What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

rgNgDik.jpg

More beautiful knives and pictures thereof than I can keep up with (because I stop and stare/drool). A cornucopia of coveted cutlery.
@ 5K Q That Colt is a fine captivating canoe, but the small copperhead grabbed my attention. The blue Case mini copperlock that I posted a day back would contrast well the" little red" that you showed.

@Chief You can show those Menefees all year long, Top. They are pieces of crafted beauty. Thanks for sharing them. That swayback is so elegant!

@Atiger I love a barlow and am intrigued by the Armstrong. Great bolster art; I've not seen one before.

@Will Power I can see why you favor that one. Fine picture, pal.

@Ironbut The knife looks fine to me, as is. (Though most of my knives are old, so I don't look forward to them looking older.)

@The Zieg The Dawson Mercury stopped my gazing at you curious collection (love the Mosin Nagant "prybar"). I am fond on bird&trout knives and that's a beauty.

@Travman That 26 looks like a little brute, but the pinched bolsters give it some subtle "style". Nice. I don't have any GEC knives (apologies to any and all who may feel faint right now), but you and @Ironbut posted some alluring examples, as have several others. I may have to come out of retirement and get a job that pays some folding money to get on the GEC train (or even just to try some of the RRs that @5K Qs has been showing).

@Jack Black "A Ramble made is a man improved." That slogan, simple and so true, has made my day, Jack. Most of my best experiences have been afoot - walking the fields for pheasants and rabbits, sauntering with my wife and, especially my children, a scouting walk with my dog or a human friend, even those dreaded marches while at Ft. Bragg in the summer - I found new knowledge, confirmed old beliefs, and forged some personal strengths. Thanks for reminding me.

I have put this one in my pocket today (along with the Sabre barlow that I posted a day ago), It is of one my favorite knives, one that is as solidly built as any newer knife that I own: a WARDS premium stockman made for Montgomery Wards by Utica in the 1935-1950s period. They were really making high quality knives then.

IzJ2wd7.jpg

yR8Z8bd.jpg

KIvMoZY.jpg

hXc4Eyp.jpg

eV60kTr.jpg

gNBukTb.jpg

- Stuart

Wow, just wow.

It's a funny coincidence: I came up in the 1970s and '80s reading Colin Fletcher's volumes I - III of The Complete Walker. In his ounce-paring insanity he addresses carrying a knife and because he was never a bushcrafter, he settles on the little SD Classic. I can't remember what he said about the tweezers and toothpick, but he does mention maybe cutting off the file in a fit of weight madness.

Zieg

Same here...I got into backpacking in the 70s and The Complete Walker was my bible. I even found a store near me that sold Mint Cake!

With the second release of the lionSTEEL Roundhead here, this week I carried my Ram’s Horn from last year’s run.
This is really a fantastic knife. Butter-smooth pull and solid lockup, beautiful clean lines and plenty of blade...what’s not to like?

9DBEC651-6920-4CFC-AA88-A8E86E1010E9.jpeg 1C534100-7E08-497D-B48B-5E20AAB96AB1.jpeg

- mmm, from what I can see, that looks a really nicely made blade.........different in finish and quality to others I've seen, is it because it's stainless..?

Forgive me if I'm 'seeing things', but it does look good :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nope, not stainless. That picture was taken when it was brand new, before the patina started.

More beautiful knives and pictures thereof than I can keep up with (because I stop and stare/drool). A cornucopia of coveted cutlery.
@ 5K Q That Colt is a fine captivating canoe, but the small copperhead grabbed my attention. The blue Case mini copperlock that I posted a day back would contrast well the" little red" that you showed.

@Chief You can show those Menefees all year long, Top. They are pieces of crafted beauty. Thanks for sharing them. That swayback is so elegant!

@Atiger I love a barlow and am intrigued by the Armstrong. Great bolster art; I've not seen one before.

@Will Power I can see why you favor that one. Fine picture, pal.

@Ironbut The knife looks fine to me, as is. (Though most of my knives are old, so I don't look forward to them looking older.)

@The Zieg The Dawson Mercury stopped my gazing at you curious collection (love the Mosin Nagant "prybar"). I am fond on bird&trout knives and that's a beauty.

@Travman That 26 looks like a little brute, but the pinched bolsters give it some subtle "style". Nice. I don't have any GEC knives (apologies to any and all who may feel faint right now), but you and @Ironbut posted some alluring examples, as have several others. I may have to come out of retirement and get a job that pays some folding money to get on the GEC train (or even just to try some of the RRs that @5K Qs has been showing).

@Jack Black "A Ramble made is a man improved." That slogan, simple and so true, has made my day, Jack. Most of my best experiences have been afoot - walking the fields for pheasants and rabbits, sauntering with my wife and, especially my children, a scouting walk with my dog or a human friend, even those dreaded marches while at Ft. Bragg in the summer - I found new knowledge, confirmed old beliefs, and forged some personal strengths. Thanks for reminding me.

I have put this one in my pocket today (along with the Sabre barlow that I posted a day ago), It is of one my favorite knives, one that is as solidly built as any newer knife that I own: a WARDS premium stockman made for Montgomery Wards by Utica in the 1935-1950s period. They were really making high quality knives then.

IzJ2wd7.jpg

yR8Z8bd.jpg

KIvMoZY.jpg

hXc4Eyp.jpg

eV60kTr.jpg

gNBukTb.jpg

- Stuart

That really is a nice one. It's interesting to see the quality of the department store brands, nothing like the cheap junk that they carry today if they have knives at all.

Thank you very much. I found no good reason for the knife not being carried more often:eek::)

The reason, I reckon, is the superabundance :p of equally appealing knives vying for the chance to be carried. Or it could be, not enough pockets. ;)
This is a good problem to have Paul. :) :thumbsup:

Michael

Last edited:
The reason, I reckon, is the superabundance :p of equally appealing knives vying for the chance to be carried. Or it could be, not enough pockets. ;)
This is a good problem to have Paul. :) :thumbsup:

Michael
Michael, first off, thank you for the compliment and a new word...superabundance, one that I will work into conversation tomorrow somewhere along the line:D I feel it's new, as spell check tries to separate into (super abundance):thumbsup::)

Back