What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

The Otter bone handle slip joint I fetched from the post this morning. Blade is 90 mm long and made of C 75 carbon steel, so it should take a patina.

20180318_161711_zpshic39hjn.jpg

I was just looking at this knife today on a website and it really caught my eye. Love the dual rattail bolsters. What's your overall impression of it compared to a GEC?

I was just looking at this knife today on a website and it really caught my eye. Love the dual rattail bolsters. What's your overall impression of it compared to a GEC?

I can't compare it since I don't have a GEC yet. I think this is a really nice knife from a classic European brand in it's own right. I have now three Otter knives, the brass Mercator, the anchor knife and this one. All of them are well made, usefull tools. The edge on the anchor knife had to be resharpened, but both others had flawless edges.

Only flaws I found on this bone handle knife are that centering is just a hair off and there is a little grinding mark between tang and spring, visible when knife is open (the spring end is not perfectly even). On the anchor knife this interface is almost perfect. The scales have some very light yellow blotches but I quess bone has those anyway.

Pins in the handle can be just felt with finger. I think these are not really flaws. So I'm quite happy for the f&f considering I paid 92 euros for this, about half the price of the GEC I will get. The f&f is not perfect, but flaws are small.

Last edited:
Thank you for these additional pictures Paul . Sorry that I had remembered his first name wrong . I do have 2 Taylors Eye Witness Barlows that I bought new in 2014 that I suspicion were made by Russell . I have never found anything wrong with either one of them . Is that some Biltong that you are cutting ??? I think these pictures show the beauty of your knife a little better . Take care my friend .

Harry

- indeed, Harry...........mouth-watering biltong.

I usually eat too much and have aching jaws and teeth the next day :rolleyes:

Thanks, Jack! It was great to be out. We are a good 20 degrees below normal still, but I feel it coming! Hoping it warms up for you, soon!:thumbsup:

Thanks a lot Mark :thumbsup:

I actually really like this weather. I look forward to winter and I pine like a puppy missing it's owner when it passes. Maybe I'm actually from Narnia....:)
lRKgyfs.jpg

And just a little reminder that apparently "meteorological spring" is actually completely made up :D
The Bronte Bridge, above Haworth yesterday.
J8Ks5FE.jpg

LOL! It's certainly great walking weather, makes everything adventurous! ;) Lovely pic my friend, nice to see a photo of that view without 20 or 30 day-trippers! :D :thumbsup:

Heading out camping for a few days. I’ll have this integral hunter by Karl Andersen on my side. Forged from W2, handle is Koa. This pattern was the knife for the CKCA in 2010.

View attachment 870423

Absolutely beautiful Jake :thumbsup:

- cheers, Harry @Old Engineer

Yes, Russell White. I had heard a while back that he was well enough to start making again.........but sadly, heard recently that he wasn't so well again :(

Here's that knife...

(Des Ir)

DSC_9607close.jpg

DSC_9606.jpg

DSC_9601.jpg

I was also about to ask if that was recent Paul, lovely knife, and thanks for the info, sad as it is :thumbsup:

:D :thumbsup:

Thanks, Jack. :) Superb Sunday selection; speaking of verdant, that photo of your 66 sure is! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Like the poor, these are always with me:
QO5wic1.jpg

- GT

Thank you very much my friend, always good to see those :) :thumbsup:

One day I will remember what the correct name for that horn. haha. I do love the horn on this one, thank you, my friend.

Wright's call it Oxhorn, but I don't think it has an official name beyond that :D Looks great though :) :thumbsup:

Carrying this wee Lambsfoot in Sambar today :thumbsup:

A.Wright Small Swayback Sambar Lambsfoot 2-6.JPG

The Otter bone handle slip joint I fetched from the post this morning. Blade is 90 mm long and made of C 75 carbon steel, so it should take a patina.

20180318_161711_zpshic39hjn.jpg

Perhaps a review after you've gotten to know the knife a little better.
:)
Michael

Last edited:
Great picture. Would you mind telling me more about that knife?
Thanks man, its a custom titanium barlow by Enrique Pena. He does some incredible work and his hand jigging is absolutely some of the best. One of my favorite knives.

Today, I'm taking a favorite out for a much needed breath of fresh air. A Genella small curved lockback jack from 1978. It was commissioned and imported from Japan by Charlie Genella and is very similar to the May 1980 Choo Choo Knife Show Knife (in Chattanoga, TN, naturally) that he also created in 1978. Charlie ran the Hixson Knife Shop in Hixon, Tennesee until his untimely death in 1988 at age 59. I really enjoy this knife, especially with its story.

bsjCw6t.jpg

Oerofj3.jpg

zaotHAw.jpg

- Stuart

Today, I'm taking a favorite out for a much needed breath of fresh air. A Genella small curved lockback jack from 1978. It was commissioned and imported from Japan by Charlie Genella and is very similar to the May 1980 Choo Choo Knife Show Knife (in Chattanoga, TN, naturally) that he also created in 1978. Charlie ran the Hixson Knife Shop in Hixon, Tennesee until his untimely death in 1988 at age 59. I really enjoy this knife, especially with its story.

bsjCw6t.jpg

Oerofj3.jpg

zaotHAw.jpg

- Stuart

Great knife and story Stuart!

In my quest to find places to take daily knife pics here in sunny Syracuse (that's a joke for those not familiar with our #25 position in the top cloudiest cities in the US) I'm trying something else. It sure is easy to stage a shot this way!
Brent Cramer LC Jr. Amber stag and CPM-154.
JCWRq3j.jpg

Back