1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Apr 8, 2008.

1. pmek5

pmek5 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2007
    This 2-blade #14 TC is the Bee's knees :)

[​IMG]

2. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Beauty of an old Scout Gev, now in regards to the "Daze" comment, I'm wondering if it's the kind that Matthew McConaughey was in back in 1993:eek::D

3. Gevonovich

Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    Mesmerizing :)

Will Power likes this.
  4. jprime84

jprime84

Jul 7, 2014
    Had to log back in to share these dress socks I was given at Christmas. Shown here with the collector knives round head.

[​IMG]

Jack Black, jakemex, Jsega51 and 19 others like this.
  5. Gevonovich

Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    LOL...something about underware ;) When I lived up in the mountains of Colo. in Carbondale...there were these yearly festivals...Summer Daze...Mountain Daze...Carbon Daze

paulhilborn likes this.
  6. Beard&Owl

Beard&Owl KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 26, 2012
    Pena Ti barlow and a little walk in the woods walk.jpg

7. bonzodog

bonzodog Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 3, 2011
    [​IMG]

8. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    You have so many nice canoes, @315 !! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks for the kindness concerning my Colt canoe, Paul and Jeff. :) I'm kicking myself for not having picked up multiple copies of every Colt stag model for under $20 when they were available! :eek::(:mad:

I'm a sucker for any black/red handle pairing, @JTB_5 and @Pàdruig ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Congrats on your latest "Watch Pocket Sunfish", @Travman !!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Secondary is a pen blade, right? What did GEC call those covers?

Zesty fish Zulu, Alan! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Jack, I admire both your 2-blade lambsfoot and your ebony version (and the ebony lambs foots of so many others)! :thumbsup::cool::cool: I dearly love my rosewood model, but I think my next perambulation into the lambsfoot pasture will have to be an elegant ebony! (And no cracks about "elegant GT" being an oxymoron! ;))

More acclaimed and admirable lambsfoots!! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup: @strokednbored , does yours have the "pruner" frame with a little extra curve to it? I'm enjoying your "steering wheel series" of portraits of it! :thumbsup::D:thumbsup: @HWF , I dig the stripes on your knife's handles :thumbsup::cool::cool:, but I'm not sure if it's ebony or rosewood?? :confused:

Congrats, @rswanson , I think your stag 78 is almost salacious!! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for the further scientific reports, Matt! :thumbsup::cool:;):thumbsup: Of course you know I'm going to spend WAY too much time this weekend checking the potential magnetic properties of my knives, starting with my Case chestnut jigged peanut! :rolleyes:

Great post, Stuart!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool: Thanks for the positive feedback on my knives, especially the baby copperhead. :) And I know what you mean about knife funding. :p I'm scheduled to retire at the end of August, but I've already agreed to teach one class each semester next school year, at least in part to fund knives and health care! :D:D
    Thanks for the articulate thoughts on the joys/pleasures of walking. :cool::thumbsup: And thanks for sharing that wonderful Wards folder: the "crinkly" bone, the shield, the coined liners, the blade selection combine to leave me awestruck! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

Fantastic knife, @ArchiveMoto !!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I never noticed the "GEC CAR" on the tang stamp before! :eek: Do all the 78s have that stamp?

W:eek:W, Jason, that photo blows me away!! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup: The thought that immediately popped into my head when I saw the picture was the melody and first line of an old hymn, "Blest Be the Tie That Binds"! :rolleyes:

@jmarston & @Hickory n steel , those are a couple of timeless classics from Case - great photos, too! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Tough to beat a sheep/pen TC IMHO, Paul! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup: Thanks for the explanation (in the Churchill thread, I think) for the "setting" of many of your recent photos; makes a lot of sense! :thumbsup:;) (I just wish I was good enough to step outside for a quick "keeper" shot! I get my old pointNshoot camera warmed up, and then I typically take a half dozen shots to get one "sort of keeper". :rolleyes: That's a cold prospect in the winter if I have a box of Rough Riders come in. :p)

Thanks for the pro photo tip, Alan! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Thanks for the story, @Zieg ! :cool::thumbsup::cool: I'm no hiker and never heard of this Fletcher guy, but I like "informal" walking to and from work, church, etc. and found the story fascinating!

