What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

This one: whiggling, lock play, a moving center pin - and I love it :cool: ! Definetly one of my favourite ones
dscf2766.jpg

Great knife, Dirk! :thumbsup::thumbsup: I have one just like it, except it's solid as a rock so far. :cool: I'm carrying it this week, too; see below. :)

This week’s pair was my Case Red Etch Peanut and GEC 78 in Dark Chestnut.
View attachment 831057 View attachment 831058
Admirable pair, Ratbert, iPhone scratch or not!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

...I have been hitting the like button to much and not expressing myself enough lately. I'm on the mend now and almost to the hump in the middle :thumbsup: Good Lord willing
I hope you're 100% ASAP, Gev!! :thumbsup::cool::cool: (But don't overdo it and set your recovery back! :eek:)

Some Ebony for Wooden Wednesday and a Stag Stowaway! :D
39043276604_4490821783_b_d.jpg
What a jaw-dropping pair, Ron! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: (IF I had gotten TWO Churchills, I think those would have been my selections. ;) IF I'd only gotten one, I'd probably STILL be debating which to choose. :confused::eek::rolleyes: I'll just wait for the "spear main" version of the Churchill in ebony, I guess! :D)

Still this one! 7/8oz/24 grams. Slightly more than half the weight of a Peanut :D

View attachment 831314
Still impressed with the edges you put on those blades, Heath!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: A less-than-accomplished sharpener like me really appreciates those wide bevels! ;)

How could I have forgotten about that stag beauty??? :confused::eek: Thanks for sharing a photo, FBC! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Got some good health news for my Son this morning so we went out to celebrate. Had his Peanut, like always, along with this Stag 72 and HAD to grab a shot in the snow as the truck thawed out.

View attachment 831405
(Fingerprint is from P.O...wouldnt polish off when I got it, will have to scrub harder I guess)

GREAT day with some great knives.

Matt
Congrats on the stunning pair of knives (lovely covers on each), but special congrats on the good news for your son on the health front!! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Was CF and CE my Lannys Clips today
B2A41687-00F3-42F8-8925-7F14BED801D9_zpshhw5munr.jpeg
Drew, those are phenomenal! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Haven't had this beauty out in a while.
View attachment 831468
Wow, Alan, that's a striking and surprising stag Forum knife! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Are the covers on that "stock" or have some modifications taken place??

The cold weather has put some color in my cheeks, so I thought that I'd put some color in my pockets when I go out today (had to drag the dogs out of their cozy spots in front of the fire). A SharpCutter (1890-1950) doctor's knife with candy stripe celluloid covers and a Lander, Frary & Clark (1914-1930s) barehead jack with yellow imitation pearl covers.

fKy8l7l.jpg

- Stuart
That's a venerable vintage pair, Stuart! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Fully on with Life
39731506232_3034b522d6_b.jpg
W:eek:W, Gev, that's a humdinger!!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Fantastic stag pen knife, oldtymer! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

That EO notch is first-class, and the checkered jigging rings my chimes!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:;)

Thanks Gary 5K Qs 5K Qs . What day is canoe day?
As far as I'm concerned, every day is canoe day, Alan, especially with the fantastic examples you've picked up!! :D:thumbsup:

Thank you Gary !! Fantastic in blue mini copperhead :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
The master at work. Well done, GT. In case you were not aware, I am a fan of the Case knives and you offered up some fine ones. I really like the SBJr, but that mini copperhead caught my eye, as I do like peanuts (just don't carry them as much as I should).
- Stuart
Nice Cases shown there GT !!!
Harry
Thanks, Gev & Stuart & Harry. :) I like the color blue, but I never though much about blue knives. The blue bone on the mini copperhead totally sends me, though! :eek::cool::cool::thumbsup:

Yes, that's an 09 Esquire.
If I'm not mistaken, GEC's equal end/single springs go: #54 Moose>#35 Churchill>#68 Cuban.

Today it's a new Enzo in Birch, the Churchill, and the old Boker that I can't seem to kick out of my pocket for long.
View attachment 831643

Fight the flu, everybody!
Thanks for the informative and encouraging post, r8shell! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

I am not sure if GEC did a single spring Moose on the 53/54 frame or not, someone more knowledgeable than I would have to chime in. This particular 53 Moose I have is big and heavy, has 2 springs, and sports a clip and a sheepfoot blade (which is an ideal configuration for a Moose, in my opinion (sorry, Nessmuk :D)). The covers on this big guy are indeed ebony but they aren't the inky black that I generally prefer and love. However, the grain is beautiful and the different hues that are present are quite captivating.
ZRzlOT5.jpg
Thanks for the info, Dylan! I'm a sucker for equal-end black knives with silver bolsters! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Hope you feel better soon!
Took me two weeks, ugh.
Thanks, Ramrodmb, although the 2 weeks info isn't what I wanted to hear! :( I usually sleep 6-7 hr/night, but I've been sleeping 8-10 since I caught this bug, hoping the extra sleep will accelerate the healing process. ;) (Need a fingers-crossed emoji)

Incredible bone, Will, in terms of both color and jigging! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I was Totin a Stainless duo today. :)
39752435261_18b5844aca_b_d.jpg
Interesting contrasts in that pair: black/red, wood/bone, square/round bolsters. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Is that the same Case you've been posting quite often recently, on? I didn't realize it was stainless!

