What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

33286785496_9691e68fd6_b_d.jpg

Hypnotic horn, lambertiana! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Today
37180814894_286411a43b_b.jpg
High-class horn, FBC!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Carrying these two today :thumbsup:

Captivating couple of knives, Old Timer! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: I mean, Old Timer and A. Wright. :D Heart-stopping horn on your lambsfoot, Jack! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup: (I'll probably sing a similar refrain each time you post that knife - so striking!)

Today in my pocket Bulldog barlow in rams horn.
29p2quu.jpg
Today I continue with Bulldog barlow, this time with sister in stag...

2q850s1.jpg
Your Bulldog Barlowswith their curved handles are beguiling, Pt-Luso! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Choosing a favorite must be difficult (I'm currently leaning toward the stag ;)).

Stunning stockman, Jeff! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nothing like burnt, acrid Office Coffee to start your week.

IMG_20171023_071133_2.jpg
That pair of knives will get your motor running, though, Shawn! :thumbsup::thumbsup: I've never been a coffee drinker, but I decided in September to try caffeine as a solution to falling asleep at my desk the past 2.5 years. I didn't want anything fancy, and I didn't want to give up my morning OJ, so for almost 2 months now I've been nuking my OJ and stirring in a heaping teaspoonful of Folger's instant crystals. I think it's helping a little with the fatigue, and I actually enjoy the taste! :rolleyes:

Let’s kick off the week with this old Robeson barlow...

jX2kLKr.jpg
"The kick is up ... and it's GOOD!!" :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::D

Thank you kind Sir!! Yes....peppers, cantaloupe, and tomatoes.:D Just had first night nippy spell :cool::thumbsup:
Admirable productivity, Gev! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Stop, look, and listen...
g8rViao.jpg
:D:D You're a one-stoplight town, Jer!! :thumbsup::cool:

Today is another day in blue jeans and carrying my Presidential.

Always a joy to see that one, Dean! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: (Kind of political, though. ;):D)

Had this Northfield 550113 in my pocket today .
Had to use it to open the package that contained these

Harry
Harry, were you ever a boxer? You set me up with jabs from that superb stag 55, then knocked me out with the twin Wrights! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks pal, nice to see that old Sheffield Ring-OPener again :) :thumbsup:
Jack, it's a wonderful knife; thanks!!

Carried, and used, this Queencut jack all day. It's one of the least expensive knives I have but the history is what makes it endearing. I picked it up for less than $15 but it came with issues. The blade was so bent that it would not close and the pivot very loose due to some prying abusing. I used a vice to straighten the blade and then peened the pivot to fix the wobble. After that it needed filing on the rivet which was now pronounced after the peening. After that I reprofiled the edge and it was ready for use. Quite a bit of work for a $15 knife but it was a great experience bringing back a knife which was destined for the boneyard made it a bit special.
rDRHi8H.jpg
Inspiring rescue story, tomsch! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Just got this old Camillus and is riding my pocket today
20171023_150907 by SteveC, on Flickr
Congrats on the captivating Camillus cattle knife, Steve!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Well that's just a looker right there my friend:thumbsup: see if this looks familiar? I'm in the minimalist camp today while at home rehabing after knee surgery. A little back story here.

Both hamsco and I expressed interest in this wee Lil Carver. hamsco claimed first but sent me a pm saying if it didn't work out he'd let me know. Sure enough a pm came saying it was available at what he paid for it. Well it arrived yesterday and although a bit groggy after surgery I didn't notice the entire contents in the box. The Carver of course was in the box and I did happen to notice the cool Kodak film tin:cool: I pm'd back thanking hamsco for the tin and he mentioned a Zippo lighter was also included!!! I collect tins and lighters so the additional gifts amazed me:eek: I rushed out to my garage and in the box was an early model pristine lighter. Turns out the lighter is from his family's business!!! Very neat...THANK YOU MY FRIEND!!!
...With the gifts hamsco included:thumbsup::cool:
Rp8Rkj.jpg
Congrats, Paul; that knife you just got is a looker, too!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
Nice surprise, hamsco!! :thumbsup::D:thumbsup:

My watch pocket knife this week is this Colonial (thanks, Dave):
2rrBfzx.jpg

My peanut-ish knife this week is a Case brown delrin peanut (thanks, Cory):
YM99LV1.jpg

My miscellaneous knife this week is a Zorro Barlow:
Uw5gptZ.jpg

- GT

Well that's just a looker right there my friend:thumbsup: see if this looks familiar? I'm in the minimalist camp today while at home rehabing after knee surgery. A little back story here.

Both hamsco and I expressed interest in this wee Lil Carver. hamsco claimed first but sent me a pm saying if it didn't work out he'd let me know. Sure enough a pm came saying it was available at what he paid for it. Well it arrived yesterday and although a bit groggy after surgery I didn't notice the entire contents in the box. The Carver of course was in the box and I did happen to notice the cool Kodak film tin:cool: I pm'd back thanking hamsco for the tin and he mentioned a Zippo lighter was also included!!! I collect tins and lighters so the additional gifts amazed me:eek: I rushed out to my garage and in the box was an early model pristine lighter. Turns out the lighter is from his family's business!!! Very neat...THANK YOU MY FRIEND!!!

