What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

isQLuDW.jpg

Good morning, all! I don't tend to spend too much time on the forums over the weekends other than a cursory check-in now and then so usually Mondays are my catch up day. Lots of gorgeous knives being carried the last few days!

I hope everyone is having an ok Holiday season so far, I have surprised myself this year and have actually completed all my required shopping already. That never happens....

I'm carrying these two today, Guardians Lambsfoot and an Albert Oates Senator :) Have a good week folks :thumbsup:

That is a great pic of your Guardians Lambsfoot, Jack! The Senator is certainly no slouch either, always nice to see the beauties in your collection.

Red Soup Bone always warrants a compliment from me. Fantastic knife in a great picture!

Cool reflection makes the queen look as if she is drooling over my main squeeze. :)

TCandcoins.jpg

I am particularly fond of good honest patinas and I personally thing the TCs wear it quite well. Terrific picture of a not so common knife!

Glad you are getting some use out of that GT :thumbsup:, looks like a pretty good slicer in the kitchen.

For me today, city knife with a radio jack.

I like the looks of that Radio Jack, Tom! I was in the company of some buddies last night and fine ales usually tend to be present at such gatherings. I usually carry a caplifter of sorts in my bag and/or on my key ring but I had neither last night :eek:! So I think that qualifies as a great excuse for me to look at getting one of the caplifter jacks that are still somewhat available, though my wife might not agree... :D Regardless, fantastic duo you have today.

Received my new 14 over the weekend and I have had it pocketed since. I am actually surprised how much I like this little knife. I will provide some more thoughts on it in a different thread but I figured I would drop these two here, they make for a handsome pair, I think.

mfzOvQ9.jpg

8575F414-A37F-457B-84A5-DA8F7DE020DE.jpeg First day home after 10 days visiting the mouse in Florida. And he has ALL my money now. Working on washing clothes and cleaning up today inside. Ugly rainy day outside. These two helping me out (which, incidentally, is exactly what I was carrying the week before I left).

Very nice knives posted in the past couple of days, a lot of catching up on my part. Today, I am armed with two knives of same size (3 1/4" closed), same blade types (spear and pen), and similar vintages. A Cattaraugus Cutlery (Little Valley, NY) equal end sleeveboard from 1886-1963 (?) and a Valley Forge Cutlery (Newark, NJ) jack with a creamy white celluloid that look like smooth plain bone. Valley Forge was in business 1916-1950 and owned by Boker USA (J.R. Boker was its president as of 1920).

J0grCIj.jpg

RXcCe9n.jpg

I tried to get a good picture of the spring backs to show the slimness of the single spring Cattaraugus, but the lighting never worked well, despite some support from my EDC Imperial Barlow.

Aoi6xUx.jpg

- Stuart

I like the looks of that Radio Jack, Tom! I was in the company of some buddies last night and fine ales usually tend to be present at such gatherings. I usually carry a caplifter of sorts in my bag and/or on my key ring but I had neither last night :eek:! So I think that qualifies as a great excuse for me to look at getting one of the caplifter jacks that are still somewhat available, though my wife might not agree... :D Regardless, fantastic duo you have today.

Received my new 14 over the weekend and I have had it pocketed since. I am actually surprised how much I like this little knife. I will provide some more thoughts on it in a different thread but I figured I would drop these two here, they make for a handsome pair, I think.

mfzOvQ9.jpg

Thanks Dylan! I usually carry a knife with a bottle opener and use it for all kinds of tasks in addition to opening fine ales; screwdriver, light use prybar, staple remover, etc. Maybe explain to the Mrs. that you are looking for a "multi tool", not a knife :).

A very handsome pairing today :thumbsup:

View attachment 815810 First day home after 10 days visiting the mouse in Florida. And he has ALL my money now. Working on washing clothes and cleaning up today inside. Ugly rainy day outside. These two helping me out (which, incidentally, is exactly what I was carrying the week before I left).

Great looking fixed blade :thumbsup:, who made that?

I think your canoe is a sibling, not a cousin, Stuart! :thumbsup::cool:;) Do you know much about it? I've seen something on Pinterest suggesting that AG Russell recalls that Böker made them for him before 1974, and I saw an AAPK sale claiming they were made in 1969-70; can you confirm any of that? That 2OT MUST be the inspiration for a variation of the GEC #77, right?

GT, I do not know much (yet) about that canoe; you provided more background than I knew. The 2OT was the first (or one of the first) Old Timers ever produced. There is much discussion about its origins in the Schrade subforum. It came out in 1959 but not marketed until 1960 or cataloged until 1961 (or so I understand from those discussions). 13,000 or less were produced and they seem to be quite elusive (as is the 3OT). It was discussed at the time as being a Barlow variation for Schrade (post the Ulster association) to expand/update their offerings. The unique bolsters, particularly the bottom bolster, set it apart from "regular" Barlows. I do not know the influence it may have had on the GEC #77, as I know very little about the GECs, other than what I learn from the Porch. I do like the looks of the #77, so I guess that I better get one soon (though I am not one much for patina care - my Opinels are enough).
- Stuart

Back