What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

It seems that every time I post a photo of it someone gets a gift, plus one disappeared during a move. Non-knife people love them.
Me, too, Alan. ;) One of these days I need to start a thread defending the honor of "disreputable" French Kate!

Thanks my friend :) I'm a fan of a spicy sauce (Tabasco and others) myself, but Henderson's isn't 'spicy' in that sense at all, maybe 100 years ago the word meant something different here - or they just couldn't get hold of good chillis in Sheffield! :D Think of it like comparing a robust Zinfandel to a Sancerre, both good, just in different ways :thumbsup:

Your yeller Case knives look good together :) :thumbsup:

I'm carrying these two today, Guardians Lambsfoot and an Albert Oates Senator :) Have a good week folks :thumbsup:

Jack, I have to confess that your wine analogies are lost on a Philistine like me! :rolleyes: Thanks for the Case comment, and you have your usual commendable choices!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

View attachment 815682 Carrying light today. Really like these #25 Barlows.
That's a dazzling WLST, Jon!! :cool::thumbsup:

Schrade Cut Co Walden:
0zJFKac.jpg
Yowza!! :cool::thumbsup::cool: Carrying that one must make you stand a little taller, Jer; exceptional!

Think I'm gonna stick with these through the holidays.
View attachment 815708
That should help make the holidays happy times, Jason! :thumbsup::D

Another fabulous old Barlow, Steve! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I don't think I've ever seen a Western knife in person.

Glad you are getting some use out of that GT :thumbsup:, looks like a pretty good slicer in the kitchen.

For me today, city knife with a radio jack.

That's a gallant, good-looking pair, Tom! :thumbsup::cool: Thanks for the Case slimline trapper comment; it's definitely earning its keep in the kitchen! ;)

Received my new 14 over the weekend and I have had it pocketed since. I am actually surprised how much I like this little knife. I will provide some more thoughts on it in a different thread but I figured I would drop these two here, they make for a handsome pair, I think.

mfzOvQ9.jpg
What a hypnotic duo, Dylan, and a heck of a shot! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

View attachment 815810 First day home after 10 days visiting the mouse in Florida. And he has ALL my money now. Working on washing clothes and cleaning up today inside. Ugly rainy day outside. These two helping me out (which, incidentally, is exactly what I was carrying the week before I left).
I hope a good time was had by all at D-World; glad you made it back safely! :thumbsup::cool::)

Keeping it simple for a Monday.
Churchill and a cadet.

I'm not usually a fan of cigar patterns, but the Churchill is growing on me a bit.

jYz27l0.jpg
Two inviting cigars there, snb!! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Very nice knives posted in the past couple of days, a lot of catching up on my part. Today, I am armed with two knives of same size (3 1/4" closed), same blade types (spear and pen), and similar vintages. A Cattaraugus Cutlery (Little Valley, NY) equal end sleeveboard from 1886-1963 (?) and a Valley Forge Cutlery (Newark, NJ) jack with a creamy white celluloid that look like smooth plain bone. Valley Forge was in business 1916-1950 and owned by Boker USA (J.R. Boker was its president as of 1920).

J0grCIj.jpg

- Stuart
I like the bird's eye pivots on the VF, but that Catt sleeveboard pen is a real jaw-dropper!! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Ye Olde and Greatest of the great... GEC #66 Serpentine Jack

Just like old times, Andi! :cool::thumbsup:

That Ulster is a knockout, Gev!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

GT, I do not know much (yet) about that canoe; you provided more background than I knew. The 2OT was the first (or one of the first) Old Timers ever produced. ... I do not know the influence it may have had on the GEC #77, as I know very little about the GECs, other than what I learn from the Porch. ...
- Stuart
Well, glad I could help with the Mohawk canoe, Stuart. I enjoyed the details about the 2OTs. Here's a GEC stock photo of a #77 Yankee Jack model that I think owes a lot to the 2OT:
771214ec-autumn-gold-smooth-bone.jpg

Finishing out the year with a 94ot

View attachment 815899
Classic trapper!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

That's a handsome pair, indeed!
As I mentioned in the #35Churchill thread, I've got one on the way. Today I was daydreaming about what knives would pair well with it (as I am wont to do) and the #14 in ebony was one of the top choices. Your picture only confirms our good taste in knives! :D:thumbsup:
Congrats on your incoming ebony Churchill, r8shell! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I thought seriously about making that my first purchase of a brand-new GEC, but decided I'd much prefer a knife like that with a spear main. (Anyone know a model like that?)

