What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Osage

lNP8Nj1.jpg

I had hoped to test it out on a catfish or two today, but the catfish were not interested.
Better luck to you for today (if the Catfish was capable of a point of view I could understand it!). We have the Blue Angels Air Show to attend today at Cherry Point Air Station, but tomorrow I’m hitting the Bogue Inlet Pier to do a little sunrise fishing in the Atlantic. OH

Shows what I know! If it's 3 3/4", it should be the 35. The 31 is 3 3/8" or so.

Edit--Correction of bad info thanks to @mbkr --the 31 is the longer frame, the 35 the shorter.

Here are some Delrin handled knives from the 70s, 35s on the top, 31 center bottom:

Have a great weekend everyone.
S6PFssL.jpg
I'm a few days behind but I had to drag this back up. 😲
I have a few 35 and 31 and I love them, one of my favorite case patterns. The 31 frame feels chunkier to me. But that is a beautiful knife.

View attachment 1646634View attachment 1646635View attachment 1646636

Does anyone know why Elk covers seems to be associated with stainless steel blades? Is this just a GEC habit or is there an historical relationship?

Enjoying my second cup on the first cool morning in south Louisiana this fall. What a relief! Have a great weekend everyone.
I’m also a few days behind…
Not sure if someone else has answered you, but the GEC branded line uses only materials from the U.S.
ie. North American cattle bone. American elk., American Hardwood
The Northfield and Tidioute branded knives use a wider range of materials.
So you will only find the elk on Great Eastern Cutlery’s GEC, stainless line.

Last edited:
the GEC branded line uses only materials from the U.S.
ie. American cattle bone. American elk.
That's interesting and I haven't heard that before... thanks for teaching me something new. :)
Fantastic old Imperial knife with a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing it, GT. 🤠:thumbsup:
There we go... That's the Good Stuff right there.
The gorgeous bone color, the rounded handles, the fat pivot, the bomb shield, and oooh that blade shape... all work to form a fantastic looking knife. 🤠:thumbsup:
I've used fencing pliers a plenty, but I'm not sure what the other tool is? My guess is a wire twister? We used big screwdrivers... Love the knife by the way.

I've used fencing pliers a plenty, but I'm not sure what the other tool is? My guess is a wire twister? We used big screwdrivers... Love the knife by the way.
Thanks, John. The other tool is a piece of metal tubing that I use to put on the t-post clips. Same idea as the screw driver - hook the clip on the wire, put the tube through the loop on the clip and wrap it around the wire. On most of the clips we get, the hook end isn’t very hooked, so the tubing also allows you to bend that end around the wire more by putting the tubing over the end of it and bending. The handle was a chunk of walnut I had and was a way to try out my lathe when I first got it.

Thanks, John. The other tool is a piece of metal tubing that I use to put on the t-post clips. Same idea as the screw driver - hook the clip on the wire, put the tube through the loop on the clip and wrap it around the wire. On most of the clips we get, the hook end isn’t very hooked, so the tubing also allows you to bend that end around the wire more by putting the tubing over the end of it and bending. The handle was a chunk of walnut I had and was a way to try out my lathe when I first got it.
Oh, very cool idea... I just used slip joint pliers to bend the hooks around.
Your tube idea is much quicker and handier though for sure... I like it.

That's interesting and I haven't heard that before... thanks for teaching me something new. :)
I had to look it up to make sure I was correct, now that I know someone’s is paying attention!

“As American as possible” is what GEC says:

881Y and 293Y for Schradurday.CA909F94-9E89-452B-8BBB-EFFDAC692E14.jpegThanks to r8shell r8shell for making this cheerful pairing possible😊
And it’s that season again. I’ve got a few bags of hickory nuts I’ve gathered for planting, so the Wenger screwdriver blade helps in prying off the husks. I’ve been doing this for some years, and have a bunch of shagbark hickory and various oak seedlings coming up to replace the ash trees I lost to the emerald ash borer. I figure in about 180 years I’ll have some nice hardwoods.
I used to do this with black walnuts, but I’m now at the point of cutting some down that are shading my gardens. Poor planning 30 years ago. It’s funny😏, but the squirrels are partly to blame ~ they are fond of burying nuts and acorns in the wrong places, and I find them coming up everywhere I don’t want them.
A couple of those walnuts might be big enough to take to my friend’s mill.4A499B90-C0C7-4812-9CB1-BA3E8ABCDD71.jpeg

Last edited:
Back