What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Fabulous pair of 'oldsters' that bone:)

Thanks, Will. As you can see below, Half/Stop and I met for lunch today and were joined by some Queens, so your name naturally came up.

The confusion may partly be due to the fact that there were at least two Needham Brothers firms, a Charles Needham, Robert M Needham, William Needham, and Thomas Needham of Needham, Veall & Tyzack. The Needham of Hill Street was William Needham (1853-1915), originally a maker of silver fruit knives, working in Jessop Street from around 1881, and in Eyre Street from 1911. After William's death, the business continued under his son, William Henry Needham (1877-1963). At the end of the 1930's the firm moved to Portland Work (the factory of R.F. Moseley, where Harry Brearley made the world's first stainless steel knives in 1913 - and where Jack Black Knives was based 100 years later ;) ) in Hill Street. William Henry died in 1963, but the firm was still listed in the 1970's, possibly run by William Henry's son, William Edwin Needham (1903-1971).

Thanks, Jack, that is what I hoped for. I met Half/Stop for lunch today and he told me that you would have something helpful (I was driving over while he was at the restaurant checking out this forum). So, my Needham Hill St could easily have been produced more recently, which explains its happy condition.

A knife collectors dream, Stuart ! His heart is content and smiling :)

Thanks, Gev. I think so, too.

08b7qCL.jpg

The non-Queen stealing the center spot is Ron's lunch date.
- Stuart

Last edited:
Thanks, Will. As you can see below, Half/Stop and I met for lunch today and were joined by some Queens, so your name naturally came up.

Thanks, Jack, that is what I hoped for. I met Half/Stop for lunch today and he told me that you would have something helpful (I was driving over while he was at the restaurant checking out this forum). So, my Needham Hill St could easily have been produced more recently, which explains is happy condition.

08b7qCL.jpg

- Stuart
How was lunch guys? What kind of case (small 'c') is that?

I was almost late meeting Half/Stop for lunch as I was trying to get my pics together to post. I had to take a break, showed him my totin' two for Wooden Wednesday, and get back home to get these up. An I*XL George Wostenholm (Sheffield, England) "Oil the Joints" (1930-1971) clasp jack in ebony and an Ulster Knife Co. NY (1886-1941) dogleg jack in ebony. The I*XL has two spey blades AND a toothpick and tweezers, which sends all the wrong mixed messages, as far as I'm concerned.

VAA7xsU.jpg

Lj8It7o.jpg

DhXueCZ.jpg

aiy3jeJ.jpg

vYfgrtA.jpg

VLAIM1Q.jpg

- Stuart

I was almost late meeting Half/Stop for lunch as I was trying to get my pics together to post. I had to take a break, showed him my totin' two for Wooden Wednesday, and get back home to get these up. An I*XL George Wostenholm (Sheffield, England) "Oil the Joints" (1930-1971) clasp jack in ebony and an Ulster Knife Co. NY (1886-1941) dogleg jack in ebony. The I*XL has two spey blades AND a toothpick and tweezers, which sends all the wrong mixed messages, as far as I'm concerned.

VAA7xsU.jpg

Lj8It7o.jpg

DhXueCZ.jpg

aiy3jeJ.jpg

vYfgrtA.jpg

VLAIM1Q.jpg

- Stuart

Hope you fellers had a wonderful time Stuart :) I think your IXL is known as a Saddlehorn Jack. That is what I was told here, when I picked up a single-blade model in rather poor condition. I may have a catalogue pic somewhere (if not, I'm sure @herder will :)) :) :thumbsup: In Australia, the pattern was known as The Western Castrator, I'm sure @Cambertree will be interested to see it. By the way, in 1971, George Wostenholm were bought by Joseph Rodgers, later by Imperial, then by Meteor Industries, then by the Eggington Group (current) :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Thanks, Jack, that is what I hoped for. I met Half/Stop for lunch today and he told me that you would have something helpful (I was driving over while he was at the restaurant checking out this forum). So, my Needham Hill St could easily have been produced more recently, which explains its happy condition.