That's one of the things I like about you, Ron: you're almost always a happy camper! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: ;) The jigging on your Norfolk is rapturous! :eek::thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Remarkable Russell, Wayne! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

@hamsco , that's a glorious Swayback Gent!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Superb pairing, Taylor! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool:

That's a splendid Case canoe you picked up recently, @peanutsxx !! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Iconic, impressive Ankermesser, @HFinn !! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I don't think I've posted my Watch Pocket Knife of the Week yet, a Hen & Rooster green pick bone mini canoe (thanks, Will):
    [​IMG]

My "Free Choice" Knife of the Week is a Chinese Schrade 89OT:
    [​IMG]

- GT

JJ Cahill, HFinn, Jack Black and 18 others like this.
  9. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Thanks, GT! That green on your canoe looks like British racing green (one of my favorites).

T. Erdelyi likes this.
  10. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Posted my "old tan" TC yesterday, so I decided to break out it's mate today. Not sure what the bone is on this one, old yellow bone? Definately a more rusty red cast to it though.
    [​IMG]

Pt-Luso, Pomsbz, Jack Black and 20 others like this.
  11. Duckdog

Duckdog Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Man, I gotta look to find some more barlows to carry. The ones posted are excellent. Anywho, I picked out something different to carry today. I have two of these, so I need to give at least one of them some sunshine. I was born while we were stationed at Ft. Campbell, KY and my dad was shipping out to Korea (a hint to my age), so I have an affection for the Bluegrass State. This Case Kentucky Centennial sodbuster jr. celebrates the 1874-1974 centennial, but was actually produced in 1975. I plan to carry it to share with my buddies during our regular Friday glass-raising session this afternoon. I will also carry its younger brother, a Case SBJ from 1978, and their Country Cousin by Queen from 1978 (the "patina" on the Queen is actually a shadow of yours truly) in case serious cutting duties arise. You never know when a cigar demands trimming.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Stuart

12. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Beauty, Paul! That one looks like it would age VERY gracefully.

13. Duckdog

Duckdog Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Thank you, friend. And early congratulations on your future retirement (good funding plan, too). That curvaceous canoe is captivating, but I am intrigued by your Schrade and its blade selection. That would be a handy companion for a bird and small game hunter. Thanks for showing it.
    - Stuart

14. willard0341

willard0341 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2013
    F79CA743-9BC4-4AE1-9623-A98C12A7D646.jpeg I have had my mail with held for a few weeks so I went by the post office today to retrieve the loot. The lineman’s knife is a case tested that is mechanically sound but has got a lot of the red stuff on it. The 78s I’ve just handled briefly but seem to be as good as what I’ve been reading about them. Good day

15. traumkommode

traumkommode Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Cocobolo Willamette Whittler:

[​IMG]

16. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Same old, same old.

[​IMG]

17. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    I am excited too, my friend. Though I do not look forward to the shark frenzy, all a lad can do is give it his best shot right? I expressed my anxiety this morning to my wife and she just rolled her eyes and smiled. First world problems, right? ;)

A fine example you have there, that matchstrike pull really sets the whole package off, doesn't it?

I will be the first to admit that though I like jigged bone, it is usually not my first choice, especially when wood options are available. That being said, the jigging on those TCs is phenomenal! A very striking pair, you showcase them beautifully in your pictures.

Beautiful Ram's Horn! Mine should be arriving tomorrow and I am eagerly awaiting the surprise. Will it be light, dark, golden, mixed? One way or the others, it will be amazing, I am sure.

Thank you! It certainly does photograph well, doesn't it?

Only the very best, my friend! ;)

Always an exceptionally solid choice.

A fantastic picture, Will! Stunning really.

Blacks and reds have become a fast and firm favorite, GT. I am happy you appreciate the combo as well.

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement! What will you ever do with all the extra time? There is always more cutlery to be had! :D

I am carrying this dark duo today.

"Erudition, n. Dust shaken out of a book into an empty skull.
    So wide his erudition's mighty span,
    He knew Creation's origin and plan
    And only came by accident to grief ---
    He thought, poor man, 'twas right to be a thief. -Romach Pute"

-Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

[​IMG]

18. RDaneel

RDaneel Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 23, 2000
    It is so good to see these beauties again, Wayne. Please stay on this Barlow jag!

I'm carrying some of my older ones as well. I do not have the breadth or quality that you do, but they are fun to carry!

[​IMG]

19. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    @Pàdruig a truly diabolical duo are your ebony pair.

20. rswanson

rswanson

Jun 10, 2011
    In case someone out there isn't sick of seeing the new 78's...
    IMG_4022.JPG

Mikael W, Pomsbz, mitch4ging and 13 others like this.