What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

That's one of my favorites among your Barlows, Dean; unforgettable bone/jigging!! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Right, Dean; the first RRs I ever purchased were a set of 12 different patterns, all in amber jigged bone, and that congress is one of them. :) I thought the congress pattern might turn out to be one of my favorites, but that's still the only one I have. :confused:

- GT

Thanks, Gary, my Schrade Cut. Co. Barlow's covers are among the best I've seen. I didn't realize you had 12 of that RR series; the bone look great on every one I've seen!

I had to dig down in my pearl pit to get today's totin' pair: an E.C. Simmons Keen Kutter sleeveboard lobster pen (1870-1940) and a Utica bottle opener pen (I have a hard time putting a date on a Utica).

wu2KCjD.jpg

7NQR2wN.jpg

soBcK95.jpg

- Stuart

Absolutely stunning pearl knives, Stuart! :thumbsup:

Last night, for the second time this week, I posted in this thread and forgot to include some of the knives I'm carrying this week! :eek::( (My "week" for my knife rotation is typically Monday through Sunday.) Here are the ones I haven't yet posted from the past week.

Peanut-ish Knife of the Week is this Camillus 21(thanks, Mike):
Ztznsma.jpg

Stag/Horn Knife of the Week is a Joker with authentic bull horn from Toledo, Spain:
Q3zIIHb.jpg

My Free Choice Knife of the Week is the modified Case mini trapper that's a by-product of @black mamba's Beer Belly project (thanks, Jeff):
modMT.mark.2open.jpg

- GT

Last night, for the second time this week, I posted in this thread and forgot to include some of the knives I'm carrying this week! :eek::( (My "week" for my knife rotation is typically Monday through Sunday.) Here are the ones I haven't yet posted from the past week.

Peanut-ish Knife of the Week is this Camillus 21(thanks, Mike):
Ztznsma.jpg

Stag/Horn Knife of the Week is a Joker with authentic bull horn from Toledo, Spain:
Q3zIIHb.jpg

My Free Choice Knife of the Week is the modified Case mini trapper that's a by-product of @black mamba's Beer Belly project (thanks, Jeff):
View attachment 946430

- GT

Nice trio Gary !

Thanks @Jack Black those are some old spinning frames for sure, but I am not familiar with that particular type. The photo below shows jaquard looms. The thousands (usually) of cords (tie ups) are used to control individual heddles to make a pattern in the cloth. Those are complex ones. We had a few in our operation, for institutional type sheets, the sheets had a band down the fabric with the name of the hospital (usually) woven into the cloth. Ours did not require the girder structure to support the control head, since the woven pattern was only an inch or two wide in two locations in the fabric. I'm not very familiar with them we only had a few and only one fixer could work on them.

Evidently a knife with a sheepsfoot or a blunt wharnclife was pretty common in the old textile mills. The beginning of my career was the tail end of the golden years of shuttle looms.

"The Rains Came" by Louis Bromfield ;):)

I'm really getting to like the sowbelly pattern (loved pork belly for a long time already). That's a fine one, Gev.

Lovely pearls! :thumbsup:

Thanks, r8shell.

Sometimes you end up with similar sizes.

Pretty pair, Alan.

Look how the kicks are made in the spring and not the blades.

Excellent stuff. I learn something new here everyday. Nice knife, too.

Lovely Pearl Stuart :thumbsup:

Absolutely stunning pearl knives, Stuart! :thumbsup:

Thanks, Jack and Dean, y'all's and r8shell's prior postings were an inspiration for me to dig deep in the pearl pit.

GT, I often like to pick and choose among your postings, but ALL OF THESE are very fine. Kudos!!

Travman Travman Particularly pretty pair, pal.
SteveC SteveC That's a very nice Wright foot o'lamb, Steve. You just don't take your foot off of the pedal, do you?
JB in SC JB in SC and @Jack Black Thank you for a wonderful industrial history lesson. I grew up in North Carolina and we had a significant textile industry for a long time. I never saw the inside of a mill until now. Something new and useful here everyday!!

- Stuart

Are those recent additions r8shell? Very nice indeed! :thumbsup::cool:

Mighty fine...wow !!!
Thanks Gev! :)

That's a beauty, Ron. Have a blessed Sunday.

r8shell r8shell I understand why you have that pair on hand again. Truly fine examples of working knives.

- Stuart
Thanks Stuart I hope your having a blessed day also my friend! :)

"The Rains Came" by Louis Bromfield ;):)

42296102972_8467f30f40_b.jpg
I hope they come here today or tomorrow! We’re getting a little dry! My oh my that Primble is indeed a gem! :cool::D

I'm really getting to like the sowbelly pattern (loved pork belly for a long time already). That's a fine one, Gev.
It's one of my favorite patterns and I wonder why I don't have more ? Thank you, Stuart. Have a fine day Sir ! The pearls you posted are off the charts...wow. Thanks for the look !!

Are those recent additions r8shell? Very nice indeed! :thumbsup::cool:
Yes they are, thank you. The Barlow got here on Friday, and the little Robeson was a gift from a friend yesterday. (we meet to CE & CF over lunch on most Saturdays. I need to dig around here for something he might like for next week) I think the pair will handle any cutting needed for what's left of the weekend. :):thumbsup:

Back