was a Barlow by Schrade. I wish I still had it, but in my young years I was a serial knife abuser.

I’m just saying that IRJ would be better in red. I have a thing for red northwoods knives. The clip slip is awesome. I bought one because of your videos.

I can understand. My Broadway is red sawcut. The Michigan is nice too.

I have the caplifter in Red. I’m not much of a red knife guy but I’m really glad I have that one!

Back