What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

IMG_20141204_053134.jpg

Bob my friend that Peach Seed is coming along nicely. It must be seeing a lot of pocket time. :D
Thanks Ron. It does get quite a bit of pocket time. The wear on the bone is self inflicted though. The jigging had a lot of splintering that would catch material in my pockets and actually run under my fingernails from time to time. So I had put it to my belt sander a few months ago to smooth it out.
That's a beautiful Coffin Jack you picked up buddy. :cool:

Thanks Ron. It does get quite a bit of pocket time. The wear on the bone is self inflicted though. The jigging had a lot of splintering that would catch material in my pockets and actually run under my fingernails from time to time. So I had put it to my belt sander a few months ago to smooth it out.
That's a beautiful Coffin Jack you picked up buddy. :cool:

That I seems to be a frequent problem with GEC Jigged Bone Bob. Come to think of it that's probably one of the only faults that does appear on a regular basis. I remember when I got my Green Looking Glass Viper I stuck my finger and brought blood. I took some 600 and went around the edges, smoothed it right up. Thanks for the compliment on my Coffin Jack. I wish they would have had a Norfolk I believe I would really like to try one someday. They only made 100 of these DAM Coffin Jacks in 2014 and this was the last one they had so I figured I would give it a try. :)

The scales on that Keen Kutter are stag, GT. I like how they used the smoother piece for the shield/mark side and the gnarlier piece for the pile side.

As some of my earlier postings have illustrated, I am fond of old Coke bottle folding hunters. This one is by Continental Cutlery Company which, I understand from threads in this and other forums, was related to Robeson Cutlery and was in existence around 1914-1920.

oLyrbud.jpg

Sorry for the glare. I was outside waiting for the eclipse (80% in our neck of the woods) to arrive.
- Stuart

Remington today

VBP2BP8h.jpg
That's a fabulous looong-pull spear on your vintage Remington, Steve! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Carrying this little ebony GEC 14 on a 3-day weekend getaway to watch the eclipse in South Carolina.

MSqvb47.jpg
Such a lovely jack knife, Atiger!! :cool::thumbsup:

Do it! Look for the "shadow bands." https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/exploring-shadow-bands
It will only be at about 75% here, but I'll go outside and look. I don't trust those 'eclipse viewing glasses', so I'm going to punch a little hole in a piece of cardboard to do a pinhole projection on a piece of paper.

I think I have a knife that will help with that. :)View attachment 753048
Definitely the right tool for the rare job, r8shell!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

How High The Moon

35865882704_d55f829c04_b.jpg

Great photo of your knife (GEC #74?), Gev, and I enjoyed the jazzy video rendition of the song. Coincidentally, the backdrop of your photo reminds me of my recently-completed vacation. Huge orange full moon rose at dusk on the second day we were there, and I spent a substantial amount of time chasing poopy geese from the lawns of the cottages where we were staying.

Gary Thanks for the assumption but Harry @Old Engineer actually acquired his South Paw 73 in a trade with yours truly. He traded me an old worn out 77 Northfield African Blackwood Single Clip Barlow for that 73! :rolleyes:;) ...

Today I am totin' a souvenir from my recent trip to the Rendezvous. On Wednesday morning Pam and I decided to to a Case pilgrimage, so we drove up to Bradford. It is a very scenic drive from Titusville and only took around and hour or so. We went to the Case/Zippo company store. We took a leisurely look through the museum and of course the store! I ended up with a coffee mug and this Case Bose Coffin Jack. Then we ate lunch at the Beefeaters restaurant, which is housed in a very beautiful building historic library. All in all a very nice day trip that I recommend to anyone that makes the trip to Titusville. On our return home we made a quick detour through the small township of Tidioute PA. Obviously a significant name for Great Eastern Cutlery lovers. :D

36712450255_b072fcf665_b.jpg

Ron, that Case Damascus coffin jack is scintillating!! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup: Sounds like you and Pam squeezed a lot of good times and memories into your Rendezvous trip! :):thumbsup: Thanks for straightening me out on the trade with Harry, but it still seems consistent with your generous nature! Harry probably would have traded that old 77 Barlow for almost any edged tool (he probably didn't even have room for it in his Northfield Barlow display stand anyway ;)), yet you didn't take advantage of him and gave up a rare LH 73 in trade!! :thumbsup::D:thumbsup:

Thanks for all your kind words my friend :) Yes, that's a hay-bale. Good day today, but my mates 3 kids have worn me out! :eek: That's a beautiful knife to have in the kitchen :) :thumbsup:
Thanks for the 72 compliment and for the hay bale confirmation, Jack; the baler twine placement and composition is much different than my first-hand experience 50 years ago in the American Midwest! :rolleyes:

Quite a handful of steel (but no hickory ;))! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Vic Pocket Pals are such pleasant knives! :thumbsup:

The scales on that Keen Kutter are stag, GT. I like how they used the smoother piece for the shield/mark side and the gnarlier piece for the pile side.