08b7qCL.jpg

- Stuart
Stuart. I’m so glad you got to see me again! :D I really enjoyed the conversation and the lunch! Those two cases had some of the most wonderful Queen examples I’ve ever seen before! Truly outstanding each one of them! :thumbsup:

How was lunch guys? What kind of case (small 'c') is that?
Lunch was great Alan! I’m probably going to have some of those cases. They are very well made.

VAA7xsU.jpg

Lj8It7o.jpg

DhXueCZ.jpg

aiy3jeJ.jpg

vYfgrtA.jpg

VLAIM1Q.jpg

- Stuart
Stuart was showing me his Wooden Wednesday carries at lunch. Both were beautiful knives, but the Ulster stole the show in my opinion! There was just something about that I*XL and those two big Spey blades!! :eek: Stuart handed it to me and asked me if I needed a “Tooth Pick”! :eek: It almost made the hair stand up on the back of my neck!!! :eek::D Remember, we were eating lunch at the time! :D

There really are some very nice people on the Porch! Duckdog is definitely one of them! Thanks again for the hospitality Stuart! :thumbsup:

Before I forget, here is what I’m Totin today! ;)

41137167824_eb1c2af9ee_b_d.jpg

Lunch was good (I ate too much and drank too much ice tea), with lots of knife talk and even more laughing. The case is a United Cutlery Pocket Knife Case - Large that I got from Amazon. Not too expensive and helps corral the cutlery clutter.
- Stuart
Thanks. We're still on next time out paths cross. That goes for any porch members.

That's Noah J. Rondeau, the famed Adirondack hermit. I named my desert ironwood 77 barlow knife after him. Here's the original post about it.

3dTiWKHh.jpg

Thanks for that original post, Buzz. I found the story of Mr. Rondeau very interesting.

VAA7xsU.jpg

Lj8It7o.jpg

DhXueCZ.jpg

aiy3jeJ.jpg

vYfgrtA.jpg

VLAIM1Q.jpg

- Stuart
Another stellar duo, Stuart.
Is there any other defining characteristics of a Clasp knife other than a large one bladed folding knife with a backspring?

08b7qCL.jpg

- Stuart

My apologies Stuart, I somehow managed to miss this post earlier! :eek: I'm glad I found it, what a fantastic pic! :) :thumbsup:

Doing a pre-mortem on the cobra today. Been losing oil pressure once the oil is hot. The oil pump seems to have been self-clearancing. Only about 300 miles on it, the tips of the rotors are scarred and the top of the rotors and inside of housing is grooved. The bottoms (that you see) aren’t as bad but still not good. And it still doesn’t turn freely. I hope that’s the only problem and not something from the motor went through it. It doesn’t appear that’s the case.

Heartland clip helped me drop the pan and pull the pump.

DBBBA2BF-FCD1-479C-A69B-D00CBBD9B060.jpeg

In Australia, the pattern was known as The Western Castrator
Yikes! See half/Stops comment below. And, again, thanks, Jack.

Slipped this old Armstrong barlow into my pocket today...

Who wouldn't.? Handsome knife!

There was just something about that I*XL and those two big Spey blades!! :eek: Stuart handed it to me and asked me if I needed a “Tooth Pick”! :eek:

Yes, it will put you off your feed pretty quick if you see the potential of the spey/tweezer/toothpick combination. Western Castrator, my . . . . .!

Is there any other defining characteristics of a Clasp knife other than a large one bladed folding knife with a backspring?

Levine puts the curved regular jack (not "curved jacks") and clasp jack in the same grouping. In fact, several 1 and 2 blade serpentine jacks seem to be called clasp knives. I took my identification from an illustration in his section on "Curved Regular and Clasp Knives", which includes both 1 and 2 blade and 1 and 2 spring knives. MY Buck 110 is also a clasp knife in his book.
- Stuart

For Tuesday, I'm totin' two that I haven't toted before: an Edward Weck & Sons sleeveboard pen (1892-1943) and a Robeson SHUREDGE Pocket Eze dogleg jack (1922-1946). The Pocket Eze gets its moniker from the fully sunken joints (Weck's are semi-sunk).

9yJVCwR.jpg

Gge4EQ3.jpg

K5oGvgG.jpg

- Stuart
wowza^9!

Last edited:
Back