What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Sounds like a good day, Jack; fine shot of your Guardians Lambsfoot! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: I had the same reaction as Peregrin when I read what you saw. One of the most lasting impressions of my first trip to Europe (to Spain to visit my daughter 3 years ago) was how old "civilization" in Europe is, compared to "civilization" in North America! :eek::cool::cool:

Wife, daughter, and I picked out and cut down a Christmas tree at a tree farm yesterday. Got home and put it up, started dragging out some holiday decorations, and listened to some seasonal music, including "While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks By Night". That song inspired this photo of the lambsfoot knives I've had near at hand this week.
SS1gGnF.jpg

- GT

Thanks GT, all the things I mentioned there were within a 5 minute walk of each other! :D Most folk probably don't value the history here enough, hard to believe they were planning to demolish that Manor House isn't it?! :eek:o_O

That is a fantastic photo my friend, hope you're going to post it in the Lambsfoot thread :) The schooboy version of that song here went 'While shepherds washed their socks by night...' When I was a young lad, the headmaster would lead us in a chorus 'to get it out of our systems'! :D :thumbsup:

The Manor House is exquisite !! Great picture of it with the shadows ! Thanks for the treat of the additional pictures!! I can see you now..doing Standing Like a Tree qi gong on the grass of the remains of the Roman Fort. The feathers in you lambsfoot is smashing !

Thanks Gev, I must have got lucky. There's a far more impressive old hall up on the hillside above. Here's a filched image as it was partly obscured by trees from below yesterday :thumbsup:

Copper Mercator and Schrade 12OT USA.

View attachment 803909

Nice pairing :thumbsup:

Beautiful bocote buster, Tom, and Ron, that's a very handsome pair!

Thanks Jeff!

Nice Sodbuster Tom :) Goes well with your Beer Scout :thumbsup:

Much appreciated Jack!

That is a neat looking sodbuster. How do you like it?

It has been 2 days, but I like it a lot so far. D2 is a good steel for edge retention, it has great ergonomics (for me) and it has a solid backspring. Nothing really to complain about other than it was a little gritty on closing initially, but that was easily resolved.

Thanks a lot GT, it was a cold, bright day here, had a nice walk, with lots of history along the way (including Anglo Saxon crosses, Roman altars, the remains of a Roman fort, a 17th century Manor House, and a medieval church) :) Carrying my Guardians Lambsfoot today (again ;) ), shown here next to the beautiful 17th century packhorse bridge over the River Wharfe at Ilkley. Have a relaxing Sunday folks :thumbsup:

View attachment 803727

Great shot Jack, love the way you captured the sunlight off the water.

That bocote Maserin Plow looks fantastic on your rocks, Tom; impressive pair of knives!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Wife, daughter, and I picked out and cut down a Christmas tree at a tree farm yesterday. Got home and put it up, started dragging out some holiday decorations, and listened to some seasonal music, including "While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks By Night". That song inspired this photo of the lambsfoot knives I've had near at hand this week.
SS1gGnF.jpg

- GT

Thanks GT, terrific trio you have there!

Day 3 with the plow sodbuster, paired with a Winchester scout.

[url=https://postimg.org/image/o6rmr8j35/][/URL]

I am carrying T.R. with me today (and mistakenly posted him on the Let's See Some Stag thread). All's well now (though Peregrin Peregrin kindly "liked" my post before I moved it). A 1975 Schrade Teddy Roosevelt commemorative stockman in white saw-cut Delrin (serial no. 10248).
Oops! I could have moved it had I noticed. Nice knife though!

@5K Qs Thanks for the comment on this Primble. It's an India steel works Primble which in my opinion were the best of the Primbles. Action like a custom and takes a ridiculously sharp edge. Needless to say but it's my favorite of my small barlow collection.
XvMKtObl.jpg

Last edited:
Great shot Jack, love the way you captured the sunlight off the water.

Thanks Tom, I actually didn't have any choice about the sun! :D Yet another outstanding pairing my friend :) :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black I, too, appreciate your photographs and trekking notes. It is a gift to those of us who aren't able to join you "in real time".
- Stuart

Thanks a lot Stuart, that's very kind :) :thumbsup:

@5K Qs Thanks for the comment on this Primble. It's an India steel works Primble which in my opinion were the best of the Primbles. Action like a custom and takes a ridiculously sharp edge. Needless to say but it's my favorite of my small barlow collection.
XvMKtObl.jpg

Beautiful :thumbsup:

Today with my French (whale) in my pocket!!!

f3dwdv.jpg
25u15ok.jpg
2eojoqw.jpg

That is a very cool-looking knife :) :thumbsup:

Carrying these two when I head over to Sheffield in the morning :thumbsup:

Nice combination Ron :thumbsup:
Thanks Jack.:)

There will never be an equal to that old case red bone!
Clay I’m afraid your right about that! But we can always hope!;)

Phenomenal covers on those two, Ron; talk of the town!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:;)

Black and Red Classics, Ron!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

SS1gGnF.jpg

Thanks Gary! The AW’s appear to have found some friends! :thumbsup: Looking good my friend!:D

Was rooting about in my stored knives section today to check if all is well. You never know with rust, it can't be trusted... All was mostly OK and I found this German made Russel Barlow which I'd actually forgotten about:eek: Carbon blades and liners, steel bolster nicely stamped. It has epic snap:cool: yet reasonable pull, tight without gaps. Wish I'd got more of these before they vanished as they're really decently made. It will be my carry on your tomorrow which is my today:D

IMG_3022.jpg~original

I have had these two with me the last couple of days. Didn't put them to work on anything but took them to the local gun show on Sat. Just around the house here on Sunday but a great time for a quick picture or two. The Northwoods I got recently off the exchange from one of our great forum members. I carried it in a slip and the 23 just riding free in the pocket.

Burnt Stag

mRX3Ygs.jpg

yXopwcC.jpg

I have had these two with me the last couple of days. Didn't put them to work on anything but took them to the local gun show on Sat. Just around the house here on Sunday but a great time for a quick picture or two. The Northwoods I got recently off the exchange from one of our great forum members. I carried it in a slip and the 23 just riding free in the pocket.

Burnt Stag

mRX3Ygs.jpg

yXopwcC.jpg
Nice knives, nice photos.

Was rooting about in my stored knives section today to check if all is well. You never know with rust, it can't be trusted... All was mostly OK and I found this German made Russel Barlow which I'd actually forgotten about:eek: Carbon blades and liners, steel bolster nicely stamped. It has epic snap:cool: yet reasonable pull, tight without gaps. Wish I'd got more of these before they vanished as they're really decently made. It will be my carry on your tomorrow which is my today:D

IMG_3022.jpg~original
Nice bolster stamp, and I love that charred looking bone! :cool::thumbsup:

Back