Made this cross for my granddaughter's 15th birthday last September. It and a card/check was stolen out of their mailbox, I was livid. Closed that bank account, blah blah blah. Livid. A few months go by and guess what shows up in the mailbox ... yep, the cross and the check. Her card was gone and the stamps used to mail it back to me looked stolen. Addressed without my last name, I can't help but wonder the life this cross has lived in the last few months.
davisonmammoth1.jpg
That's quite a story, Chief! Congrats on getting the cross back. :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool:

View attachment 831741 '87 Winchester Torpedo Jack

A sad day on the homestead yesterday. By trusty Boker 494 sheepsfoot Barlow was lost out on the lake ice. ... It has been a while since I had lost a knife and this one has been my companion for two and a half years. A true E.D.C.

... Trying to decide between these two beauties for my new E.D.C. What would you all pick? The might peanut or the thinly ground super slicer IXL?

94pzncV.jpg
Condolences, jmarston! :( That was the Böker Barlow with the EO notch that you've been totally committed to, right? FWIW, I'd take the IXL over the peanut because of the extra size. (Truth be told, I'd find pocket space for both, probably! :p)

I've got a a Boker 494 sheep foot main in pretty decent shape I'd like to send your way...
Accolades to you for your generosity, Duane!! Three cheers for the "spirit" of The Porch! :thumbsup::thumbsup::D:cool::cool:

... Both gifts from @paulhilborn and @Campbellclanman . ...

Harry
Fine pair of Barlows from a fine pair of guys, Harry! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Miscellaneous Knife of the Week is a GEC 72 (thanks, Dee):
pxelv55.jpg

My new rotation schedule has a new category: Stag/Horn Knife of the Week. This week it's a Marbles ram's horn sowbelly stockman:
fxJqT0t.jpg

- GT

Yep. I bought 2, but the other will be going back. A bit of blade wobble that most wouldn't worry about, but the spring is also rather recessed when closed, so both issues combined mean it's not one I'd want to keep This one is great though.

Got mine today, the blade tang sits high where it meets the back spring. I'm disappointed in this one, the others have excellent. I'll be sending it back to Case Repair to see if they can fix it.

Last edited:
I've been struggling with time the past couple of days, not in an Albert Einstein sort of way I hasten to add, just very busy, and inundated with PMs and emails! :D I've just gone through about 5 pages of this thread, and in the end, I had to give up quoting pics of all your gorgeous knives! I was carrying these two today...

I'll have these two with me tomorrow :) Have a great weekend everyone :thumbsup:

View attachment 832095
Jack I totally agree with you my friend! :eek: I have put a blister on my trigger finger hitting the like button this evening! :eek: Great choices in your daily carries my friend! :)

What a jaw-dropping pair, Ron! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: (IF I had gotten TWO Churchills, I think those would have been my selections. ;) IF I'd only gotten one, I'd probably STILL be debating which to choose. :confused::eek::rolleyes: I'll just wait for the "spear main" version of the Churchill in ebony, I guess! :D)

Interesting contrasts in that pair: black/red, wood/bone, square/round bolsters. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Is that the same Case you've been posting quite often recently, on? I didn't realize it was stainless!
Gary I’m thankful as usual for the compliments! :) The Red Bone is indeed the same knife and it is stainless. :D

Friday’s carries for me. I hope y’all have a great weekend. :D
38930503834_c63b11244b_b_d.jpg

Yes, this thread, and The Porch, are busier than they once were :) :thumbsup:
As a new poster kicking pebbles on the porch I definitely get that feeling. Sometimes I feel like I'm intruding, although everyone is naturally friendly. But in contrast to some sentiments posted elsewhere (Queen closing thread) re: waning interest in traditional cutlery, I think the upped interest speaks well for old-timey knives.

Carrying my 6344 medium stockman today. Small and light with a blade for every purpose. I really like this one!

39071684194_a3595187e2_b.jpg
Nice lookin' stockman , Ace. Also, that is a fantastic photo, looks like a catalog pic!

How could I have forgotten about that stag beauty??? :confused::eek: Thanks for sharing a photo, FBC! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks Gary, Hugo is a hansom devil. Now, if I could only get Hugo and Betty to have little knife babies.. :D

Today
28454713065_8ea63bc10a_b.jpg

Back