What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Was rooting about in my stored knives section today to check if all is well. You never know with rust, it can't be trusted... All was mostly OK and I found this German made Russel Barlow which I'd actually forgotten about:eek: Carbon blades and liners, steel bolster nicely stamped. It has epic snap:cool: yet reasonable pull, tight without gaps. Wish I'd got more of these before they vanished as they're really decently made. It will be my carry on your tomorrow which is my today:D

IMG_3022.jpg~original

Wow, Will, that's a beautiful Barlow. Congrats on becoming reacquainted with it. I hope it'll be making more appearances here.

I decided to brighten my day by putting a little glitter in my pockets with some abalone and mother-of-pearl. When I meet my pals this afternoon at our watering hole, I may have to order a Martini (with gin and shaken) after I pull these out.

ajgTSES.jpg

Kz5Janv.jpg

- Stuart
(Oh, I have a sodbuster, jr in case I actually have to cut something gnarly.)

@5K Qs Thanks for the comment on this Primble. It's an India steel works Primble which in my opinion were the best of the Primbles. Action like a custom and takes a ridiculously sharp edge. Needless to say but it's my favorite of my small barlow collection.
XvMKtObl.jpg

Was rooting about in my stored knives section today to check if all is well. You never know with rust, it can't be trusted... All was mostly OK and I found this German made Russel Barlow which I'd actually forgotten about:eek: Carbon blades and liners, steel bolster nicely stamped. It has epic snap:cool: yet reasonable pull, tight without gaps. Wish I'd got more of these before they vanished as they're really decently made. It will be my carry on your tomorrow which is my today:D

IMG_3022.jpg~original

A couple of beautiful Barlows !

I never would’ve guessed it when I pre-ordered it, but this Churchill has pretty much replaced my beloved Barlows & stockmans for every day carry since it came. That's saying something, since I've been carrying a Barlow since the 1950's & a stockman since the 1970's.

That's compelling. It's an ideal blade array, and a really pocket friendly knife. I love single spring pens. How's that maroon linen in person? I need to sharpen my ebony and stick it in my pocket, I've just been carrying this moose since I got it. Seems appropriate to carry a modified moose on Monday.

24808981178_3e439c77f8_c.jpg

That Plow looks good, how do you like it? Is the edge ground thin? How is the action, fit, & finish?

Hi lambertiana - I like it a lot, and yes the edge is nice and thin. Fit and finish is about what you’d expect from this price point, in that there are gaps and some sharp edges on the liners and back spring. When it arrived it was gritty when closing, and there were some metal shavings in the pivot. I flushed it out with some Remoil and that helped; I also used the corners of Sharpmaker ultra fine stone to take down a few of the sharp edges. That took about 5 minutes of time and now it is pretty smooth.

In fact I am carrying it again today :).

[url=https://postimg.org/image/ndxjywnut/][/URL]

My new favorite. I bought this on the spur of the moment when Glenn @glennbad posted it a couple of weeks ago in a sale for Bob's grandson. I'd never owned a canoe even though it's an attractive pattern. It's become my edc and now I own several more. This particular one by Queen City has a little blade rub which seems to be endemic to a two blade single back spring knife. But since it patina'd easily that's immaterial. It sharpened up easily and I can only say don't buy them (more for me) hahaha!
image.jpeg

Back