What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

On-topic: I continue to carry the #68 Pony Jack pictured herein every day. :)

My apologies for the delay, but here I am (have I mentioned recently how much I love the new software feature that sends alerts when one has been quoted? I would have missed this otherwise, as this thread zoops by).

Context, late 1800s Railyard Chest:
IMG_8223.jpg~original

(As first seen in a friend's store)

At home in the glare:
IMG_8392.jpg~original

IMG_8393.jpg~original

IMG_8394.jpg~original

IMG_8395.jpg~original

Discovered inside a drawer by the shop owners, and generously included with the chest, an exquisite gilt-edged, leather-bound notepad, 4 1/4" x 2 3/8":
IMG_8405.jpg~original

IMG_8406.jpg~original

As seen previously, its first entry is from 1903, in fountain pen script:
IMG_8389.jpg~original

This is the only page scribed such, but after a gap of around 3 years someone else (possibly EARL?!) evidently used it as more of a grab-and-go, penciled-in note pad, which is equally endearing. Many (most?) of the pages are still blank, but there are notes throughout, seldom on consecutive pages, including maintenance records, tallies, quick measurments/specs, etc.-- and a List that's my favorite of all (last)!

IMG_8407.jpg~original

IMG_8499.jpg~original

IMG_8502.jpg~original

IMG_8503.jpg~original

IMG_8504.jpg~original

IMG_8505.jpg~original

IMG_8506.jpg~original

IMG_8510.jpg~original

AND:
IMG_8509.jpg~original

~ P.

What wonderful history, Sarah! That notebook, with all the scriblings in it, is just icing on the cake! I have a handmade tool chest that looks to be similar size to yours. Nowhere near as old, and it sure takes up a lot of space in my shop, but I just had to have it. Thanks for sharing all the pics!

And now for something completely different. I pulled this bullet end jack out of the archives today. It literally begged me to be let out of its tube and carried. I’d forgotten what a handle little knife this is. It deserves far more pocket time than it gets.

KnKb0wlh.jpg

Much appreciated Dean !! You can't help but look dapper dressed in that ;) The president is a gem

Thanks, Gev! If you saw me in my jeans, you might retract that "dapper" description though. ;):) The Presidential is truly a gem though - very comfortable in hand and pocket.

My apologies for the delay, but here I am (have I mentioned recently how much I love the new software feature that sends alerts when one has been quoted? I would have missed this otherwise, as this thread zoops by).

IMG_8223.jpg~original

At home in the glare:
IMG_8392.jpg~original

IMG_8393.jpg~original

IMG_8394.jpg~original

IMG_8395.jpg~original

Discovered inside a drawer by the shop owners, and generously included with the chest, an exquisite gilt-edged, leather-bound notepad, 4 1/4" x 2 3/8":
IMG_8405.jpg~original

IMG_8406.jpg~original

IMG_8389.jpg~original

This is the only page scribed such, but after a gap of around 3 years someone else (possibly EARL?!) evidently used it as more of a grab-and-go, penciled-in note pad, which is equally endearing. Many (most?) of the pages are still blank, but there are notes throughout, seldom on consecutive pages, including maintenance records, tallies, quick measurments/specs, etc.-- and a List that's my favorite of all (last)!

IMG_8407.jpg~original

IMG_8499.jpg~original

IMG_8502.jpg~original

IMG_8503.jpg~original

IMG_8504.jpg~original

IMG_8505.jpg~original

IMG_8506.jpg~original

IMG_8510.jpg~original

AND:
IMG_8509.jpg~original

~ P.
No worries P, worth the wait. I enjoyed seeing the pages, esp. the one dated June 10/06 (as in 1906).

The box is intriguing. The lid appears to have vents, yet from the inside appears solid. Wonder what that's about.

IMG_8223.jpg~original

At home in the glare:
IMG_8392.jpg~original

IMG_8393.jpg~original

IMG_8394.jpg~original

IMG_8395.jpg~original

IMG_8405.jpg~original

IMG_8406.jpg~original

IMG_8389.jpg~original

IMG_8407.jpg~original

IMG_8499.jpg~original

IMG_8502.jpg~original

IMG_8503.jpg~original

IMG_8504.jpg~original

IMG_8505.jpg~original

IMG_8506.jpg~original

IMG_8510.jpg~original

AND:
IMG_8509.jpg~original

~ P.

What an amazing find!! Fascinating!

GWyhk4H.jpg

No worries P, worth the wait. I enjoyed seeing the pages, esp. the one dated June 10/06 (as in 1906).

The box is intriguing. The lid appears to have vents, yet from the inside appears solid. Wonder what that's about.
Drill bits!!

IMG_8223.jpg~original

At home in the glare:
IMG_8392.jpg~original

IMG_8393.jpg~original

IMG_8394.jpg~original

IMG_8395.jpg~original

IMG_8405.jpg~original

IMG_8406.jpg~original

IMG_8389.jpg~original

IMG_8407.jpg~original

IMG_8499.jpg~original

IMG_8502.jpg~original

IMG_8503.jpg~original

IMG_8504.jpg~original

IMG_8505.jpg~original

IMG_8506.jpg~original

IMG_8510.jpg~original

AND:
IMG_8509.jpg~original

~ P.

Sarah, this is awesome. Great find!

Well that's just a looker right there my friend:thumbsup: see if this looks familiar? I'm in the minimalist camp today while at home rehabing after knee surgery. A little back story here.

Both hamsco and I expressed interest in this wee Lil Carver. hamsco claimed first but sent me a pm saying if it didn't work out he'd let me know. Sure enough a pm came saying it was available at what he paid for it. Well it arrived yesterday and although a bit groggy after surgery I didn't notice the entire contents in the box. The Carver of course was in the box and I did happen to notice the cool Kodak film tin:cool: I pm'd back thanking hamsco for the tin and he mentioned a Zippo lighter was also included!!! I collect tins and lighters so the additional gifts amazed me:eek: I rushed out to my garage and in the box was an early model pristine lighter. Turns out the lighter is from his family's business!!! Very neat...THANK YOU MY FRIEND!!!

K1p3PY.jpg

With the gifts hamsco included:thumbsup::cool:
Rp8Rkj.jpg

Well that's just a looker right there my friend:thumbsup: see if this looks familiar? I'm in the minimalist camp today while at home rehabing after knee surgery. A little back story here.

Both hamsco and I expressed interest in this wee Lil Carver. hamsco claimed first but sent me a pm saying if it didn't work out he'd let me know. Sure enough a pm came saying it was available at what he paid for it. Well it arrived yesterday and although a bit groggy after surgery I didn't notice the entire contents in the box. The Carver of course was in the box and I did happen to notice the cool Kodak film tin:cool: I pm'd back thanking hamsco for the tin and he mentioned a Zippo lighter was also included!!! I collect tins and lighters so the additional gifts amazed me:eek: I rushed out to my garage and in the box was an early model pristine lighter. Turns out the lighter is from his family's business!!! Very neat...THANK YOU MY FRIEND!!!

With the gifts hamsco included:thumbsup::cool:
Rp8Rkj.jpg

Your Welcome. I think that those three make a good picture.

Alan, your #73 is about as good as it gets: great color and jigging, barehead, and the long pull centered below the swedge. I'm sorry I missed that one when new, it's a beaut.

Back