What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Captivating pair, Ron! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: I think a likable lad from Leeds carried the same pair quite recently! :)

Congrats on the new Buck canoe, Ron! :thumbsup::cool::cool: Sounds like you're choosing the right tools for the job at hand; enjoy the new driveway and sidewalk!
I saw that our friend Jack had paired up this same duo the other day! I always suspected he was a man of impeccable taste! ;) :D The stainless choices just seemed appropriate considering the temp and extremely high humidity! :eek: The Buck import canoe seems to be a good value.

SoULACl.jpg

A Rough Rider Half Hawk. A pretty darn close match to a Case Loom Fixer pattern, which is not totally surprising if you consider the ownership of Rough Rider and their relationship to a previous owner of Case. Case discontinued the pattern in the 1970's. The closest knife of recent production is the GEC "weaver jack", which had the same blade combination, but was a bit shorter, had a different handle shape, and was of course, bladed in 1095. I'm sure y'all are aware of my preference for stainless.

Really liking this blade combination. I'm not a big fan of half stops, but they are not a deal breaker and seem to fit well on this pattern. Ditto on being bare headed.
lPIcoHi.jpg

The Case Loom Fixer pattern was still used by my loom fixers in the early 70's. The local hardware store kept them in stock until Case discontinued the pattern.

The Case Loom Fixer pattern was still used by my loom fixers in the early 70's. The local hardware store kept them in stock until Case discontinued the pattern.

If you know how they were specifically used to fix looms, could you comment in it?

That's a beauty, Stuart! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: The mark side bone almost shimmers like something you'd see on the bottom of a shallow creek in the sunlight!

Thanks, GT. Yes, it surprises me that the company was so short-lived.

Is this the first time anyone has carried it, Stuart? :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup: Looks unused, although I think it's quite old, isn't it?

Yes, from what I know from the seller and can see from the knife, box, and included Schrade user instruction/warranty paper, it is the first time that it has been carried. It has the 1946-1973 tang stamp. It's a handy size for carry.

- Stuart

Thank you, GT! I feel so fortunate to own it, and as soon as I opened that box from Glenn, I knew that it was to become one of the "crown jewels" of my small collection.

This thread must be more popular than it used to be! :thumbsup::cool: I can fall so far behind so quickly. :rolleyes:

Incredible stag, johnny! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Looks good enough to eat!!

Speaking of delicious stag, you have a whole meal there, Alan. That Cajun blackened zulu looks very tasty, and who could resist buttery popcorn stag for dessert? ;):thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Hope the test went well for you, SV-97 SV-97 ! :thumbsup::thumbsup: It looks very complex! ;):cool: Two admirable Barlows - the Böker looks real, but the Lionsteel seems imaginary to me! :thumbsup::cool:;)

Congrats on the new gunstock, DelOro DelOro ! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

That's a beauty, Stuart! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: The mark side bone almost shimmers like something you'd see on the bottom of a shallow creek in the sunlight!

Captivating pair, Ron! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: I think a likable lad from Leeds carried the same pair quite recently! :)

Who can blame you, John? :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

That's one of my favorites among your Barlows, Dean; unforgettable bone/jigging!! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Fine pair of cutting tools front and center, H&S! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Sounds right, Lance; I think Böker often uses that style of etch, too. :):cool:

That's a mean green machine, Ken! :thumbsup::cool::cool: Talk about an old school tractor and cultivator (I think :confused:)! :eek::cool:

Devastating duo, Nick! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks, Gev. :) I'm not even half the way to triple digits yet, but I do find the pattern hard to resist! :D:rolleyes:

Notable pair of vintage Barlows, Harry! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks, John. :)

Thanks, Stuart. :) I really like big toothpicks with a secondary blade.

Thanks for the info, Jeff; I'll keep my eyes peeled for sightings of your various TL-29 mods. :cool::thumbsup:

There's another TL-29 mod right there! Nice stag!! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Charming Churchill, FBC! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Is that a rusty sign it's on? It looks familiar, but I'm coming up blank on an ID.

IMHO, that's an ideal stockman!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Shawn, that Barlow's bone/jigging is sensational!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Congrats on the new Buck canoe, Ron! :thumbsup::cool::cool: Sounds like you're choosing the right tools for the job at hand; enjoy the new driveway and sidewalk!

I was thinking about knives I might post in the current "Aesthetics" thread, and my autumn harvest bone humpback stockman was near the top of my list.

Right, Dean; the first RRs I ever purchased were a set of 12 different patterns, all in amber jigged bone, and that congress is one of them. :) I thought the congress pattern might turn out to be one of my favorites, but that's still the only one I have. :confused:

:D:D:thumbsup::cool:

Is this the first time anyone has carried it, Stuart? :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup: Looks unused, although I think it's quite old, isn't it?