K1p3PY.jpg

With the gifts hamsco included:thumbsup::cool:
Rp8Rkj.jpg

That little bulldog of a knife made me smile. :)

Alan, your #73 is about as good as it gets: great color and jigging, barehead, and the long pull centered below the swedge. I'm sorry I missed that one when new, it's a beaut.
Thanks Jeff. I've got a couple of real nice stag 73s, but to be honest this jigged bone one is the best. You missed one other aspect I like, the match strike nail nick. It also develops a beautiful grey patina.

GT: OJ mixed with Instant Coffee sounds repugnant, honestly. I've never tried it, though, and my mother has had a glass of OJ before drinking her two cups of coffee every morning for the last 30 years; maybe there's something to it? o_O

Thanks for the comment on the knives. That little caplifter of yours is sweet, and I always get a kick out of those acrylic comic book Barlows.

Hectic morning so far, but I managed to snap a shot and then toss these into my pockets before heading out the door for the day.

waV15Ys.jpg

Nice pairing Dylan :thumbsup: Red and black are the colours of Sheffield Amateur Football Club, the oldest (soccer) football club in the world ;) :thumbsup:

What an amazing find!! Fascinating!

GWyhk4H.jpg

Cool pic Donn :cool: :thumbsup:

K1p3PY.jpg

With the gifts hamsco included:thumbsup::cool:
Rp8Rkj.jpg

Hope you heal fast Paul :thumbsup: I love your Lil Carver :) Nice work @hamsco (great-looking Ancient BTW) :thumbsup:

Carrying one of my new A. Wright Lambfoot knives today .

Harry

Very nice Harry :)

Captivating couple of knives, Old Timer! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: I mean, Old Timer and A. Wright. :D Heart-stopping horn on your lambsfoot, Jack! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup: (I'll probably sing a similar refrain each time you post that knife - so striking!)

Your Bulldog Barlowswith their curved handles are beguiling, Pt-Luso! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Choosing a favorite must be difficult (I'm currently leaning toward the stag ;)).

Stunning stockman, Jeff! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

That pair of knives will get your motor running, though, Shawn! :thumbsup::thumbsup: I've never been a coffee drinker, but I decided in September to try caffeine as a solution to falling asleep at my desk the past 2.5 years. I didn't want anything fancy, and I didn't want to give up my morning OJ, so for almost 2 months now I've been nuking my OJ and stirring in a heaping teaspoonful of Folger's instant crystals. I think it's helping a little with the fatigue, and I actually enjoy the taste! :rolleyes:

"The kick is up ... and it's GOOD!!" :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::D

Admirable productivity, Gev! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:D:D You're a one-stoplight town, Jer!! :thumbsup::cool:

Always a joy to see that one, Dean! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: (Kind of political, though. ;):D)

Harry, were you ever a boxer? You set me up with jabs from that superb stag 55, then knocked me out with the twin Wrights! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Jack, it's a wonderful knife; thanks!!

Inspiring rescue story, tomsch! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Congrats on the captivating Camillus cattle knife, Steve!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Congrats, Paul; that knife you just got is a looker, too!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
Nice surprise, hamsco!! :thumbsup::D:thumbsup:

My watch pocket knife this week is this Colonial (thanks, Dave):
2rrBfzx.jpg

My peanut-ish knife this week is a Case brown delrin peanut (thanks, Cory):
YM99LV1.jpg

My miscellaneous knife this week is a Zorro Barlow:
Uw5gptZ.jpg

- GT

Thanks a lot GT, that's a great-looking Peanut, and seeing your Zorro Barlow always gives me a kick, I must seek one out sometime :) :thumbsup:

These two for me today :)

What wonderful history, Sarah! That notebook, with all the scriblings in it, is just icing on the cake! I have a handmade tool chest that looks to be similar size to yours. Nowhere near as old, and it sure takes up a lot of space in my shop, but I just had to have it. Thanks for sharing all the pics!

You're welcome! I'm really, really wowed by this beat up ol' chest, all the history of actual hard use written right into it. It looks to have had at least two different sets of hinges, and possibly 3-4 locks over the course of its active life.

Roughly 32" x 15" x 16" high (on metal casters):
IMG_8390.jpg~original

IMG_8391.jpg~original

No worries P, worth the wait. I enjoyed seeing the pages, esp. the one dated June 10/06 (as in 1906).

The box is intriguing. The lid appears to have vents, yet from the inside appears solid. Wonder what that's about.

I wonder too!

Maybe just slots to put drill pieces in or something similar?

Drill bits!!

The top sports hand-routed channels of what looks to be very specifically designated lengths.

IMG_8310.jpg~original

The purveyors guessed that the slots were used to hold some kind of rack atop, but I don't think that's it-- although if you note the more distressed edges of the lid vs. the center area in the first picture above, it does look like something sat atop it for a good amount of time?

"Drill bits" may be the thing; I have compiled a series of images to send to a railway historian (friend of a friend) for further input.

IMG_8399.jpg~original

I can't wait to hear his musings, regarding the chest, notepad entries, etc.!

Scant picture I'm afraid due to lack of daylight. But I'm really enthusiastic about this Cougar Claw Churchill that arrived today

sDluCO6.jpg

We're still just so glad you learned to post pictures at all, yea these many years later. Remember when you used to have to try and describe your knives?! "Mine's green." o_O

Pony Jack, my first knife in ebony and I'm really liking it!!!
DNoi0QZ.jpg

There ya go. :thumbsup:

~ P.

Back