What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

#78 my first GEC. What a great user!
IMG_20180324_145518.jpg

Last edited:
Man, oh, man, there are some fine knives peeking out today! @Travman , @SteveC, Gevonovich Gevonovich , @Will Power , mitch4ging mitch4ging - WOW!
A recent discussion between @ISKRA and @pmek5 prompted my picks for today; A Case 53087 medium stockman (1940-1964) for Stagurday and its two-blade cousin, a Case 22087 small premium jack (1965-1969) in black Delrin.

QwbyYeM.jpg

994LDeu.jpg

CK8zBON.jpg

TPGxik5.jpg

Please pardon the pesky reflections of my photo-bombing white oak in the blades (it is very vain).
- Stuart
Thank you very much, mr. Stuart! Love both those Cases, perfect pair to carry!

Part of my Easter weekend carry . This little gem hasn’t been out of the safe in a while .
Swg5xyA.jpg

Love those flame-looking covers.

That knife does have a bit of a hot rod aesthetic.

I had the same issue. The spine of the sheepfoot hit just the wrong spot on the inside of my knuckle. I carefully filed the kick to lower the blade, and now it's very comfortable in hand. There are discussions about it in the Churchill thread, as well as before and after pics. I think a few other members did the same modification.

Yes, knife people tend to have their own special brand of logic.

Like @r8shell mentioned, there are some folks who modded their Churchills for reasons that you stated . It hasn't bothered me yet so I haven't attempted the filework. However, those who have, have produced satisfactory results.

I woke up to an absolutely beautiful spring morning and I took advantage of the cool and quiet to enjoy some coffee and a pipe.

bXhXM8c.jpg

Thanks for the advice on the Churchill sheepsfoot mod. I'll probably just leave it for now. It's not that annoying, just one of those little things, and based on where it hits my finger, it seems like it would have to be lowered a lot to make any difference.

Hope you're enjoying the spring weather, Dylan! I was hoping to get some nice outdoor photos of my Churchill this weekend, but we got a few inches of fresh snow last night, so an indoor photo will have to do for now.

p02rBsD.jpg

That knife does have a bit of a hot rod aesthetic.

Thanks for the advice on the Churchill sheepsfoot mod. I'll probably just leave it for now. It's not that annoying, just one of those little things, and based on where it hits my finger, it seems like it would have to be lowered a lot to make any difference.

Hope you're enjoying the spring weather, Dylan! I was hoping to get some nice outdoor photos of my Churchill this weekend, but we got a few inches of fresh snow last night, so an indoor photo will have to do for now.

p02rBsD.jpg
Absolutely and I should lay it down on the hood of my flamed 57 Chevy and take a pic :D

btb01 btb01

Barrett, I am one of those Churchill mod folks, and I have really enjoyed the difference the lower secondary makes when digging it with the primary blade. I know a lot of folks use a pinch grip with traditional knives, which means those extra blades aren't really in the way, but I still prefer the neanderthal hammer grip for a lot of things, and the mod makes it less uncomfortable. I prefer the aesthetics of the lower secondary as well.

I woke up to an absolutely beautiful spring morning and I took advantage of the cool and quiet to enjoy some coffee and a pipe.

bXhXM8c.jpg
Magnificent picture, Dylan ! Reminds me of a short video a guy posted years back ( can't remember who..wish I could ) where is starts out with the reflection of the wilderness on his eyes then pans the landscape and moves into the reflection of the trees in his cup of coffee with the camp fire illuminating the vibrant spring morning

I always enjoy seeing your stag, Harry. Soon that gorgeous 43 you snagged will be joining the mix!
Thank you very much Dylan !!!!! Very much appreciated my friend . I will have to get a picture of all my Stags after I get the 43 just to stay up to date .

Harry

View attachment 878642

78 Appaloosa Friday evening at sunset. Looking forward to tomorrow morning! Have a Blessed Easter everyone!

Leslie, I went back and looked at your picture again and was confirmed in my earlier belief - that's a GREAT picture. I don't know if that is a reflection in the blade, a strangely lit etch, or an unreal "view through steel", but I love it. Thanks, buddy - that made my day.
- Stuart

Leslie, I went back and looked at your picture again and was confirmed in my earlier belief - that's a GREAT picture. I don't know if that is a reflection in the blade, a strangely lit etch, or an unreal "view through steel", but I love it. Thanks, buddy - that made my day.
- Stuart

Thanks Stuart. D Duckdog It was a beautiful evening. Directly opposite the sunset, a full moon was rising in the middle of pinkish clouds. The moon was bright enough to illuminate the knife in the same pink glow, allowing the blade to pick up the shadow of a large pine tree. I cannot explain why the reflection is only on the top half of the blade. I wish I could have captured the entire 360 degree view.

Last edited:
Man, oh, man, there are some fine knives peeking out today! @Travman , @SteveC, Gevonovich Gevonovich , @Will Power , mitch4ging mitch4ging - WOW!
A recent discussion between @ISKRA and @pmek5 prompted my picks for today; A Case 53087 medium stockman (1940-1964) for Stagurday and its two-blade cousin, a Case 22087 small premium jack (1965-1969) in black Delrin.

QwbyYeM.jpg

994LDeu.jpg

CK8zBON.jpg

TPGxik5.jpg

Please pardon the pesky reflections of my photo-bombing white oak in the blades (it is very vain).
- Stuart
That 53087 is superb. Looks like a fantastic EDC. I love the older 6318HE, which is smaller, narrower, and more elegant than the newer ones (late '70's and after) with the tapered bolsters and NS liners instead of brass. The old 87 patterns look the same, just a bit smaller still. I'll have to find one for myself one day.

Back