As some of my earlier postings have illustrated, I am fond of old Coke bottle folding hunters. This one is by Continental Cutlery Company which, I understand from threads in this and other forums, was related to Robeson Cutlery and was in existence around 1914-1920.

oLyrbud.jpg

Sorry for the glare. I was outside waiting for the eclipse (80% in our neck of the woods) to arrive.
- Stuart
Thanks for the Keen Kutter stag info, Stuart; that knife was exceptional!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Your coke bottle hunter is looking much better at 100+ than I am at 65!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::D

First day back at work in over two weeks. I'll post photos of the 3 knives that were on my desk when I got in this morning.
Higonokami (thanks, Dan):
dQCxwLN.jpg

Frost Flying Falcon:
yCMPBzP.jpg

Case half-congress from a GAW (thanks, leghog):
c5F1xEb.jpg

- GT

Mark, remember the old Ray Stevens song "Every Knife Is Beautiful"!! ;):cool::thumbsup:

This one will help me in the kitchen this week (thanks, Dee):
pxelv55.jpg

- GT
GT, In its own way.... it is beautiful.:) Thanks!
So is that OD canvas! I wish they would use more canvas and less linen.

Barrett I hope you and your family have a fantastic time I know you've really been looking forward to this trip.

Glad you made it Barrett :) Hope you have a great time my friend :thumbsup:

Cool picture Barrett! Enjoy yourself!:thumbsup:

Inspired photo, Barrett! :cool::thumbsup: Glad your transcontinental, transatlantic flight was a success, and hope you have a splendid time in the UK. I assume this trip isn't really eclipse-related. ;)

Thanks guys! We're having a great trip! (I'll have to share some photos in the off-topic thread.)

We're at my brother's place in Bath now. Here's my #25 with one of the local residents. :D

M6qvqYh.jpg

Thanks for the 72 compliment and for the hay bale confirmation, Jack; the baler twine placement and composition is much different than my first-hand experience 50 years ago in the American Midwest! :rolleyes:

dQCxwLN.jpg

Apart from sitting on the rectangular ones, I think that is possibly the nearest I have been to a hay-bale GT! :D When I was a kid, we still had hay-stacks like this :) ;) :thumbsup:

Claude_Monet._Haystack._End_of_the_Summer._Morning._1891._Oil_on_canvas._Louvre%2C_Paris%2C_France.jpg

Great to see your Higo :) :thumbsup:

Thanks guys! We're having a great trip! (I'll have to share some photos in the off-topic thread.)

We're at my brother's place in Bath now. Here's my #25 with one of the local residents. :D

M6qvqYh.jpg

Gross! Knife looks good though ;) :thumbsup:

Great photo of your knife (GEC #74?), Gev, and I enjoyed the jazzy video rendition of the song. Coincidentally, the backdrop of your photo reminds me of my recently-completed vacation. Huge orange full moon rose at dusk on the second day we were there, and I spent a substantial amount of time chasing poopy geese from the lawns of the cottages where we were staying.
Yes, it's a coco stallion. I'm hooked on those fine ladies and find it refreshing to see what Joan Chamorro is doing with the youth. Sounds like you had a wondrous time. My mom did that needle point and her name is Joan...it was a tribute to her... I love you Mom

Last edited:
That's a fabulous looong-pull spear on your vintage Remington, Steve! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Such a lovely jack knife, Atiger!! :cool::thumbsup:

Definitely the right tool for the rare job, r8shell!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Ron, that Case Damascus coffin jack is scintillating!! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup: Sounds like you and Pam squeezed a lot of good times and memories into your Rendezvous trip! :):thumbsup: Thanks for straightening me out on the trade with Harry, but it still seems consistent with your generous nature! Harry probably would have traded that old 77 Barlow for almost any edged tool (he probably didn't even have room for it in his Northfield Barlow display stand anyway ;)), yet you didn't take advantage of him and gave up a rare LH 73 in trade!! :thumbsup::D:thumbsup:

Quite a handful of steel (but no hickory ;))! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Vic Pocket Pals are such pleasant knives! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the Keen Kutter stag info, Stuart; that knife was exceptional!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Your coke bottle hunter is looking much better at 100+ than I am at 65!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::D

First day back at work in over two weeks. I'll post photos of the 3 knives that were on my desk when I got in this morning.
Higonokami (thanks, Dan):
dQCxwLN.jpg

Frost Flying Falcon:
yCMPBzP.jpg

Case half-congress from a GAW (thanks, leghog):
c5F1xEb.jpg

- GT
How's this for hickory n steel ?

:D

Last edited:
Back