Mail call !
Mn2baJ0.jpg
Congrats, TheFactor!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

After some partying last night, I was glad of my morning coffee :thumbsup:

I hope you're not staggering with that luxurious stag, Jack!! :D:thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

... A 12 blade medium congress from 1985 by Fight'n Rooster (Frank Buster) with mother of pearl covers. ... 3 5/8" closed, 3/4" across the back.

W8tORlE.jpg

Better carry some Band Aids, too.
- Stuart
Holy Rooster, Stuart, that is a Fistful of Blades!!! :eek::cool::thumbsup:

Today I'm driving from Arizona back home to Arkansas for Christmas. The wife and kiddo took a flight this morning, so it's just me, the dog and a pickup truck. Sounds like a country song. :D

I've got this little #25 keeping me company, too.

CPepfbP.jpg

I hope you have a safe and enchanting trip, Barrett, and a joyful holiday with family! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

In the Light of Miracles

39132009862_350a8cb389_b.jpg
Marvelous photo, knife, and menorah, Gev!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

John Lloyd Lanny's Clip and Queen City Canoe.
View attachment 816270
Notable pair, Alan; the QC canoe grabs my attention! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

An old favorite is in my pocket today:

7ByaVo5h.jpg

Schrade USA 34OT.
Outstanding, Greg! :cool::thumbsup::cool: I think that's the first knife I recall seeing in some of your whittling photos! ;)

Big Knife of the Week is a Marbles ram's horn pruner:
Jk382jA.jpg

At the other end of the size spectrum, my Peanutish Knife of the Week is a Chinese 18OT:
RAB305N.jpg

I'm also carrying a knife my daughter gave me for my birthday this morning. I sure am happy she thought I just might like a knife. :D
lag.mark.open.jpg
lag.pile.closed.jpg

- GT

Me, too, Alan. ;) One of these days I need to start a thread defending the honor of "disreputable" French Kate!

Jack, I have to confess that your wine analogies are lost on a Philistine like me! :rolleyes: Thanks for the Case comment, and you have your usual commendable choices!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yowza!! :cool::thumbsup::cool: Carrying that one must make you stand a little taller, Jer; exceptional!

Another fabulous old Barlow, Steve! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I don't think I've ever seen a Western knife in person.

That's a gallant, good-looking pair, Tom! :thumbsup::cool: Thanks for the Case slimline trapper comment; it's definitely earning its keep in the kitchen! ;)

What a hypnotic duo, Dylan, and a heck of a shot! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

I hope a good time was had by all at D-World; glad you made it back safely! :thumbsup::cool::)

I like the bird's eye pivots on the VF, but that Catt sleeveboard pen is a real jaw-dropper!! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Well, glad I could help with the Mohawk canoe, Stuart. I enjoyed the details about the 2OTs. Here's a GEC stock photo of a #77 Yankee Jack model that I think owes a lot to the 2OT:
View attachment 816322

Congrats on your incoming ebony Churchill, r8shell! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I thought seriously about making that my first purchase of a brand-new GEC, but decided I'd much prefer a knife like that with a spear main. (Anyone know a model like that?)

