What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

A few more Coke bottle folders that are slightly related to the others that I have posted (or I think that they are related). Left to right: Hammer Brand (no NYKC stamp, "188" stamped on pile side) 1938-1941 based on Hammer stamp; OVB (mark side) Hibbard Spencer Bartlett & Co (pile side) 1884-1969?; Ulster Knife Co N.Y. (mark side) 1876-1941 based on stamp; Harris Bros & Co Chicago, IL. (mark side). The Hammer and the OVB-HSB are almost identical (including length of blade swedge - to end of nail mark) as the NYKC/Hammer Brand that I previously posted. I understand that OVB-HSB may have used Ulster Knife as a supplier, but the Ulster here has a most unusual blade with a short, but deep swedge and a lock-back feature. I have carried all, but the Harris Bros. Have only used the NYKC Hammer on a deer, though.

Hjus9IZ.jpg

- Stuart

I'm pretty confident that the hammer brand above was made by NKYC. Imperial usually used the Hammer Brand stamp on cheap shell-handled knives. I have never seen a large cokebottle like that that was definitely made by Imperial. It sure looks like a NYKC knife to me. The lack of a NYKC tang stamp is probably because there is only one blade, and the Hammer Brand stamp was all they needed at the time because it belonged to NYKC when it was made.

Regarding the similarity of the Hammer Brand and HSB, NYKC almost certainly made knives for HSB. I have an HSB dogleg jack that is the spitting image of a NKYC dogleg that has been posted here before. The discussion went in that direction, and the consensus was that NYKC made my HSB dogleg.

I'm pretty confident that the hammer brand above was made by NKYC. Imperial usually used the Hammer Brand stamp on cheap shell-handled knives. I have never seen a large cokebottle like that that was definitely made by Imperial. It sure looks like a NYKC knife to me. The lack of a NYKC tang stamp is probably because there is only one blade, and the Hammer Brand stamp was all they needed at the time because it belonged to NYKC when it was made.

Regarding the similarity of the Hammer Brand and HSB, NYKC almost certainly made knives for HSB. I have an HSB dogleg jack that is the spitting image of a NKYC dogleg that has been posted here before. The discussion went in that direction, and the consensus was that NYKC made my HSB dogleg.

Thanks for the confirmation, lambertiana. - Stuart

Smashing Dylan! :) :thumbsup:

Cool pic of your forum knife my friend, you got a nice one, and it's looking good :thumbsup:

I'm carrying this Taylor's Eye Witness today :) :thumbsup:

The Clarion Ramblers handbooks were a find while I was in Sheffield, very collectable, and in mint condition :) I thought they were facsimiles at first! :D

Thank you my friend . I just got lucky on receiving this I think . We were only asked if we wanted Smooth or Rough finish . Smooth being the Interior surface of the horn and Rough being the Exterior surface . I think an awful lot of the people got Lucky . There have been some amazing Ramshorn covers shown . I would really like to get a GEC 72 , 73 , 74 , 83 , 85 , or 47 with Exterior Ramshorn and Steel Liners and Pins .

Harry

That's a cover material I'd really like to see on GECs as well, especially the 85.

I wouldn't hold your breath, though. Bill was talking about the differences between horn and antler, and made it sound like horn materials aren't worth the trouble.

That's a cover material I'd really like to see on GECs as well, especially the 85.

I wouldn't hold your breath, though. Bill was talking about the differences between horn and antler, and made it sound like horn materials aren't worth the trouble.
It is his business to run as he chooses and he basically can sell everything he makes and I respect him for that . But as you know , there are a lot of companies who have put the Processes in place to work with the Horn materials . We can only hope Colin .

Harry

It is his business to run as he chooses and he basically can sell everything he makes and I respect him for that . But as you know , there are a lot of companies who have put the Processes in place to work with the Horn materials . We can only hope Colin .

Harry

This is true! Far be it from me to criticize Bill, he knows what he's doing and people have obviously responded.

I've always heard of ram's horn as "nature's micarta", so I figured that would be pretty good and stable.

Buffalo horn, I tend to steer away from. All of the buff knives I've had from GEC have had some degree of movement in the material, so I understand them discontinuing that cover option.

Smashing Dylan! :) :thumbsup:

Cool pic of your forum knife my friend, you got a nice one, and it's looking good :thumbsup:

I'm carrying this Taylor's Eye Witness today :) :thumbsup:

The Clarion Ramblers handbooks were a find while I was in Sheffield, very collectable, and in mint condition :) I thought they were facsimiles at first! :D

The stag in that 66 is nice!

And the stag on your jack is pretty swe t too.

Thanks, guys! They make for a fantastic pair. But like with any new and pretty knife and the trepidation that comes with it, I haven't subjected the 66 to anything more strenuous than riding in my watch pocket quite yet. At some point I will just need to break the ice and cut something with it. ;)

Back