Congrats! :thumbsup::cool: Heck of a knife, and the blade etch is something I haven't seen before! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Looks like that will cut up a storm! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Congrats on the fine Wright stag senator, and accolades to @HST for his generosity! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool: I won a knife just like that in a GAW (except your stag is better ;)) and am very proud to have it.

Nothing unlucky about that one! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Feels good to me. :) The "inside" of the bend is spanned by the closed blade, so the "bottom" of the handle feels straight. The bend on the spine side falls in a good spot in my grip, and feels like it gets more fingers on the handle than would be the case for a straight handle. The bend isn't in the middle of the handle though, and the grip is slightly different for each blade.

Have a safe and tasty trip, Mike! ;):thumbsup:

- GT

I saw that our friend Jack had paired up this same duo the other day! I always suspected he was a man of impeccable taste! ;) :D The stainless choices just seemed appropriate considering the temp and extremely high humidity! :eek: The Buck import canoe seems to be a good value.

Thanks for the kind words my friends :D :) I'm carrying that same pair again today, the edge on the ebony '18 is ready for its first touch-up, so I am looking forward to that :) Have a great Sunday everyone :thumbsup:

2018 Ebony Guardians Lambsfoot 14-1.JPG

2018 Ancient 4-2.JPG

This thread must be more popular than it used to be! :thumbsup::cool: I can fall so far behind so quickly. :rolleyes:

Incredible stag, johnny! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Looks good enough to eat!!

Speaking of delicious stag, you have a whole meal there, Alan. That Cajun blackened zulu looks very tasty, and who could resist buttery popcorn stag for dessert? ;):thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Hope the test went well for you, SV-97 SV-97 ! :thumbsup::thumbsup: It looks very complex! ;):cool: Two admirable Barlows - the Böker looks real, but the Lionsteel seems imaginary to me! :thumbsup::cool:;)

Congrats on the new gunstock, DelOro DelOro ! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Who can blame you, John? :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

That's one of my favorites among your Barlows, Dean; unforgettable bone/jigging!! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Fine pair of cutting tools front and center, H&S! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Sounds right, Lance; I think Böker often uses that style of etch, too. :):cool:

That's a mean green machine, Ken! :thumbsup::cool::cool: Talk about an old school tractor and cultivator (I think :confused:)! :eek::cool:

Devastating duo, Nick! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks, Gev. :) I'm not even half the way to triple digits yet, but I do find the pattern hard to resist! :D:rolleyes:

Notable pair of vintage Barlows, Harry! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks, John. :)

Thanks, Stuart. :) I really like big toothpicks with a secondary blade.

Thanks for the info, Jeff; I'll keep my eyes peeled for sightings of your various TL-29 mods. :cool::thumbsup:

There's another TL-29 mod right there! Nice stag!! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Charming Churchill, FBC! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Is that a rusty sign it's on? It looks familiar, but I'm coming up blank on an ID.

IMHO, that's an ideal stockman!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Shawn, that Barlow's bone/jigging is sensational!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I was thinking about knives I might post in the current "Aesthetics" thread, and my autumn harvest bone humpback stockman was near the top of my list.

Right, Dean; the first RRs I ever purchased were a set of 12 different patterns, all in amber jigged bone, and that congress is one of them. :) I thought the congress pattern might turn out to be one of my favorites, but that's still the only one I have. :confused:

:D:D:thumbsup::cool:

Congrats! :thumbsup::cool: Heck of a knife, and the blade etch is something I haven't seen before! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Looks like that will cut up a storm! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Congrats on the fine Wright stag senator, and accolades to @HST for his generosity! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool: I won a knife just like that in a GAW (except your stag is better ;)) and am very proud to have it.

Nothing unlucky about that one! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Feels good to me. :) The "inside" of the bend is spanned by the closed blade, so the "bottom" of the handle feels straight. The bend on the spine side falls in a good spot in my grip, and feels like it gets more fingers on the handle than would be the case for a straight handle. The bend isn't in the middle of the handle though, and the grip is slightly different for each blade.

Have a safe and tasty trip, Mike! ;):thumbsup:

- GT
Haha, thanks :D it went very well ;)

Our three grand daughters are here for a week :). Ages 7,11, and 12.
I know the terrible teens are looming, but for right here and now, they are just perfect.
Time for a quiet cup or two before they wake up...
View attachment 946255

Have a great day Jeff :) Maybe your grand daughters won't turn terrible, not all kids do (or they are selective about who they're terrible to). My eldest never went through them at all :) My middle daughter was a bit wayward, but not really sulky or unpleasant :rolleyes: The youngest started early and was a terror into her twenties! :eek: o_O ;) :thumbsup:

Back