I hope you're not staggering with that luxurious stag, Jack!! :D:thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I hope you have a safe and enchanting trip, Barrett, and a joyful holiday with family! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Outstanding, Greg! :cool::thumbsup::cool: I think that's the first knife I recall seeing in some of your whittling photos! ;)

Jk382jA.jpg

At the other end of the size spectrum, my Peanutish Knife of the Week is a Chinese 18OT:
RAB305N.jpg

I'm also carrying a knife my daughter gave me for my birthday this morning. I sure am happy she thought I just might like a knife. :D
View attachment 816329
View attachment 816330

- GT

Happy Birthday GT, and many happy returns to you my friend :) :thumbsup:

There has been more than one attempt to rehabilitate Kate over the years! :D ;)

Sorry, I thought you would be celebrating Saturnalia in Bacchanalian fashion! ;) :D Thank you for the compliments :) I wouldn't say tripping exactly, but I was definitely lighter on my feet last night! :D :thumbsup: What a thoughtful daughter you have :) :thumbsup:

The #77 is a quarter inch longer and has one more pin, but they are sure very alike. Thanks for the exposure. Boy, your daughter hit a home run for your B'day (belated congrats).
- Stuart

View attachment 816322

Jk382jA.jpg

RAB305N.jpg

View attachment 816329
View attachment 816330

- GT
Thank you kindly Gary !! I agree, your daughter hit a home run with that beauty !!! Happy Birthday and many more!!!!!

Btw something is different in this picture, but I don't think I need to say what it is.

Other than the phenolic resin handle of the Buck Special in an otherwise wooden tableau, you don't see a lot of D.H. Russell lockblades around, with jimping on the blade back, no less. But, I think the left-handed sheath is the "something", n'est pas?
- Stuart

Other than the phenolic resin handle of the Buck Special in an otherwise wooden tableau, you don't see a lot of D.H. Russell lockblades around, with jimping on the blade back, no less. But, I think the left-handed sheath is the "something", n'est pas?
- Stuart

Yep it's the left handed sheath.
But now that you mention it the phenolic and micarta is out of place next to rosewood and ebony.
Btw as far as I knew all of the Grohmann mini Russel lockbacks had gimping ? I never looked but do the larger ones not have gimping ?

GT, I do not know much (yet) about that canoe; you provided more background than I knew. The 2OT was the first (or one of the first) Old Timers ever produced. There is much discussion about its origins in the Schrade subforum. It came out in 1959 but not marketed until 1960 or cataloged until 1961 (or so I understand from those discussions). 13,000 or less were produced and they seem to be quite elusive (as is the 3OT). It was discussed at the time as being a Barlow variation for Schrade (post the Ulster association) to expand/update their offerings. The unique bolsters, particularly the bottom bolster, set it apart from "regular" Barlows. I do not know the influence it may have had on the GEC #77, as I know very little about the GECs, other than what I learn from the Porch. I do like the looks of the #77, so I guess that I better get one soon (though I am not one much for patina care - my Opinels are enough).
- Stuart

The 2OT was based off of earlier schrade cut co jacks, which were practically the same pattern. The cut co's are even more elusive than a 2OT.

You know, when cars and trucks become self driving, country songs can include your truck leaving you too!
Someone should start writing those songs.
It's a beauty, isn't it? I've brought it upstairs so it will get into my pocket more often.

Today, Western stockman and Guardian lambsfoot.
ExW1zFc.jpg

View attachment 816322

Jk382jA.jpg

RAB305N.jpg

View attachment 816329
View attachment 816330

- GT
Cool knife! Happy B-day:thumbsup:

I really like this #38. The jigging looks so worn and the color is perfect.

View attachment 816163
Thank you! These are wonderful knives! I think Will describes it extremely well in his post below!:)

Great choice and the choice of a Gent.:cool:

Actually, this pattern is like a Gent's work knife: slim single spring with two VERY useful blades, all steel construction to a very high calibre and unusual elegance too.

I hope you get time to relax and enjoy your Christmas & New Year my friend.:):thumbsup:

Regards, Will
Will, thank you my friend for the kind words and wishes! I wish the same for you sir! :) Your description of the 38 Farmers Jack is spot on!:thumbsup: I expect it would be because of your personal use of and familiarity with these fine knives!:cool::)

Today I’m Totin another that I am growing quite fond of! ;) The 35 Churchill in Sambar Stag!:D
38500269191_0f6f08f816_b_d.jpg

Back