What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

We're heading out to church in a few minutes. I think this one will do just fine! Hope everyone has a nice Sunday! :)

41639198915_d5a8f3a442_b.jpg
Mighty fine...wow !!!

If you know how they were specifically used to fix looms, could you comment in it?

Be glad to. This applies to pre 1950's shuttle type looms, as the design and materials were much different in air jet, water jet, and rapier type looms. Fly shuttle looms used a lot of wood in many of the major power transfer components, and used leather to slow down and cushion the shuttle being thrown from one side to another mechanically to insert one pick (thread), generally this was about 180 to as high as 250 picks per minute. The leather needed trimming from time to time (from nicks and cuts from a wayward shuttle would cut the thread) and cloth needed to be cut to work underneath the loom, the shuttles were made of wood mostly and sometimes a knife was needed to trim the fur used to line them (to partially maintain the thread tension). Wood used in the raceways needed trimming from damage sometimes and the very old looms used heavy cordage to move the harness frames up and down (they had wood components as well in the early years. Here's a video of a loom that might be helpful in seeing the workings, we had five thousand at one location I worked. The Loom Fixer pattern was the right tool for working with leather, wood, and cordage safely.

That's a beauty, Ron. Have a blessed Sunday.

r8shell r8shell I understand why you have that pair on hand again. Truly fine examples of working knives.

- Stuart
Thank you, Stuart. I hope to do a little whittling today, and figured the little Robeson will help with carving the detail.
I had to dig down in my pearl pit to get today's totin' pair: an E.C. Simmons Keen Kutter sleeveboard lobster pen (1870-1940) and a Utica bottle opener pen (I have a hard time putting a date on a Utica).

wu2KCjD.jpg

7NQR2wN.jpg

soBcK95.jpg

- Stuart
Lovely pearls! :thumbsup:

Be glad to. This applies to pre 1950's shuttle type looms, as the design and materials were much different in air jet, water jet, and rapier type looms. Fly shuttle looms used a lot of wood in many of the major power transfer components, and used leather to slow down and cushion the shuttle being thrown from one side to another mechanically to insert one pick (thread), generally this was about 180 to as high as 250 picks per minute. The leather needed trimming from time to time (from nicks and cuts from a wayward shuttle would cut the thread) and cloth needed to be cut to work underneath the loom, the shuttles were made of wood mostly and sometimes a knife was needed to trim the fur used to line them (to partially maintain the thread tension). Wood used in the raceways needed trimming from damage sometimes and the very old looms used heavy cordage to move the harness frames up and down (they had wood components as well in the early years. Here's a video of a loom that might be helpful in seeing the workings, we had five thousand at one location I worked. The Loom Fixer pattern was the right tool for working with leather, wood, and cordage safely.

I think that's the best explanation I've seen here :) :thumbsup: Have you ever posted in the Tackler's Knife thread Jerry?

Wheatley Brothers Tacklers Knife 3-6.jpg

I had to dig down in my pearl pit to get today's totin' pair: an E.C. Simmons Keen Kutter sleeveboard lobster pen (1870-1940) and a Utica bottle opener pen (I have a hard time putting a date on a Utica).

wu2KCjD.jpg

7NQR2wN.jpg

soBcK95.jpg

- Stuart

Lovely Pearl Stuart :thumbsup:

"The Rains Came" by Louis Bromfield ;):)

42296102972_8467f30f40_b.jpg

VERY nice Gev :) :thumbsup:

Great-looking Lambsfoot Steve :thumbsup:

Today I have a bit of a dilemma. Now I have two #66 knives...
Of course I have my trusty #66 Stockman that is with me more days than not. But I just picked up a #66 Jack off the exchange from @Suttree1, already nicely broke-in. I'd been looking for a #66 Jack for a while because I figured I'd love it. I was right! But now my beloved Stockman has a big rival for pocket time. Not going to carry both at once, but I can see switching back and forth a lot before one of them declares themselves a clear winner. It's a nice problem to have :cool:

Today I have a bit of a dilemma. Now I have two #66 knives...
Of course I have my trusty #66 Stockman that is with me more days than not. But I just picked up a #66 Jack off the exchange from @Suttree1, already nicely broke-in. I'd been looking for a #66 Jack for a while because I figured I'd love it. I was right! But now my beloved Stockman has a big rival for pocket time. Not going to carry both at once, but I can see switching back and forth a lot before one of them declares themselves a clear winner. It's a nice problem to have :cool:

Easy choice, the top one for even numbered days, the bottom one for odd.

Jack Black Jack Black no I have not.

Steve Pfeiffer included a very basic explanation I gave him some years for his 2nd edition of Collecting Case Knives. It's so odd, I had never heard the pattern called a Loom Fixer until I read Steve's first book, it was just a pattern I saw fixers using. The weaving plant where I spent most of my manufacturing years produced cotton sheeting, it had been in operation since the late 1880's. We had over a thousand looms in one room, it was hot, the humidity was high, dusty, and noisy. We did not have overhead belt driven looms, but one company we acquired, according to the old employees, still had the belt driven looms into the early 70's before OSHA shut them down. It was incredibly dangerous.

Jack Black Jack Black no I have not.

Steve Pfeiffer included a very basic explanation I gave him some years for his 2nd edition of Collecting Case Knives. It's so odd, I had never heard the pattern called a Loom Fixer until I read Steve's first book, it was just a pattern I saw fixers using. The weaving plant where I spent most of my manufacturing years produced cotton sheeting, it had been in operation since the late 1880's. We had over a thousand looms in one room, it was hot, the humidity was high, dusty, and noisy. We did not have overhead belt driven looms, but one company we acquired, according to the old employees, still had the belt driven looms into the early 70's before OSHA shut them down. It was incredibly dangerous.

I just had a look for the thread I was thinking of, and I think it is this one: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/sheffield-made-tackler-knives.1468885/

There's another member here who did the same job I think :) In the area of Yorkshire I live in now, there were hundreds of mills, and plenty of folk still around who worked in them (They can all lip-read!). The 'Tackler' or 'Tackler's Knife', as it's known here is a common pattern, though it comes with either a Wharncliffe or Sheepsfoot blade, and still in production. Here's one Wright's made for me last year :thumbsup:

AW Special Tackler 1-3.JPG

I've posted lots of pics of old looms up in the past, as there are several good local museums packed with them, but I might struggle to find my posts (though I have the original photos still) :thumbsup:

IMG_5668S.JPG

IMG_5703S.JPG

Back