1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Kizer C01C Sheepdog Ki4488A & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Dec 14 !

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Dec 15 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Apr 8, 2008.

1. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    A Wright seems to be well represented today.
    [​IMG]

2. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Part time maker, very very part time Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 25, 2012
    Totin' the Kutmaster today.
    [​IMG]

3. deltaboy

deltaboy

Jul 6, 2014
    Walden s

[​IMG]

4. Atiger

Atiger Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 7, 2016
    This old Armstrong barlow...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    Did you ever walk with the Clarion Ramblers?

Zieg

Jack Black likes this.
  6. oldtymer

oldtymer Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    It's Luke's Peanut--"The Force is strong in this one" :p
    Carrying this one today
    DSCN0088.JPG

7. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    I decided to take the canoe to work today. If it keeps raining the way it has been I may need to take my other canoe to work tomorrow!!!

[​IMG]

8. T. Erdelyi

T. Erdelyi Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Gift from @Dopic1, the Solitaire 302 by Buck is a perfect single blade slipjoint that has more than enough blade for a gentleman to EDC and still make a great work knife too. thanks Scott :) . You'll notice the shield is upside down. It came out the second day so I re-epoxied it in so it looked better open for pics.

[​IMG]

9. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Love the knife and photo Rob. It looks so much better here than on FB which destroys all pics.

10. 66sprint6

66sprint6

Jan 21, 2016
    HA so true. He's starting to smile for more than just because he pooped (still funny) and his go-to is a smirk. A smirk thats an aweful lot like Skwalker's buddy Han. Actually, we think its rather, Indiana Jonesesc which is another joke on us cause his middle name is Henry LOL

Matt

HWF likes this.
  11. Carboniferous

Carboniferous

Jul 15, 2015
    Some real nice blues and purples on the CV after dinner, meat always seems to leave good color:

[​IMG]

The flash of color as the light hits the blade (or rather the newly deposited thin-film, the thickness of which corresponds to the color observed, of various iron oxide minerals) at just the right angle is one of my favorite things about non-stainless steel.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  12. Planterz

Planterz Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2004
    I don't remember seeing that one before. It's probably a good idea I never got into barlow collecting. It's always so interesting the wide variety of unique names, stamps, and logos, that I'd probably run myself into the poor house (wait - already there) buying up each new one I saw. LOVE this one.

HWF and Atiger like this.
  13. T. Erdelyi

T. Erdelyi Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    There was a time you could find nice old examples for around $10-$20 all over the place. They weren't perfect but you could still find 'em in good shape at that price at the flea markets and yard sales, (greedy people on ebay were already startin' to exploit people's interest for the Barlows).

I had a Boker 1 armed razor knife small Barlow for a few year and someone took it from my tool box and decided they liked it more. Next one was a Schrade scrimshaw which I gifted to a friend who collected Schrade Old timers and Uncle Henrys. He was one of those guys who sent in the lost warranty for every Uncle Henry so as to get another knife for free. L never liked that. $0 years I never sent in for the lost warranty and when I finally lost my little LB1, they went outta business 6 months earlier. :(

Next one was the Forum Queen/Schatt Morgan on '09 and I didn't get another till the Traditional Forum's TC Barlow. Now I keep lookin' for them on the auction sites, local knife & gun shows and flea markets.

If you like the tin shell knives there are still tons of old Colonial Schrades from Ireland and Providence. If you like the modern versions from the Baby Butterbean Barlow's to the Grand Daddy Barlows expect to pay a premium for the modern renditions

[​IMG]

14. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    A Favourite Thing

[​IMG]

15. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Congrats on the noteworthy new pair, Ron! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Admirable Böker Barlow, 315! :cool::thumbsup:

Kind of cool to have a knife decorated by somebody else and wonder why they did it. ;)

Thanks for the confirmation, Rob. :)

Thanks for the info, Greg. I'd have NEVER figured out what that is on my own! :rolleyes:

Do you have to invest in snow tires, Barrett? You ought to drive for Uber; showing up with that Checker would turn some heads! ;) Great photos of knife and daughter! :cool::cool:

Terrific tortoise shell stockman! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: I'm amazed at how much difference round bolsters affect my opinion of a knife.

Thanks for the comments, Jack. If Greg keeps whittling gifts for folks, we could put together quite a Frankencreature, starting with your lambsfoot at the bottom and my hatted head at the top! :p:thumbsup:
    In my mind, I always think "Big Red" when I see that knife of yours; I think it's a name we had for a statuesque, auburn-haired, unattainable young lady frequently seen in the dining hall back in my college student days. ;):D:rolleyes:

Thanks for the confirmation and opinion, Will. :)

I always admire your stag knives, Harry, but that bone pair is highly desirable!! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: (And also necessary to counteract 8" of snow.)

Good wood, r8shell! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks, Tom; those are a couple of refined Remingtons you have, and I'm always blown away by your black BSK!! :cool::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Not only a knife for Wednesday, but also a knife for the ages, rinos!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

That looks my kind of lunch, HST. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Unfortunately, my breakfast and dinner are typically not nearly as healthy! :(

Thanks for the "props" for my knives, for the view from your new office, for the ULG tribute, and for the striking ebony pair!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool:

Thanks, Stuart. :) I need to work on the edges of that Barlows blades before it will cut competently. I'm not sure where that knife came from, but I know it spent many years in the window repair bucket on my workbench before I cleaned it up for a more genteel life.

Fantastic Barlow, Stuart! :cool::cool::thumbsup: (And today, that fixed blade reminds me of a handlebar mustache. :confused::rolleyes:)

I revere routines, and you have a couple of nice ones, Greg! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Matt, I'd like a sip of whatever you're drinking for lunch! :D:p:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Congrats, and I'm happy for you, Gary!! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

W:eek:W, Ron, what a difference in color schemes on your pair!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:;)

Nice photos, Paul!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Such a splendid bolster stamp on your grand Barlow, Wayne! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

So many nice knives displayed yesterday that I think I have space for only two photos of my own.
    My Peanut-like Knife of the Week is a Rough Rider baby copperhead:
    [​IMG]

My Stag/Horn Knife of the Week is a Colt stag canoe:
    [​IMG]

- GT

16. Chui

Chui Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 10, 2012
    - ooh, my, what a beaut...........everything is 'just right' about that :thumbsup::thumbsup:

HWF likes this.
  17. Chui

Chui Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 10, 2012
    - mmm, from what I can see, that looks a really nicely made blade.........different in finish and quality to others I've seen, is it because it's stainless..?

Forgive me if I'm 'seeing things', but it does look good :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    HWF, Jack Black and Will Power like this.
  18. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
  19. Ironbut

Ironbut Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2016
    It looks like this one has knocked the micarta Churchill out of my pocket, at least for a while. It needs some patina, and maybe some aging on the bone slabs. It just looks....I dunno.....new.
    [​IMG]

20. Travman

Travman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2016
    4AEF691F-4B62-480D-BB9B-DE7120E22313.jpeg AE29A0D6-8C92-4E85-BBC0-83429960AA02.jpeg